Worlds video with PCS only - no elements | Golden Skate

Worlds video with PCS only - no elements

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Hey everyone, since I'm on some vacation days and doing a lot of relaxing, I decided, on a whim, to put a video together of the top ten mens SP programs from Worlds... editing out all the jumps and spins. It's 18 minutes long.

It's really interesting to watch these programs with no elements (other than footwork). For the video, I started with 10th place (Vasiljevs) and work backwards to 1st place (Hanyu). At the beginning of each skater's program, I listed their placement, name, country and where they placed in PCS scores.

Interesting to see that Jin placed 13th in PCS and Aaron placed 12th.

I thought y'all might have fun with this. Did the judges get it right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGYrCe-fS4

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Interesting to see that Jin placed 13th in PCS and Aaron placed 12th. ...

I would note that the 9th to 12th in PCS were very closely clustered.

Kolyada was 9th in PCS with 38.60.
Max was 12th in PCS with 38.32.

In order of decreasing PCS:

1 Q Yuzuru HANYU JPN 110.56 61.52 49.04 9.89 9.61 9.93 9.79 9.82 0.00 #29
3 Q Patrick CHAN CAN 94.84 48.63 47.21 9.57 9.32 9.32 9.50 9.50 1.00 #28
2 Q Javier FERNANDEZ ESP 98.52 53.06 46.46 9.14 9.18 9.21 9.50 9.43 1.00 #26
4 Q Shoma UNO JPN 90.74 47.17 43.57 8.96 8.50 8.79 8.68 8.64 0.00 #25
7 Q Adam RIPPON USA 85.72 43.96 41.76 8.32 8.00 8.54 8.36 8.54 0.00 #22

12 Q Denis TEN KAZ 78.55 38.44 41.11 8.36 7.89 8.18 8.25 8.43 1.00 #27
13 Q Maxim KOVTUN RUS 78.46 38.35 40.11 8.14 7.68 8.11 8.14 8.04 0.00 #30
11 Q Michal BREZINA CZE 79.29 41.26 39.03 7.89 7.61 7.68 7.96 7.89 1.00 #19
6 Q Mikhail KOLYADA RUS 89.66 51.06 38.60 7.71 7.46 7.82 7.79 7.82 0.00 #2
9 Q Ivan RIGHINI ITA 81.17 42.64 38.53 7.50 7.39 7.89 7.75 8.00 0.00 #15

10 Q Deniss VASILJEVS LAT 81.07 42.70 38.37 7.61 7.50 7.79 7.68 7.79 0.00 #12
8 Q Max AARON USA 81.28 42.96 38.32 7.86 7.32 7.79 7.64 7.71 0.00 #24
5 Q Boyang JIN CHN 89.86 52.08 37.78 7.75 7.39 7.68 7.50 7.46 0.00 #23

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/wc2016/SEG001.HTM

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I would have had Yuzu in first, although watching without the elements made me aware of how much he looks down while skating. Still, his SS and other PCS are terrific and he has turned into an artist, a real change from where he was 2-3 years ago (when his carriage was often quite sloppy).

Shoma really impresses me. His edges and musicality are so good. I would have had him 2nd in PCS, even over Chan.

Chan: I've always loved his edgework, but others are rising to his level. I'm not crazy about his SP this season, lots of little hops and the transitions are just kind of okay, IMO. I would have had him 3rd in PCS, Javi 4th.

I agree with most of the other results, although I question Kovtun beating Deniss V., Jin and Max in PCS. I would have switched around Jin and Max and had Vasiljevs higher by a few places, definitely above Righini and probably Kolyada (and I like Kolyada a lot).

Rissa

Record Breaker
It was interestin to watcj!

I agree with judges as to the top guys but not the lower ranking ones. I would Deniss Vasilievs before Righini... even before Kolyada, and Boyang Jin before Max Aaron. Ehhh, Max Aaron's presentation really suffers when compared like that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i'd put chan 1st :) then yuzu, shoma and javi in 4th... but yeah :) just my humble ranking

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
from that video, I think we can see Vasiljevs and Kolyada were majorly screwed. they are amazing.

Uno is also incredible. agreed with HanDomi on the top 4

sarama

Medalist
Dear Max, you are a great, UNIQUE skater. Next season, please get two programs that show off your personality and your strengths and not make you look like 'the hockey player that is trying too hard to increase his PCS'...you are so much more than that!

Shoma and Deniss are going to bring the crowds to their feet for many years to come! Such amazing performers:gclap:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Shoma and Deniss are going to bring the crowds to their feet for many years to come! Such amazing performers:gclap:

I don't see "amazing performer" from Shoma at this point...and yes, I have seen him live. I guess I just haven't liked any of his programs so far, and to me he compares unfavorably to Daisuke in all categories. For now anyway. But Deniss is going to be one of the all time greats - this is clear even when you watch videos of him at 10, 12 years old.

sarama

Medalist
I don't see "amazing performer" from Shoma at this point...and yes, I have seen him live. I guess I just haven't liked any of his programs so far, and to me he compares unfavorably to Daisuke in all categories. For now anyway. But Deniss is going to be one of the all time greats - this is clear even when you watch videos of him at 10, 12 years old.

Well Deniss is young, with a good coach and from a country with no internal competition (meaning he will have a lot of international exposure and will be able to develop taking his time)... so indeed his future looks indeed bright.
Poor Shoma is not fair to compare him to Daisuke, especially since he is still only 18. I agree his programs are not for everybody's taste especially some previous ones, but I liked both this season (even this harshly criticized SP!). Of course YMMV

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Shoma doesn't give much in the way of face, but I do love his edges, ice coverage and musicality. He moves really well and has great carriage.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

Well, everyone compares unfavorably to Daisuke in all categories...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Thanks very much for editing and posting this video, it was fun and interesting to watch! :)

Short attempt at ranking them after watching it twice:
Yuzu > Patrick > Javier > Shoma >> Deniss > Mikhail = Adam >> Ivan > Boyang > Max

Seeing the edit like this really made Yuzuru's transitions stand out for me, no real set-up for any of the jumps in there. Wow. And not one tiny little second wasted, smooth and fluid through all of it. That's basically why I have him ahead of Patrick, who's SP is far from empty, but he has some more 'breathing room' in between (especially the first part up until the 3A). Still, Patricks SS put him in 2nd. Javi is a bit behind because of the basic skating skills, he's not as fast and doesn't hold his speed quite as well. Shoma actually looks more fluid than Javi, but Javi has a lot more going on with his feet, so I put him in 3rd. Presentation-wise, it's hard to compare these 2, because they are so very different. Shoma has more innate wild musicality and engagement, Javi has that charming and playful way of interacting with the audience. I can't choose in that regard. The top 4 have quite a margin over the others for me.
Deniss was majorly screwed in PCS. I can't believe how fluid and smooth he is over the ice, and a real performer to boot. I have him behind the other 4 because he has a little more insecurities here and there, he's a bit wild still. Adam and Mikhail were about similar for me - I'd imagine most people would have Adam ahead, but I'll complain about the same stuff I always do with him: way too much posing. He has really good speed in some parts, but loses it quite fast, and I'd like to see him do more with his blades. He has beautiful, fluid movement overall though, no doubt. Mikhail is solid all around, nice glide over the ice, some really nice moves in there too. And works his music well.
Again a little bigger of a gap for me afterwards. Ivan has nice edges, but not enough transitions, some parts here are really empty. He performs well to his music though, but the skating skills are the main reason I have him ahead of Boyang and Max. Boyang is really more than just a jumper for me: he has some really nice moments, performs the music well and is charming throughout. Max sadly loses out in this comparison but I still really like him.

So I agree with the judges on the top 4, but I'd have Shoma closer to Javi. Deniss and to a lesser extent Mikhail were screwed (but they'll simply stick around and continue to be awesome to avenge themselves with lots of big medals :p )

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@Li'Kitsu, that was a really interesting analysis! I watched the video and loved it but found I wasn't able to analyze individual components very well. I reacted more to each performance as a whole, even without the elements.

@formersk8er, I posted a few not very analytical comments in the FSU thread. Great job!

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Thanks very much for editing and posting this video, it was fun and interesting to watch! :)

Again a little bigger of a gap for me afterwards.

Thank you for the kind words (and you're welcome).

It's probably worth noting (as golden411icecoverage posted earlier in the thread) that 6th, 7th and 8th in PCS went to Ten, Kovtun and Brezina, who placed out of the top 10 due to technical errors. (I have a very hard time seeing Kovtun as high as 7th in PCS, but whatever... ) I agree that Deniss Vasiljevs is fantastic!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^ Yes, I have to agree about Maxim Kovtun getting 7th highest PCS. Probably the good ol' influence of the starting order played a part here. I also repeatedly heard people say he's more impressive live, so I'll just take their words for it.

@Li'Kitsu, that was a really interesting analysis! I watched the video and loved it but found I wasn't able to analyze individual components very well. I reacted more to each performance as a whole, even without the elements.

@formersk8er, I posted a few not very analytical comments in the FSU thread. Great job!

Thanks! :) it's interesting how everyone has their own way to react and approach analyzing these performances. I read your comments on FSU, and you explained something very well regarding Patrick, where I personally had a hard time putting my finger on it. His posture, extention and lines are amazing IMO, but he really is not as fluid and smooth with his upper body as he his with his knees/legs/feet/edges. This is something harder to asses fairly for me, because I actually prefer a bit more wildness to someone who is very controlled. It's just my personal preference. Oh, and I'm glad you saw Boyangs natural musicality too, despite the evident flailing still involved :)