Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Your favorite and least favorite figure skating commentators

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
On topic, I was surprised by how much better Chris was on his own than Simon. I didn't feel like screaming at all during his commentary during Euros and 4CCs. He was a skater though so that probably helped!
I agree - Chris was much better on his own than Simon - Chris was informative and enthusiastic, whereas Simon doesn't seem as knowledgeable, and is a bit soporific.

Mark Hanretty is my favourite, though - brilliant, in-depth knowledge, a real love for the sport, kind and supportive to the skaters, stays quiet during the programmes, and is really enthusiastic, too. And he has a nice voice.

I hope Eurosport have booked him for the Olympics.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I wish I could watch the Olympics with a non-German commentator. Daniel Weiss is just horrible to listen to. He has these very strong opinions about "masculine" and "feminine" skating and often seems to judge the ladies on their looks and men on how "manly" they are. It feels uncomfortable when he goes on about Valieva having "matured" so much and become more like a woman. Ugh. She's 15 ffs, I don't want to hear your opinions about her womanly charms.
As for ID, during Europeans he commented on a brother/sister pair dancing to tango music and calling it weird, because obviously all skaters have to be involved romantically or at least play up that angle in his opinion. I wonder what he thinks about Guillaume Cizeron or Paul Poirier being gay. Not romantic enough?

The only good aspect of his commenting is that he occasionally calls out judges for dubious PCS scoring.

So not looking forward to that aspect of the Olymics.
Totally agree on Daniel Weiss. I have watched Europeans via the ISU stream because I can´t stand him. He is complaining the whole time when skaters use classical music. His whole commentary on M/G SP at Europeans can be summed up to "I can´t stand this music" (Esmeralda).

And then he has a very onesided view of how women have to skate. If she is a powerful skater like Kaori Sakamoto he hates it. Last worlds he kept telling that she was way overscored and should have scored in the 6-7 range in PCS.

In the mens competition he keeps commenting how "manly" a skater is. So ennoying.

I really like Chris and Simon, when they commentate together and I love Ted and Mark Hanretty.

Last edited:

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I wish I could watch the Olympics with a non-German commentator. Daniel Weiss is just horrible to listen to.
(...)
As for ID, during Europeans he commented on a brother/sister pair dancing to tango music and calling it weird, because obviously all skaters have to be involved romantically or at least play up that angle in his opinion. I wonder what he thinks about Guillaume Cizeron or Paul Poirier being gay. Not romantic enough?

The only good aspect of his commenting is that he occasionally calls out judges for dubious PCS scoring.

So not looking forward to that aspect of the Olymics.
I was outraged. I vpned to Germany to watch biathlon because Czech commentators are insufferable and found Europeans in archive so I just watched some pairs and ice dance because I was curious about German commentary.
But I hate hate hate scores talk, so I couldn't stand him after two skates :D Also, he criticised B/K and as they are my favourite skaters we were off to a bad start. I also found Aljona Savchenko's comments a bit weird. When she was talking about her career and in general about what you do during the warm-up etc. it was ok, but then she agreed with every critic Weiss had about music and not enough elegance of the competitors.
On the other hand, Joti Polizoakis as a co-commentator for ice dance was wonderful, and Weiss almost redeemed himself with quite a good commentary about S/K but then for the Taschlers he had to say that tango is erotic and between brother and sister when they choose this music it looks too much like a theatre??
Won't bother to vpn to Germany again.

Ivana

On the Ice
I really like Ted. But generally I like any commentator that does not speak or speaks bare minimum during the program and hate anyone who just chats through the whole program there are few that even lead lenghty pointless conversations during the programs, CZ Eurosport guys for example, those I avoid as plague...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have no favourite commentators or those I dislike, LOL. Actually I prefer to watch without any commentary...
But, if there is a commentary I don´t want to hear only positive commentary, it must be realistic and mention all negative stuff, too...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RoundedBackCamel wrote (three pages back): "I also don’t like that she (Tara) didn’t continue to skate after her Worlds and OGM and just took the money and ran".

This has always bothered me, too. It seemed to send the message that after one somewhat controversial win, she was afraid to compete any further.

Tara had a serious hip problem caused by repetitive 3lo+3lo practice leading up to Nationals and Olympics. She signed on with SOI right away, but was able to skate only a few weeks because she had to have hip surgery. Then, ignoring medical advice, she returned to SOI as quickly as possible. The end result was she developed arthritis in her hip because of the constant exposure to the cold and damp of the rinks on the tour, and could execute only salchow and toe loop.

Early on when she started commentary with NBC, she spoke about how much she loved skating and talked about a return to performance skating. But apparently that never worked out, because we never did see even a tape of Tara skating again.

viennaskater

Medalist
I found the 4CC commentator (on ISU channel) okay in individual videos, but unpleasant to listen to for a full competition. He could be more silent during programs, but what mainly bothered me was, again, the avalanche of excessive praise starting from the lowest-ranked skaters. It's tiresome, and undervalues the meaning of 'amazing, fantastic' etc. Nothing wrong with using more variety, and starting from 'well-done' and 'good'. The other thing that bothered me a lot was his strained raised voice, I felt like I was watching soccer in places. It's not okay to watch a normal skating competition, and then wince in alarm as the commentator bellows 'aand she naiiils it!' in a voice that sounds like the competitor has just won an Olympic medal. More chill, please. ✌️
I take your point. If I had one mini-moan about Chris, I would say he overuses the word 'senSAtional!'

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's hear it for Olly! I thought he only commentated on gymnastics, but he did a very good job with Belinda Noonan today. :)

viennaskater

Medalist
New least favourite: whoever the woman was who commented on the Europeans today on Eurosport - her commentary added nothing of value, and was an annoying distraction from the skating. Even worse than SBS man Paul Asler, (for the same reasons).

Favourites: Mark Hanretty followed by Ted Barton.
Now I understand why you didn't like her - I totally agree! Looks like we are stuck with her for the Eurosport coverage of the Olys. Fortunately we have Chris Howarth as well.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Okay, whoever the lady is who is commentating at CBC, I can’t take her endless prattle.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Oh my gosh, I thought Simon was bad, but I just watched the team event ladies' SP on demand on our national broadcaster and the lady doing the commentary (no idea who she was) was unbearable. Apart from extremely shallow commentary and constant prattling during the skating some further low-lights include:
- Gubanova competed for Russia in rhythmic gymnastics until she got an invitation to figure skate for Georgia last year :bang:
- Calling Schizas's triple loop a triple lutz :oops:
- Valieva: just fifteen years old and already the reigning world champion :palmf:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Watching past clips and ones of these olympics - my opinion still stands. My skating commentary duo from hell would be Simon and Tara, while I want Kurt and Robin to commentate all the things. (+Meagan for pairs)
Also, I feel like I would actually really like Johnny's commentating if he was paired with...anyone else.

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Daniel Weiss making me watch the Olympics with gritted teeth again. He's fawning over Valieva, but of course, Kaori is too "sport-oriented" and not artistic enough. Yeah right. Just because she doesn't look like a waif doesn't mean she has no articistic expression. He also didn't like her matricx program last year....Glad the judges disagreed.
Oh and apparently SinKats are especially good at ice dance because they are together in real life. :palmf:

Zora

On the Ice
Daniel Weiss making me watch the Olympics with gritted teeth again. He's fawning over Valieva, but of course, Kaori is too "sport-oriented" and not artistic enough. Yeah right. Just because she doesn't look like a waif doesn't mean she has no articistic expression. He also didn't like her matricx program last year....Glad the judges disagreed.
She skated a brilliant free program and he really spoiled the moment (again). I'm sorry Kaori does not have the body type he prefers. 🙄
I re-watched the program on German Eurosport and the commentary of Hendryk Schamberger and Sigi Heinrich was like day and night. They praised Kaori, said they enjoyed that at a lot, how she is the best fit for Benoit Richard's choreography, that she's probably the best ice skater (skating skills-wise), etc.