Who is your fave Northamerican Ice dance couple? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is your fave Northamerican Ice dance couple?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
During the years I have watched ice dance much, much less than other skating. That is why I have very few global favourites from older times or newer times. From the N/A skaters I never really liked Bourne & Kraatz, but there has been some others though, whose skating has pleased my eye more: e.g. Lang & Tchernyshev and Gregory & Petukhov. Other names do not come into my mind now, and I did not watch Skate America 2005 ice dance clips, so I don´t know about new skaters, LOL.

Edited to add: LOL, I forgot Belbin and Agosto!!! They are my big favourites.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Ironically, Punsalen/Swallow and Roca/Sur were friends until P&S vocalized opposition to Gorsha receiving expedited citizenship prior to the Olympics. Roca/Sur were unable to compete for the US in the Oly's because Gorsha did not get his citizenship in time.

I understood why P&S would oppose because I think there was only 1 spot available and R&S were the reigning US Champions in ice dance.

I saw that Tanith's cause has been brought to Congress.

Back on topic, I enjoyed P&S more as pros. I enjoyed B & K before they went 'European'. My favorite now is Belbin & Agosto . I really enjoy watching them skate - their enjoyment in the sport and their partnership is very apparent. I enjoyed L&T during their 1st couple of seasons, but they lost a spark

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I understood why P&S would oppose because I think there was only 1 spot available and R&S were the reigning US Champions in ice dance.

I can understand why they would feel threatened, but honestly, I think that could be considered poor sportmanship. Were P&S affraid they couldn't make the Olympic team based on their own merit alone? I have read some things about this discord between the two teams, but I honestly need to read up on it and get the facts straight. The impression I have always gotten is that P&S acted somewhat unprofessionally in this instance. Does anyone have anymore factual information on this particular topic? I know it is getting somewhat off topic and delving into ice dance "drama", but I've never fully understood this situation.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Shae & Vic are my ultimate all time fav skaters all together, so I'd have to say them lol...Also loved the Duchesnay's but they didn't stay North American so they don't count.

Eligible now I like Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir best, with Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lauzon, and Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe a super close second.

Other teams I have liked (and still do) are Belbin/Agosto and Punsalan/Swallow

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Belbin & Agosto! I've liked them from the start. I love to watch skaters, who look like they were born skating prodigies. They have alot of joy in their skating, too, which always gets me interested in a skater.:)

Edited-to also say Roca & Sur. I looove to watch them. :D

Last edited:

Serena

Rinkside
Well, I only started watching ice dance a few years ago, so most of my faves don't go too far back. Lang/Tchernyshev, Bourne/Kraatz, Gregory/Petukhov, Matthews/Zavozin, and Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Having just seen Skate America, I have three new favorites: Siobhan Karam and Joshua McGrath, Jamie Silverstein and Ryan O'meara and Christine Beier and William Beier. (The Beiers are German, but anyway... :) )

MM :)

I <3 the Beiers! They're Filipino, like me (except, of course, they emigrated to Germany when they were eight, or something like that).

XxSweetKissesxX

Match Penalty
Sorry but I am not that big on Tanith & Ben, I think that he is a way better dancer than her but they are nothing amazing. They also always have these silly grins on their faces as they skate, and have never excited me. As much as some people love them I am just not feeling them...

I did like Bourne & Kraatz alot though I only watched them in their last two seasons of competitive skating since I only became a skating fan in 2002. I prefer the European dancers to most of the North American dancers though I am really beginning to like Siobahn Karam & Joshua McGrath since seeing them at Skate America.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have a sneaking fondness for all of them, but my all time favorites would be Blumberg and Siebert-there was the unique choreography, and the fact that they pushed everything to the limit, resulting in the horrid excitement of wondering whether one of them would stumble or fall. Plus they actually got a world bronze a time or two.

I like Belbin and Agosto today, and love the smoothness and underdog-ness of Wing and Lowe. I particularly loved their guts in skating in Washington DC during the first weeks of the Iraq to John Lennon's Imagine, wearing large peace symbols.

I always liked Fox and Dalley, too.

Last edited:
DORISPULASKI said:
:clap::clap::clap: Carole Fox's Olympic costume is on display at the Appleby's restaurant in Westland, MI. I see it all the time, LOL.

Hometown kids make good. They started out as a roller skating team, then skated for the Wyandot (another "downriver" Detroit suburb) Figure Skating club. :rock:

Mathman

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mathman, I didn't know that they started as rollerskaters!

It's rather poignant though-if you finish fifth in the world, your costume is displayed in Appleby's rather than in the Figure Skating Hall of Fame.

Carole was a very, very elegant skater. Richard had this fussy little mustache that I was always sure affected their scores negatively.

Do you know what they are doing now?

gkelly

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
Carole was a very, very elegant skater. Richard had this fussy little mustache that I was always sure affected their scores negatively.

Do you know what they are doing now?

Dalley is a dance judge. I believe Fox had been coaching, but I don't know if she is doing so now.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:
I have a sneaking fondness for all of them, but my all time favorites would be Blumberg and Siebert-there was the unique choreography, and the fact that they pushed everything to the limit, resulting in the horrid excitement of wondering whether one of them would stumble or fall. Plus they actually got a world bronze a time or two.

I like Belbin and Agosto today, and love the smoothness and underdog-ness of Wing and Lowe. I particularly loved their guts in skating in Washington DC during the first weeks of the Iraq to John Lennon's Imagine, wearing large peace symbols.

I don't know Fox and Dalley, but I'm sure I'd love them -- we're on the same wavelength for the other three.