Who do you think should replace | Golden Skate

Who do you think should replace

tracylynn

Rinkside
Bijoux said:
Dick and Peggy when the time comes?

I don't live in Europe but I do like listening to the commentators of Eurosport - England. I know they can't come over here but hopefully Dick and Peggy's replacements are just as good as those guys.

jesslily

Final Flight
Michelle and Brian B.. Michellle speaks clearly and in good voice. She and Brian are good friends so they will work well as a team. If Brian can make himself speak a little slower, the result will be a lot better. Kurt Browning's biggest problem is he talks too fast. Commentating is similar to anchor man's job. You speak to larger audience in a formal way. So you should talk clearly and slowly. If you talk to one or two persons who are very close to you and know what you mean before you finish the sentence, you could talk fast.

euterpe

Medalist
Somehow I can't picture Michelle commenting on Sasha's performance. It's too soon! Maybe in a few years, after she finishes college and gets some communication courses under her belt.

I think they're trying out Kat Witt right now, and maybe Kurt Browning. But I'd prefer Paul Wylie to Kurt. Kurt has a great sense of humor, but he'd be good only as a sidekick, not the main commentator. Some of his jokes will just go over the heads of the average TV viewer who's not a dyed-in-the-wool FS fan such as we are.

I do NOT want to see Rosalyn Sumners as a commentator---too catty and judgmental. Or Sandra Bezic---too boring.

I must say I am sick of Peggy lately. She keeps saying Sasha never strikes a bad position---and then Sasha does the world's ugliest Biellmann! A commentator should at least give the appearance of being unbiased.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I don't want to think of that day! My world will fall apart! :p I disagree about Michelle and Brian B. although technically they would be great. But neither of them have good eniough speaking voices for TV. Both are WAY too nasal. (Okay, maybe I'm over sensitive because I used to teach singing, but it's a real issue for me.) I would like Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie or Todd Eldredge--I like their speaking voices. I really can't think of any woman who has a nice enough speaking voice, except for Roz Sumners. Definitely not Tara or Sarah! Nancy Kerrigan has a nice voice and has been very insightful when I've seen her commentary.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that Michelle could start in as the interviewer as soon as she likes. Her "too nasal voice" won't be such a handicap, and, after Peter C, the chief requirement will be good sense and good manners -- and Michelle has both of these qualities.

Eldredgefan2001

Rinkside
I'd have to say Paul (or Todd) and Susie. All of these skaters really have a good quality to their speaking voices, and handle lines well. They don't sound as if they're reading, and sound natural with a microphone. :love:

ks777

Record Breaker
I like Nancy Kerrigan as a commentator a lot, maybe her and Kurt? Or I wouldn't mind seeing Nancy and Tonya commentating together and call the best dressed and worst dressed skaters just like Joan rivers and her daughter.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
No one who refuses to understand CoP, thinks it's rocket science because s/he is math-phobic, talks entirely about "artistry" as if that is the only aspect of components, can't tell the audience why any specific of skating is good or how it is flawed -- and not just a couple of spins -- or why an element will and won't received credit or wasn't scored at a given level, and who refuses to teach the audience about skating.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Brian and Michelle! However I would like replacements for NBC. Scott drives me insane and Sandra comes across as snotty.

XxSweetKissesxX

Match Penalty
Even better they can hire Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson. I can imagine Simon's comment on the skating, "He looks like he just came out of an 80's Gay Bar." (on Brian Joubert's LP costume) I can see the snarks coming and he knows nothing about skating...

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
XxSweetKissesxX said:
Even better they can hire Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson. I can imagine Simon's comment on the skating, "He looks like he just came out of an 80's Gay Bar." (on Brian Joubert's LP costume) I can see the snarks coming and he knows nothing about skating...

:rofl: :rofl: That would be amazing to see! Just thinking about that picture makes me hoot!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But I would like to see Kurt and maybe Michelle. Not Kat Witt. She is not smooth enough and it was hard to understand her at Campbell's. Michelle may be a good one although I agree that maybe in a few years after she has been out of the limelight a bit.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie (he is knowledgable about pairs), Kristi Yamaguchi, and Terry Gannon wound be my picks for 4 commentators... Chris Dean would be good for ice dance lol

tvcats

Rinkside
I would pick Paul Wylie & Kristi Yamaguchi. But I have enjoyed Kurt's commentary & I thought Kat's at-the-board comments were alright.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eldredgefan2001 said:
I'd have to say Paul (or Todd) and Susie. All of these skaters really have a good quality to their speaking voices, and handle lines well. They don't sound as if they're reading, and sound natural with a microphone. :love:
Now I could buy into this package easily. I also think they would try to find out who the skaters are. :laugh: :laugh: It would seem to me that you would do your homework for this kind of job.

Dee

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kristi Yamaguchi is far too nice to be a skating commentator. Sometimes you have to tell it like it is, and I can't see Kristi doing that. She is a sweetheart and I love her, but I don't think she'd have any bite.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I think the only replacement for Dick could be Scott. I think he'd work well with Dorothy Hamill, Kat Witt or Nancy Kerrigan. I think Scott and Kat would be funny, knowledgeable and not afraid to be honest. I have always liked Scott's enthusiasm, and think Kat would grow as honest as Dick with experience.

I will really hate to see Dick go. Peggy is too bland, she wants to be liked. Paul Wylie is good but again, too nice. I like commentators unafraid to say what we are all thinking. I liked Kurt's honesty, just think he needs to slow down and watch his canadian accent. How about Elvis Stojko?

Susie Wynne is so boring...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I believe commentators need to maintain some degree of objectivity. Scott's knee jerk emotional reaction over the SLC pairs competition did a lot of damage to his credibility as a commentator as far as I am concerned. As much as I love Scott the skater, his actions were unprofessional and reprehensible.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I wonder what Peggy sounded like in the early 1970s. She has such a great speaking voice now. I wonder if that was natural or whether she took speech instruction.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have never liked Button´s commenting, because I don´t like commentators that use too many words during a performance. I wish to be able to enjoy a skating performance and music without having to listen to constant blabbering à la Button. Only a couple words about succesful or unsuccesful element is enough, in my opinion. After the performance is the time for a commentator to speak more widely.

I have heard Wylie´s commentary and really liked it.