Yuna donates $100,000 to Nepal earthquake relief | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuna donates $100,000 to Nepal earthquake relief

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yuna is a class act for sure. In so many ways. And to those around the world that might say, "Yeah, well she earns $10 million a year..." I challenge all the people around the world who have a net worth of over 10 million to give $100,000. Like maybe all those football stars we hear about.
As for my govt, quit being so cheep and give more than ...what? 3 cents for each of our citizens?

I was under the impression the previous Forbes reports were her TOTAL learning over the course of her ENTIRE career, not per a year. The prize for her entire career works out approx around $300k USD which is approx 2 years training expenses for someone like Patrick Chan. Figure skating does not attract lucrative endorsement, and Korean endorsement are not on the same scale as US/International sportsman. Training back in Korea probably saved alot of outgoing expenses as well.

What is remarkable about her is the fact she really kept her charity up through out the years since young teens. Despite her success, she seems still live a modest life. Modest apartment in a modest part of Seoul. Rarely wear designer gear (unless you count Korean ones for special occasions, or the odd fashion shoots). The amount charity work adds up alot, but more importantly is the 'Yuna effect' for UNICEF and other charitable causes she represent back in Korea. After Tax, After the 30% Prize money KSF contributions, she is probably funding most of the running cost of ATS/Shows and help support young Korean figure skaters where there's little chance of monetary returns. I hope her family save up some and invest wisely for the future.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
Wow. Yu-na is truly my role model for life. Her persistence, consistency, drive, and humility despite being the best skater in the world are all qualities I aim for.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuna having the means to do something like this does not make her any better person than other skaters who may not have the means to do something like this, or who may have kept it very quiet that they are doing something like this.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yuna having the means to do something like this does not make her any better person than other skaters who may not have the means to do something like this, or who may have kept it very quiet that they are doing something like this.

Nobody is saying it makes her a better person than other skaters, they're just praising her for being a good person and trying to help out, it was Unicef who publicized her donation, she has only campaigned for donations through her twitter and through Unicef.

I do not understand the motivation for making a post like thst. Yuna did something admirable. Good for her.

If others want to do something admirable, too, then good for them.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice

Well, just because Charlie and Tanith had their wedding featured in People magazine also does not mean that they are any better as a couple than other skaters who chose not to publicize their relationships. Also it's unfair how people are congratulating them and wishing them happiness because how about those skaters who has not found someone to love or happy even if they are single. :drama:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Stay pressed. :laugh2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree with the voice that Yuna Kim is just being who she is; a classy conduct of the Queen. She reminds me of Audrey Hepburn, one of the greatest film legends and humanitarians in history. It is good that following donations after her donation are heard. Obviously she is an inspirational presence to many people. I'm really grateful for Yuna's generous donation from a good heart to aid the people who have suffered such a tragic earthquake in Nepal. I hope the devastating situation will get better, so that the people could go back to their normal life.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In August 2010, Forbes magazine listed her as one of the highest-paid female athletes in the world, with annual earnings of $9.7 million.[107][108]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yuna
Last I heard, she was worth over 25 million US. But its been awhile.
She is not a person to blow her own horn. But I have heard she gives to a number of charities. That is not our business.
Our business is to admire what she does for us and for others, known or not....Like I said, she is a class act, like MK.

I was under the impression the previous Forbes reports were her TOTAL learning over the course of her ENTIRE career, not per a year. The prize for her entire career works out approx around $300k USD which is approx 2 years training expenses for someone like Patrick Chan. Figure skating does not attract lucrative endorsement, and Korean endorsement are not on the same scale as US/International sportsman. Training back in Korea probably saved alot of outgoing expenses as well.

What is remarkable about her is the fact she really kept her charity up through out the years since young teens. Despite her success, she seems still live a modest life. Modest apartment in a modest part of Seoul. Rarely wear designer gear (unless you count Korean ones for special occasions, or the odd fashion shoots). The amount charity work adds up alot, but more importantly is the 'Yuna effect' for UNICEF and other charitable causes she represent back in Korea. After Tax, After the 30% Prize money KSF contributions, she is probably funding most of the running cost of ATS/Shows and help support young Korean figure skaters where there's little chance of monetary returns. I hope her family save up some and invest wisely for the future.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Exactly. No one is saying any other skater or person on this forum for that matter is good or bad compared to Yuna. I think Yuna does lots of good in a number of ways, therefore I admire her.
I do not understand the motivation for making a post like thst. Yuna did something admirable. Good for her.

If others want to do something admirable, too, then good for them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is a wonderful and kind gesture Yuna has shown. A great example for others. It is also obviously she has been extremely blessed. Of course, famous people, celebrities tend to get media attention for their act of kindness and it is true people with far less may give and even a greater percentage of their savings or it will affect them more but nonetheless it is very generous of Yuna.

cooper

Medalist

fyi it wasn't even her agency nor from her to broadcast what she did. it came from unicef. so i don't know if you're trolling or what but it's not really shocking the hypocrisy coming from this poster.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
In August 2010, Forbes magazine listed her as one of the highest-paid female athletes in the world, with annual earnings of $9.7 million.[107][108]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Yuna

Forbes also published this figure after Sochi in 2014.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ekgkk/4-kim-yuna/

Total estimate earning $16.3 million, prize money $300k, $16mill in endorsement. Not every year is an WC/Olympic year. Consider sport agency can get approx 30 - 50% from negotiating these deals. Training Expenses. Taxes. She started her charity work much earlier than 2009. Easy to do the math.

Charity work, how much time people volunteer and support is a personal thing, but fame and social impact can be a powerful tool for the greater good.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

Wow. Really?

Oh dear...

Nobody ever said it makes her better. Plus she didn't announce it.

*sigh* Someone does a really kind thing and there's always some who find something to complain about.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Well, just because Charlie and Tanith had their wedding featured in People magazine also does not mean that they are any better as a couple than other skaters who chose not to publicize their relationships. Also it's unfair how people are congratulating them and wishing them happiness because how about those skaters who has not found someone to love or happy even if they are single. :drama:
Sarcasm? *** Charlie and Tanith have to do with this?

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Sarcasm? *** Charlie and Tanith have to do with this?

Sorry for not being clear but yes I am. I bring up Charlie and Tanith because they are the most recent example of skaters doing something in their personal lives that people in the forums are celebrating and remarking how wonderful their wedding and relationship is. Whether it is Yuna being publicly thanked by UNICEF for her contribution or Charlie and Tanith being featured in People for their wedding, praising the wonderful things happening to them does not mean it is a slight to other skaters who don't get any press coverage for their charity or relationships/wedding.

peg

Medalist

Acknowledging an act of generorsity by one person does not mean people are criticizing anyone else, especially those who have less money. Not everyone can afford to donate $100K and that's perfectly fine. But that doesn't change the fact that she chose to donate the money. She didn't have to give anything, but she chose to be very generous, and I for one think that's commendable.