Who do you think should replace | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who do you think should replace

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
I think the only replacement for Dick could be Scott. I think he'd work well with Dorothy Hamill, Kat Witt or Nancy Kerrigan. I think Scott and Kat would be funny, knowledgeable and not afraid to be honest. I have always liked Scott's enthusiasm, and think Kat would grow as honest as Dick with experience.

I don't know how well Dorothy and Scott would work together... assuming his book didn't over-exaggerate. I know they've "made up" since his writing about her short time with SOI, but I dunno

same with Nancy... he burned a few bridges I think in his book :laugh:

and while I agree his last olympics commentary was completely WRONG on so many levels he DID apologise against NBC's judgement.... I think he was the only one from that night to do so... so at least he figured out he was wrong...

yes it was unprofessional, but all pros have that problem at one time or another in their career :laugh:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Kat & Kurt are a fantastic duo. Kat's by-the-boards comments are just a 'place holder' for when Peggy leaves. Kat has over ten years of doing Peggy's type of commentating work for German TV. She has the talent & knowledge to step into the main job at ABC/ESPN.

I love Kurt's natural style & honesty -- telling it like it is without the over-emotionality & 'agenda' of Scott Hamilton. Kurt uses fewer words, in less time, to convey what all of the others say. Kurt is a joy!!!:rock:

euterpe

Medalist
I'm not sure Scott can do Olympic commentary. He had to have surgery for a pituitary tumor and that can wreak havoc with eyesight, at least temporarily. AFAIK, he is still having vision problems.

I always thought Dick and Peggy were the perfect combination. He can be brutal in his commentary--then Peggy finds something good to say about the skater who Dick just raked over the coals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I'm not sure Scott can do Olympic commentary. He had to have surgery for a pituitary tumor and that can wreak havoc with eyesight, at least temporarily. AFAIK, he is still having vision problems.

he's hosting a bunch of events

he said in the WebMD chat on Nov. 1st that he does hope to make another skating comeback and if it is to happen it will be NEXT season...

euterpe

Medalist
Hosting events is one thing, but doing TV commentary on the Olympics when your eyesight isn't good enough is quite another thing entirely.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
hi toni

could you briefly summarise what Scott said about Doro and Nancy in his book?

thanks...enquring mind here:)

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Susie Wynne and Peter Carruthers are a good combination IMO. They're the least biased commentators I've seen. They also have smooth voices that blend in better. Wylie's voice to me was completely distracting, and he talked too much during performances.

In the future I think I'd like to see Johnny Weir commentate.:rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
could you briefly summarise what Scott said about Doro and Nancy in his book?

thanks...enquring mind here:)

ok I haven't read his book in ages, but IIRC

Dorothy and he had a falling out over her then husband. he didn't like him and said so and she got pissed... there were other things at play as well but I can't remember exactly

As far as Nancy is concerned it had to do with her apparent change after the whack heard round the world. He said she changed in a lot of ways and then what sealed the deal had something to do with an event she hosted that he couldn't attend (or was it the other way around? can't remember)...

the book was written in 98/99 so a lot could have changed by now though :unsure:

he also had some very um not so positive things to say about Mr. Button :laugh: and how he ran the world pros back when Scott was skating in the event:laugh: