Why are they using 6.0 at worlds? | Golden Skate

Why are they using 6.0 at worlds?

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I saw one ladies' competition with the new scoring system and I really liked it. Why are they using the 6.0 for worlds? Will this be the last year they use it? Does anybody know?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the code of points was used on a trial period basis... to see how it worked... they weren't about to screw up for worlds... especially since all the national championships were also using the 6.0 system...

this is probably the last year the 6.0 system will be used at worlds...

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It's to go up for vote at the next conference.

All of Speedy's press releases, which seem to be sounding more and more like a dictator's, have indicated that it will pass. But it ain't over until all the votes are counted.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Also, hopefully they will finetune Cop to iron out some stuff. That should be done at GP, and not at the all-important Worlds.

thvudragon

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
It's to go up for vote at the next conference.

All of Speedy's press releases, which seem to be sounding more and more like a dictator's, have indicated that it will pass. But it ain't over until all the votes are counted.
:rolleye: I don't see how protecting the interests of the ISU is akin to a dictator, but whatever.

I hope though, that the CoP is not passed at the next congress. I don't think the CoP is ready yet as it still has many problems.

TV

I hope the COP is passed at the ISU conference, but with a stipulation that certain changes be made. I think the COP, even with it's problems, is a much fairer way of judging figure skating than the ordinal system. I can't stand Speedy, but I like the COP.
Rgirl

LBC

On the Ice
I think COP is pretty much a done deal with some changes made.
Just seeing the difference between the grand prix and Nationals is interesting. In the grand prix we didn't have as much "he/she was held up or didn't get deducted or this or why did he/she have such high/low scores". With the tech you saw exactly how a skater was marked and why. You understood the reasons even if you didn't always agree while with the 6.0 you have no idea why a judge marked the way they did. The componet scores are of course up for debate but at least you can say "oh his transition score was too high or they didn't score high enough on skating skills" instead of a general "presentation scores too high".

One thing I will like if they use COP is that qualifying groups won't matter. It will be based on total scores and it won't matter which group you are in. Whoever wins will have the highest score and someone can come from behind. Someone could also run away with it as well but with the victors come the spoils.

heyang

Record Breaker
Really good point, LBC.

Although I didn't watch most of the Grand Prix, I do feel that COP, in general, is a better scoring system. The programs I did see had more thought and variety of movement than the standard 6.0 program where you see a lot of cross overs between jumps.

Also, I don't think Sasha would've gotten that perfect 6.0 for presentation under COP - she had one obvious fall and I spotted 2 slight glitches on 2 other landings. Perhaps the judges wouldn't have noted the glitches since I don't think they have the same camera angle, but a fall is a fall.

I think COP should be tweaked and tested again next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if COP was used at Turin Oly's - for several reasons.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think the old 6.0 system worked well at Canadian Nationals, there was no favourtism shown any skater. The skaters were judged accordingly for the way they skated in front of the judges. The 6.0 system does work; it's the judges themselves that bring honesty or dishonesty to figure skating. It's really sad that skating has received such a bad name over the years for the sake of a few corrupt judges. All the skaters ask for is honest judges.

Tove

On the Ice
the CoP go either way, I like the point that qualifying groups doesn't matter, but what I think it's the weakest point in this new judging system, is that if the "technical" points and the "presentation" points, seems to be glued together somehow. If you make mistakes on jumps or other technical elements, then suddenly your marks for, say "skating skills" and "interpretation" falls dramaticly also, and I don't think this is fair. You can skate a very good program, even without difficult elements, like Mikkeline Kirkegaard (when she competed in singles). The skaters must get paid for the whole package, to me it seem the Cop are to concerned about tecnique.

I think the system needs to be reworked, but it also has something good about it, so it shoudn't be abandoned completely.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I vote CoP too...

Over the years figure skating has become more technical and complex, so I think a more sophisticated way of judging is a positive thing. This may be an over-generalization, but under 6.0 with only 2 overall scores, how can it be much more than a "general impression" of technical and a "general impression" of presentation?

Especially on the technical side, I think CoP gives the judges a specific way to measure all the content of a program and there will be (has been!) less controversy in how the skaters ultimately place.

I also think CoP offers stronger possibilities for up and coming skaters to challenge those of reputation at the top. Skaters like Emanuel Sandhu and Johnny Weir who have such tremendous style and creativity in their elements will have much more opportunity to challenge someone like Plushy (this is not a Plushy bash, just an example).

Shady judging can always sway results no matter what system is used. And I'd sure love to see that issue be addressed more appropriately. But fishy scoring under CoP I think will leave fudgy judges with much more explaining to do. I think that's a good thing.

2 cents..

DG

Seonaid920

On the Ice
Thank you for clearing that up for me, I really liked the new scoring system and thought the marks were appropriate to the programs and I think it is the right step in elevating the sport and putting more emphasis on all skating techniques, not just the jumps, and it seemed to benefit the skaters with the most complete packages.

I hope with some fine tuning they will pass it and use it next year.