Why aren't there more figure skaters of African descent? | Golden Skate

Why aren't there more figure skaters of African descent?

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Athletes of African ancestry excel in many sports. We know that they can be powerful athletes in sports like track and field, basketball, American football, soccer, baseball, etc. However, there has been relatively few figure skaters of African ancestry. Amongst ladies we had Debi Thomas, Bonaly and Rory Flack Burghart. Currently we have Robin Szolkowy who skates with Aliona Savchenko and also Tai Babilonia back in the 1970's. If you go further back, there was Bobby Beauchamp, Mabel Fairbanks and Richard Ewell. For ice dancing we had Tiffani Tucker and Franklyn Singley. However, currently there are very few prominent figure skaters of African descent.

I would think they would be powerful jumpers and artistic side should be no problem either. Why doesn't for example USFS try to get more African-Americans to try figure skating? Is there a stigma against figure skating in among African-Americans? Is it a issue of money? I'm just curious because it would be nice to see more figure skaters of African descent.

What a great, thought-provoking question. Especially if you look at skating's "cousin," dance, you see the athletic and artistic contributions that could be made by skaters of color. I'm sure money is part of it, and cultural assumptions on the part of black families as well as the white skating establishment. But, as with dance, that this boundary can and should be breached. It will benefit skating when it happens.

One disadvantage that black skaters have currently (in contrast, say, to Asian skaters) is that their first countries of origin aren't winter Olympics powers. Skaters of Asian heritage come from not just the U.S. and Canada but Asia itself--Japan, China, and now Korea. So that's a huge potential talent pool. Skaters of African heritage (with the exception of Szolkowy, whose mother was from Tanzania) are not likely to come from anywhere in Africa at this moment--it's solely up to black skaters in North America and Europe to provide the talent pool. Even Cuba, a sizable Olympic power in the Summer Olympics, lacks the facilities for a winter sport such as skating. (Jamaican bobsled team notwithstanding, Afro-Caribbeans aren't likely to show up at the ice rink any time soon.)

By the way, your list omits one significant African American skater, though she didn't advance very far: Condi Rice, our former secretary of state. I believe she competed as a pair skater, and of course it was her interest in skating that spurred her to approach Michelle Kwan with the offer of a position with the State Department. So Dr. Rice's link to skating has turned out to be pretty important!

But I hope one day that people like Dr. Rice, Rohene Ward, Tai Babilonia, Rory Flack Burghart, and Robin Szolkowy have a lot more company on the ice.

jcoates

Medalist
I'm not sure of other programs, but there is a program run out of Harlem aimed at African-American children and many current and former top US skaters participate in an annual fundraiser along with members of the New York acting community as well as wealthy celebrities and business types, including Donald Trump.

I'm not certain of USFSA is involved in this or not however.

Another issue that does play a factor is cos. Skating is certainly not cheap and while there are certainly African-American families who can afford to invest in their children taking up the sport, there has not been as much interest as in other comparable sports like gymnastics. There is however, a strong tradition middle class blacks enrolling their children in dance lessons, so perhaps that could be a segue to skating.

Gender also plays a role. Skating is already having issues attracting boys regardless of their race. They just tend to be attracted to other sports in larger numbers.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I feel like perhaps figure skating was becoming popular with African Americans in the 70's and 80's with Tai Babalonia and Debi Thomas skating for the US at that time.
It is unfortunate that so many families, whatever their heritage/nationality do not have the financial opportunity to attempt skating which is far more expensive then team sports like football, basketball, baseball or athletic sports like swimming or track. I wish that there were more programs like the Harlem Volunteer Organization to help talented skaters from low-income families.

ks777

Record Breaker
I think it has to do with money.

Last edited by a moderator:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that a circular process is involved, also. For example, Asian-American girls see a lot of successful Asian-American skaters in the ladies event -- and they see fewer Asian-American women in many other sports. This, IMO, encourages the families of those Asian-American girls to consider figure skating as a suitable sport. An African-American, OTOH, will see other African-Americans in other sports, but not in skating ... and they don't go into skating.

Similarly, I think one reason there are more European skaters of African descent -- Germany's Robin Szolkowy and France has some, also -- is the example of Surya Bonaly.

I said something inaccurate: Szolkowy's father, not his mother, was from Africa. Sorry for the error!

Certainly cost is a factor in skating. Why gymnastics has attracted more African Americans than skating is a mystery, though. Both are pretty pricey sports to train for.

While we're on the subject, Latino/Latin American skaters are also pretty scarce. And they have the advantage of having several countries with a winter sports tradition, notably Argentina and Chile, as well as the U.S. and Canada. At this moment all I can think of is Rudy Galindo and Yvonne Gomez. (I don't think in this instance we can factor in Europe. Traditionally, though Spain is the root of Latin American culture, people from Spain are not considered Latino.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
isn't Marcy Hinnzman also ?

Rory also had a show/group for awhile called "Black Ice" and it was an all black skating cast.

there's also Mabel Fairbanks, and Richard Ewell (whom I admit I had to do a search to find his name).

nationals 2008 there was a decent junior skater who was black... he wore a yellow shirt for his LP (I think) and made quite a statement, I thought...

Bennett

Record Breaker
I guess that cost would be a big factor for racial/ethnic minorities that disproportionately represent lower socioeconomic-status groups. It costs a tremendous amount of money to skate at the elite level. Just to do it casually still costs a lot.

I think that a circular process is involved, also. For example, Asian-American girls see a lot of successful Asian-American skaters in the ladies event -- and they see fewer Asian-American women in many other sports. This, IMO, encourages the families of those Asian-American girls to consider figure skating as a suitable sport. An African-American, OTOH, will see other African-Americans in other sports, but not in skating ... and they don't go into skating.

Possibly.

I also feel that racial discrimination could be another possible factor.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I guess that cost would be a big factor for racial/ethnic minorities that disproportionately represent lower socioeconomic-status groups. It costs a tremendous amount of money to skate at the elite level. Just to do it casually still costs a lot.

Also, ice rinks aren't necessarily all over the map.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not sure of other programs, but there is a program run out of Harlem aimed at African-American children and many current and former top US skaters participate in an annual fundraiser along with members of the New York acting community as well as wealthy celebrities and business types, including Donald Trump.

I'm not certain of USFSA is involved in this or not however. .

Tim Goebel is involved in this program.
During the school year, he coaches a few hours a week for Figure Skating in Harlem
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080612&content_id=48568&vkey=ice_news
And Tanith Belbin.
http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=38006&mode=P
Is an advisory board member for Figure Skating in Harlem

So is Tai Babilonia. And Evan Lysacek.

http://www.figureskatinginharlem.org/

"Figure Skating in Harlem offers free ice skating lessons for girls ages 6 to 18 in the Harlem community, where 125 girls currently participate. But the most important aspect of the program is what happens off the ice. The girls receive academic and leadership coaching from a dedicated staff... "

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Unfortunately there aren't many countries involved in FS. This sport is mainly a matter of the USA, Canada, Russia, France, Japan and China. There are occasionaly some prominent skaters from other Euro countries (Italy, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Ukraine, GB, Belgium, Lithuania, Czech Republic etc.) or from South Korea. But that's pretty much all!

If you think about how many potential world talents are excluded from FS it is very sad. The whole African continent, all Middle Eastern countries with the exception of Turkey and Israel, India, a lot of Asian countries, the whole South America and the Carribeans.
But even countries that are members of the ISU cannot properly develop their talents, because of the lack of facilities, funds, coaches etc. I think of Turkey, Mexico, Serbia, Greece, Romania, Eastern European countries. Or lack of interest for the sport that prevents potential talents to take FS lessons (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Iceland, Netherlands).

This is a big waste of talents!

But on the other hand the USA, France and Germany have a big population of immigrants. I don't understand why there aren't French skaters of Arab descent, or German skaters with Turkish descent or Afro-Americans or immigrants from South America.
That's a pity considering that Latin and African people generally have rhythm in their blood. That may be a stereotype, but I can confirm that people that I've known that are from South America dance amazingly well.
The problem is almost certainly money. Being poorer immigrants prevents them to access to this expensive sport.

What a pity! ISU should do more to promote this sport in the World and help all the countries to develop their talents helping the athlets with money. As Universities give money to talented students, so should ISU and the Federation.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
You may find this website useful:
http://www.pdm-blackice.com/

There are a number of African-American skaters competing, some quite successfully, at the lower levels in the US. Some of them may make it to high-profile senior events in future years.

nolwenn

Rinkside
U
But on the other hand the USA, France and Germany have a big population of immigrants. I don't understand why there aren't French skaters of Arab descent, or German skaters with Turkish descent or Afro-Americans or immigrants from South America.

I can only answer for France : there are some of them now and not only James-Bonheur :
North-African origins for Mehdi Bouzzine (8th last yeat at Europeans in pairs) and Chaffik Besseghier (alternate this year for europeans),
African origins for Mae-Berenice Meite and Yretha Silete
among the moste promising juniors (you also could add Bahia Taleb)
Florent Amodio has Bazilian origins

That's so good to hear, Nolwenn!

Two things I love most in life, figure skating and classical music, are often seen as appealing to a very narrow group of people. This is so counterproductive! Nothing lasts if it's only enjoyed by a small group. The more the merrier.

This is why I'm thrilled when I see someone like Tugba Karademir or Rory Flack Burghart skating, or in classical music the young Venezuelan conductor Gustavo Dudamel, who I believe came up through a public-sponsored program of music education. Skating and classical music should be feasts for everyone! That's how they thrive and grow.

I understand that skating facilities are more expensive than, say, baseball fields, but I hope we figure out a way around it. Certainly in multi-ethnic countries that already have rinks, such as the U.S., Canada, and France, there should be more efforts to engage a wide variety of kids in the sport.

I'm glad to hear about the progress all of you have mentioned. Thanks again for starting this thread!