Your thoughts on Skate America | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Your thoughts on Skate America

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I've never been to a skating comp, so I don't know how people behave, I only hear on youtube and some screamers are loud, and the ones that get picked up from the mic probably sit next to the broadcasting, but for the skate america comp, I only heard a few loud screamers, but they are just screaming, not yelling stupid comments, which I think would be too much.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it's any consolation, I'm sure the screamers have lost their voices in the days following SA. Patrick (of Patrick Commentates Skating) said he lost his voice screaming at SA on his latest Youtube video. He sounded very hoarse!

I don't mind fans showing their enthusiasm, but then again I wasn't there nor did I have to sit near them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think screaming annoyingly for a skater is ok, I wouldn't mind it, lol, as long as they are cheering them on, they can scream as loud as they want, makes the sport more exciting.

It doesn't make the sport exciting for the poor person sitting near the screamer--it just makes for a miserable experience. If YOU were the one whose ears were being bombarded all day long, you wouldn't be so quick to tell them to "scream as loud as they want".

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
It doesn't make the sport exciting for the poor person sitting near the screamer--it just makes for a miserable experience. If YOU were the one whose ears were being bombarded all day long, you wouldn't be so quick to tell them to "scream as loud as they want".

ok chuckm et al, you win. I was not there so I guess I don't know. I am sorry about your eardrums. I am just commenting as a youtube viewer. I have never been to skating comps.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But what about the screamer's vocal chords!! :peace:

#EverybodyHurts

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the screamer knowingly and willfully abuses his/her vocal chords, he/she has to accept the consequences.

BTW, I sat behind some great skating fans who celebrated every performance by holding up the flag of the performer (they had a big bag of flags from every country). There was no screaming, just smiles and waves and applause. The skaters appreciated that, too!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The caller can call whatever, but there are three people on the tech panel and they have to reach a majority agreement.

Looking at the TES counter, the 4T from Jason was actually called clean originally (it appeared on the counter as 11.39, which means not only was it originally called clean, it had big GOE). Someone on that panel must have called "review" and then at least two of the three decided it was UR.

I'm glad for the clarification. I've seen this happen with other skaters' jumps being originally called clean, then later judged as UR. With Ashley's calls in particular. But in thinking back I'm positive that I've noticed it with a number of other skaters as well.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
Another high point of the FD for me were Isabella and Ilia, the skaters representing Israel; sorry I don't have their last names handy. But I can see them in my mind's eye, striking those gorgeous lift positions that exquisitely called to mind performances of Tchaikovsky's ballet. And their skating itself maintained that beauty, mood and form. As much as I watched Isabella perfectly embodying the ballerina, I also watched Ilia. With his gorgeous expression through movement, he did as much dancing as she did, to great effect.

nguyhm;1519509 [QUOTE said:
I'm so glad I was not the only one enjoying their program and you said it so well - it was ballet on ice.

thank you!:thank:

Most importantly the skating was amazing, most of the skaters put in their best effort.

Overall SA was a well organized event. Perfect weather in Hoffman Estates. The arena was easily accessible and parking was running smoothly. The parking attendants would not cut you any slack, you better do what they said and go where they pointed you to...;) - some of them were dancing while directing traffic - no complaints from me.
The sound system could use some improvements. During practice some parts of Ashley's music for the long program had so much static I was wondering if it was intentional but all that disappeared when she actually skated.
Ah the Zambonis crew, I was so afraid when those old men were patching the ice, with the way they moved it could take all night and I saw one of them slipped :palmf:, but they got it done - the ice was re-surfaced without any hitch.
And btw Rohene deserved a medal for being an absolute "diva" and Marina and Igor for being the busiest coaches of the event.

I appreciate all your comments; thanks for remarking on the good things that happened. :agree:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
If it's any consolation, I'm sure the screamers have lost their voices in the days following SA. Patrick (of Patrick Commentates Skating) said he lost his voice screaming at SA on his latest Youtube video. He sounded very hoarse!

I don't mind fans showing their enthusiasm, but then again I wasn't there nor did I have to sit near them.

What I really want to know is who did he scream for? That's the real question .

Ross74

Medalist
Originally Posted by skylark
Another high point of the FD for me were Isabella and Ilia, the skaters representing Israel; sorry I don't have their last names handy. But I can see them in my mind's eye, striking those gorgeous lift positions that exquisitely called to mind performances of Tchaikovsky's ballet. And their skating itself maintained that beauty, mood and form. As much as I watched Isabella perfectly embodying the ballerina, I also watched Ilia. With his gorgeous expression through movement, he did as much dancing as she did, to great effect.

I'm so glad I was not the only one enjoying their program and you said it so well - it was ballet on ice.

I just got around to watching the FD last night and I was very impressed by Isabella and Ilia. They are beautiful and that dance was exquisite! .

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post

I just got around to watching the FD last night and I was very impressed by Isabella and Ilia. They are beautiful and that dance was exquisite! .

I just read their Wiki pages. Isabella took from George Balanchine School in NY for 8 years, and performed with the NYC Ballet. Ilia grew up skating in Russia, so of course he also had ballet training alongside. :love: This makes skating to a ballet so perfect for them, and it's rather unusual in Ice Dancing these days, it seems, although I don't know why: Ilinykh/Katsalapov Swan Lake was so memorable.

Footnote: Both their Wiki pages need updating, but a little tidbit: they skated together briefly in 2008, but didn't compete together. Fairy tale happy ending????:yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm glad for the clarification. I've seen this happen with other skaters' jumps being originally called clean, then later judged as UR. With Ashley's calls in particular. But in thinking back I'm positive that I've noticed it with a number of other skaters as well.

I believe the computer just adds the GOE from the judges' inputs to the BV of an element unless the Tech Panel renders a decision on the qualification of the element and alters its BV. Thus we may see the original automatic scores being reduced later.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe the computer just adds the GOE from the judges' inputs to the BV of an element unless the Tech Panel renders a decision on the qualification of the element and alters its BV. Thus we may see the original automatic scores being reduced later.

:thank: That's what I'd always assumed; I'm glad for this confirmation.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:thank: That's what I'd always assumed; I'm glad for this confirmation.

I don't design or run the scoring program but logically assume it only does the computing while the Tech Panel and the judges still have to do their jobs. Judges have to give their GOE live and instantly but Tech Panel can take a little time for reviews.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Also, for what it is worth I think i have seen it claimed that it is based on the first 3 judges to enter the marks. So you are not seeing just one person's opinion ever (in theory). I don't know if it keeps adding judges scores as they are entered or stick to 3.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Also, for what it is worth I think i have seen it claimed that it is based on the first 3 judges to enter the marks. So you are not seeing just one person's opinion ever (in theory). I don't know if it keeps adding judges scores as they are entered or stick to 3.

The computing formula needs at least 3 scores so the high and low can be thrown out and the "average" calculated. It seems a waste of effort to keep calculating with each new input from the judges but the computer, OTOH, does not mind being exploited. :)

Ross74

Medalist
I just read their Wiki pages. Isabella took from George Balanchine School in NY for 8 years, and performed with the NYC Ballet. Ilia grew up skating in Russia, so of course he also had ballet training alongside. :love: This makes skating to a ballet so perfect for them, and it's rather unusual in Ice Dancing these days, it seems, although I don't know why: Ilinykh/Katsalapov Swan Lake was so memorable.

Footnote: Both their Wiki pages need updating, but a little tidbit: they skated together briefly in 2008, but didn't compete together. Fairy tale happy ending????:yes:

Thanks for that background info! Isabella has quite the background in ballet. No wonder I like her. :)

sc8

On the Ice
It was a great Skate America...especially for the US. I was waiting for Mariah Bell to put it all together. I wish she was able to do it with Kori, because I think she's great, but Rafael, skating with Ashley and Adam, seem to be a good fit for her and I am so pleased! I think Ashley, Adam, and Jason have good solid programs that I look forward to seeing them develop a bit more over the season. Ashley, for example needs to get her step-sequence and spins up to level 4, and I trust she will. I'm hopeful for the return of our pairs team Denney/Frazier (although a tough Skate Canada looms large), and the Shibs were great! I'm sorry Gracie is struggling. I hope she gets her Mojo and her "fight" back soon and hope Polina's injury heals quickly as I was looking forward to seeing her programs for this season. I'm encouraged that Jason got a quad landed (although I think it was called underrotated), because it'll give him more confidence.

My top take-aways from Skate America:
1) delighted Mariah skated lights out. I think it'll give her great confidence and make her skate even stronger.
2) Ashley has two great programs and opportunity to score well if she nails her planned jumps, elevates her steps and spins to level 4 (especially in the short where she got level 3 on all), and continues her great interpretation.
3) The Ships were rocking it!
4) Denney and Frazier are back and beat some good teams. I know they need to build, but it was a nice return to the Grand Prix.
5) Adam and Jason have nice programs...and quads in the long, but I'm really hoping they get consistent enough to appear in the short.

...and, I really hope Mariah gets invited to another Grand Prix.

Resurfaced

Spectator
In dance, Elliana Pogrebinsky/Alex Benoit gave two stand-out performances, for me. SD showed acting chops with Elvis; FD showed incredible strengh, grace and musicality to skate a slow sustained style that kept my attention riveted; I was in the performance and in the moment with them.

Agreed, Skylark—they were amazing, especially in their first season as seniors. Surprised Nick Verreos didn't pick up on Alex's fantastic Elvis jumpsuit! Their SD was way too much fun, and it looked like they had a great time skating it. As for the FD—that spread eagle/backbend lift—wow! They know how to highlight their lines and flexibility. Loved the slow but insistent building of their patterns with the music. Looking forward to what's to come as they continue to mature as a team!

The audience was absolutely decimated by having UGL Regionals the same weekend, as well as by the Cubs game. Pity. Wonderful opportunity to see skating talent at this level. I'd go again in a minute.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed, Skylark—they were amazing, especially in their first season as seniors. Surprised Nick Verreos didn't pick up on Alex's fantastic Elvis jumpsuit! Their SD was way too much fun, and it looked like they had a great time skating it. As for the FD—that spread eagle/backbend lift—wow! They know how to highlight their lines and flexibility. Loved the slow but insistent building of their patterns with the music. Looking forward to what's to come as they continue to mature as a team!

Yes! I'm glad you mentioned that lift. Even Charlie White, who commentated for IN, was way impressed by it. And I love your expression "the slow but insistent building of their patterns with the music." That's a very good description of what I was feeling with them.