Whatever happened to...Sima Ganaba | Golden Skate

Whatever happened to...Sima Ganaba

Is Sima Ganaba still in the sport? IIRC she won the U.S. pairs novice title quite a few years ago skating with her brother Amir. They eventually made it to the senior ranks, but without marked success. I see that Amir is skating with a new partner, Marisa Sharma. Sharma and Ganaba were scheduled to compete in the 2005 U.S. championships, but withdrew.

IIRC Sima was quite a few years younger than her brother. She was a little doll of a girl as a youngster. As a teenager she was a strikingly beautiful performer, very musical and a natural dancer, IMHO.

Is she still around?

http://www.leigh-i-am.com/Nationals01/901nats15.jpg

Mathman

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Is Sima Ganaba still in the sport?
No, she hasn't competed in several seasons (Ganaba/Ganaba finished 11th of 13 in Senior pairs at 2002 Nationals) and I haven't heard that she has any plans to return in pairs (she's not on any of the partner search listings that I've seen recently).

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
I feel kind of bad reporting this, because the source was really disturbing to my friends and I. We were waiting for the Trimet at Nationals and got stuck in an unwanted converation with a parent. This skating dad was quite obnoxious and rude so take it with a grain of salt.

He hinted at a large weight gain that has kept Sima from competing. Based on the reality of some of his other comments, that could actually mean that she went through puberty and lost her jumps. I doubt that she's as bad off as he hinted. He was vicious to everyone and a real jerk.

jesslily

Final Flight
Every girl experiences puberty and gains weight, but if you train right, you should not loose all the jumps. As a matter of fact, you should not loose any jump.
Ganaba/Ganaba were undermarked at their first nationals and then they slipped away from the national scene.