What skater in history would you like to interview? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What skater in history would you like to interview?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Really? 47 and still dancing? I’ll have to google her. Mrrice likely knows this but I googled Maria. Hockey husband and three kids. And I read about that long ago day someone blew up her car. Did they never find out who? Thank God she was not in it. This makes recent Russian Drama look tame.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really? 47 and still dancing? I’ll have to google her. Mrrice likely knows this but I googled Maria. Hockey husband and three kids. And I read about that long ago day someone blew up her car. Did they never find out who? Thank God she was not in it. This makes recent Russian Drama look tame.

I don't understand why it's such an amazing thing that Sonia is still dancing at 47. I think it's wonderful. Kurt's still skating at 53 and better than ever IMHO.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Cohen!! She’s brilliant and one of my favorite skaters ever!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Everyone loved Sasha at least I think so. Her Dark eyes Sp at Turin Olympics was one of the best Oly shorts I can remember. What would you ask Sasha if you could? I think she would be very honest interview subject for sure.

le01

Rinkside
It would be interesting to interview someone with over the top personality like Oksana “Sasha” Grishuk but then I’d probably be too scared to meet her after reading Tarasova’s memoirs

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another skater I’d like to interview if she would open up is Kerrigan. We all know so much of Harding’s thoughts but I want to know why Nancy was never angry in public and always held back. Even after the movie with Margot Robbie and the press even helping to rehab Tonya why did Nancy not once get really angry and tell us plainly exactly what she felt about Tonya and the truth? Her career is long over and still so measured. Never once did she say what most would or wish a house fell on Tonya which would be understandable.

Well, look what happened when Kerrigan expressed her understandable frustration and anger before the medal ceremony at the Olympics. And soon after the Olympics, when she was overheard saying how conflicted she felt about doing, what was it, a parade where she wore her medal?

Even on this forum, whenever Nancy is mentioned, some people feel the need to post how much they dislike/hate her for those two moments when she slipped. And IIRC, she didn't know she was on microphone in either instance.

And no book about her life which is pretty interesting as yet. He family, her special mom, her falling in love with older married manager, her struggle to have kids. I think she has a very interesting auto bio in her.

It's her private life.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Lots of great interview ideas here. I'm kicking myself for not hanging around my local rink enough to get to know Lloyd "Skippy" Baxter, the inventor of the back-flip. He knew EVERYBODY. He skated with Sonia Henie's ice shows; he taught Robin Cousins the back-flip, the list goes on and on. He passed a few years back, and he seemed like a really nice person, so I probably wouldn't have heard all the gossip and dirt that I'd want to hear, but it's a shame he never wrote a book. A friend of mine was his nurse after he broke his hip in his early 80s, and she heard a lot of nice stories about Charles Schulz (who built the rink), but she didn't know enough about skating to ask about any skaters. He was at my last group lesson and told us we were all going to the Olympics. Such a sweet man. He was loved, locally.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So who would you interview or just have dinner with and why? I’m a bit bored waiting for all the Nationals to happen lol.

This is a good question for a thread. I'd like to say that if anyone wants to watch some more skating content, TSL's interviews of Rudy Galindo and Caitlin Yankowskas are some of the best. They both were able to speak sensitively about how it felt to have their pairs partners break the partnership when they were literally at the top of their game, top of their country's pairs skaters, and very competitive in the world. Dave and Jenny's questions were sensitive too, and respectful.

Then there's the other side: Ashley Cain-Gribble has never said a word about Joshua Reagan breaking their partnership ... to skate with Caitlin Yankowskas after she and Marina Zueva came to Nationals to scout a new partner. And I really respect her desire and decision to be completely private about that.

TSL's interview of Kristi Yamaguchi is another favorite.

Imagine

Medalist
Sasha Cohen, the greatest artist on ice of all time. I need to know where all that talent stems from. I've read her book, and that just can't be her. It's so shallow and superficial. I want to know the real Sasha Cohen.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I did not even know Sasha wrote a book. Was she young then? She has been through more life now. She might be more thoughtful in her answers. I also would love to ask Michelle what happened with Frank and Laurie. And if she ever regretted it. But I think a More mature a Michelle will write a book one day when older and maybe be as frank as Dorothy Hamill was in her book-just to set some records straight.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean, but mostly I'd love to know stuff about their private lives (no, I don't think they ever secretly dated), but I don't think that's the kind of interview the OP meant.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Unless Kurt or Sonia say so publicly, it should not be discussed here.

Also, Sonia is closer to 50, at 47.
Kurt would be awesome to interview regardless of his marriage but to get in his mind about the 1992 and 1994 olympics. I would love to interview Maria B and find out about her nerves and how she was treated by the Russian Federation. There is a skater many do not know or remember who was murdered but some suggest she had a fascinating personality and that is Kira Ivanova. I would love to know more about her, how it was to compete with Katarina Witt, was she intimidated and her reaction to winning the first Soviet women medal