Yukari on the world team NOT Mao !!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yukari on the world team NOT Mao !!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
orchid said:
This comment is of great interest to me. What, RD, do you mean by a ladies competition? What is a lady vs a girl?/ in your defination or explanation to the post?

In a way, I'm glad you asked this question. Personally, I'm tired of seeing little girls competing in what should be a ladies' competition. By "lady" usually I mean 18 or older, although the style of skating also has a lot to do with it. Now, there aren't different sections (novice, junior, senior) for nothing, I assume. But I for one am glad the age rule was up in place for seniors because I think over time, your skating tends to develop and "mature" (as you grow), and I think this happens between 15-17. I THINK (think is the key word here) that the age limit for seniors should actually be 17 or 18- mainly because that's when most girls stop growing (therefore the likeihood for injury is reduced).

So, to directly answer the question you posed to me, what I mean is that once you've "grown up" (reached 17-18), and can compete at the "senior" level (in terms of skating level) then to me you are a "ladies skater". Everything else comes by itself- IMO, the chance for injury lessens, your skating "matures", etc. This is JMO, though- YMMV.

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
But Onda vs. Nakano, I kind of do, especially after seeing both of them live this season. Haven't seen the nats videos, but it just seems a bit fishy.

Since Onda was the only skater who skated a completely clean program, It kind of make sense that she placed above Nakano. I love Nakano's sp, but don't really think the lp are that good. but then that's just me..

Lanie

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
In a way, I'm glad you asked this question. Personally, I'm tired of seeing little girls competing in what should be a ladies' competition. By "lady" usually I mean 18 or older, although the style of skating also has a lot to do with it. Now, there aren't different sections (novice, junior, senior) for nothing, I assume. But I for one am glad the age rule was up in place for seniors because I think over time, your skating tends to develop and "mature" (as you grow), and I think this happens between 15-17. I THINK (think is the key word here) that the age limit for seniors should actually be 17 or 18- mainly because that's when most girls stop growing (therefore the likeihood for injury is reduced).

So, to directly answer the question you posed to me, what I mean is that once you've "grown up" (reached 17-18), and can compete at the "senior" level (in terms of skating level) then to me you are a "ladies skater". Everything else comes by itself- IMO, the chance for injury lessens, your skating "matures", etc. This is JMO, though- YMMV.

ITA, RD. While Mao is cute she isn't the finished, polished sort of skater I like to see in a "ladies figure skating competition"--you know? IMO I'll probably really like her once she gets older, matures, gets out of the "look at me I'm a cute little girl" choreography/attitude that permeates her skating (this is just my opinion of course :D). That is if the poor thing doesn't destroy her hip or have some other freak injury due to all the crazy jumping. I don't understand why they're doing triple axels, quads, 3/3/3s... leave those to the men!

Red Dog said:
In a way, I'm glad you asked this question. Personally, I'm tired of seeing little girls competing in what should be a ladies' competition. reduced). . This is JMO, though- YMMV.
Your opinion is noted but you were ok with Tara. Am I correct?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Your opinion is noted but you were ok with Tara. Am I correct?

Well, that's a tough one. It's a tough one because I wasn't following skating closely back then and I didn't really care how old the participants were. MK herself was 17.

IIRC she was "grandfathered" into the system because the rule was changed in 1996 (am I correct?) and she was already competing in seniors. So I think they had it right- let her go to the Olys and end the teenager phase.

orchid

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Well, that's a tough one. It's a tough one because I wasn't following skating closely back then and I didn't really care how old the participants were. MK herself was 17.

IIRC she was "grandfathered" into the system because the rule was changed in 1996 (am I correct?) and she was already competing in seniors. So I think they had it right- let her go to the Olys and end the teenager phase.

Correct on both counts. :)

Thanks for for definition of "ladies skating", But in my view, the baby Mao's artistry is light years ahead of many18+year old competitors.

Jasper

Final Flight
Yukari over Miki for Worlds? Interesting, but wow, insulting. As someone said, it's like the Japanese Federation is just throwing her a bone. Nakano beat Ando in all three of their H2H's this season, so it's pretty clear the wrong girl is going to Torino. Besides Asada, who is too young anyway, Suguri and Nakano are the Japanese women with the most momentum at the moment.

I suppose going to Worlds is still better than nothing, so I hope Nakano can accept it and kick some *** in Calgary.

Red Dog said:
No one has suggested they had it wrong. We were talking about the principal of rules and skaters less than 16 years of age. duh!

Joe

orchid said:
Thanks for for definition of "ladies skating", But in my view, the baby Mao's artistry is light years ahead of many18+year old competitors.
So glad someone noticed. I can think of 25 or more skaters above the age of 16 who don't come near Mao's artistry.

Joe