Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I hope she takes the time she needs to heal up and that she doesn't rush back to competition. There's not much point in doing that this season. At her best, Adelina can still win Russian nationals; what she doesn't want to do is rush back, have poor performances and hurt her positioning by finishing out of the top 3. There had been several mentions of an ankle injury towards the end of the summer so, to me at least, this doesn't seem like a ploy to "save face" or cover up that she's not ready.

I wish her a speedy recovery.

I heard rumours that she had been reworking her jumps this summer which is why she couldn't land them in her exhibitions, maybe that took a toll on her. I hope she won't rush back to ice either and will take extra time off. One of my favourite soccer players was out for 3 months due to an ankle injury, rushed back to competition and injured himself again and was out for another month. Get well soon Adelina!

anyanka

Record Breaker
I heard rumours that she had been reworking her jumps this summer which is why she couldn't land them in her exhibitions, maybe that took a toll on her. I hope she won't rush back to ice either and will take extra time off. One of my favourite soccer players was out for 3 months due to an ankle injury, rushed back to competition and injured himself again and was out for another month. Get well soon Adelina!

If she's reworking them, that might take time to manifest in good results. It took Mao a full season plus one part of the next to get her jumps into shape once she re-built them from scratch. It did pay off in the end, but she posted some of her worst career results while doing them. Maybe Adel is taking a cue from there and taking more time to rest from injury and the excitement of the Olympic season, plus reworking her jumps, and it may be too much at this time. If that's the case, it may be wise for her to sit the year out and return in fall 2015 refreshed and with new, rock-solid technique.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm hearing she tore ligaments. That's a very, very serious injury and if true, then Russian Nationals isn't even on the cards. Skating before the season's end could be too soon.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Torn ankle ligaments - no way will she be right for Russian Nats.

Also, I really don't like the tone of that article. Were the snarks about "little-known opposition" and "still has not competed since" really necessary?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Torn ankle ligaments - no way will she be right for Russian Nats.
Also, I really don't like the tone of that article. Were the snarks about "little-known opposition" and "still has not competed since" really necessary?
Well, some people prefer theories I guess. I don't want Adelina to go out and skate injured just to prove that she is not avoiding international competitions.

Cardoso

Spectator
These are very sad news. I hope she gets better soon and doesn't rush her come back.

Does anyone know if it's Adelina's left or right ankle? I've twisted my right ankle multiple times in the past (not skating-related) and am always worried about it when I do jumps, since it's my landing foot. I can only imagine how it can psychologically affect someone who does multi-rotation jumps. Good thing she has enough height that she usually doesn't under-rotate, but still...that's a lot of force for the ankle to absorb.

It's her right ankle. She already posted a photo on instagram. And that's the leg she uses to land her jumps (even though she is left-handed).

Well, some people prefer theories I guess. I don't want Adelina to go out and skate injured just to prove that she is not avoiding international competitions.

Unfortunately, I believe this was already the case. Almost one month ago she attended Nike Women’s summit in New York and even to perform simple exercises she was using special bandages around her right ankle.

flutz16

Match Penalty
I suspect she has been injured or ill prepared for the season, her videos were not even uploaded in that russian cup competition.
they are just saving face by withdrawing her from the GP series, Euros even Worlds citing "injury"

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
If that's the case, it may be wise for her to sit the year out and return in fall 2015 refreshed and with new, rock-solid technique.

I agree. The Russian ladies landscape is shifting somewhat but I don't think Adelina is in danger of being left behind. When she's on, she can challenge for the top spot every time. I think it would be better for her to sit out this season, rest, recover, get her jumps to where they need to be, compete some minor events next summer and then come back fresh for the GP in 2015.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I suspect she has been injured or ill prepared for the season, her videos were not even uploaded in that russian cup competition.
they are just saving face by withdrawing her from the GP series, Euros even Worlds citing "injury"
You can see fancams of her videos. She still has her triple jumps, but something clearly isn't right with her--she's not landing her jumps with the same quality she usually does (even when she has a breakdown, like she did at GPF, her jumps are still good when landed).

I don't understand what you're implying. You suspect she's injured, but then say they're just saving face by withdrawing her due to "injury" (now implying the injury is fake). It's not a conspiracy to withdraw a genuinely injured skater, regardless of who that skater is.

Meoima

Match Penalty
You can see fancams of her videos. She still has her triple jumps, but something clearly isn't right with her--she's not landing her jumps with the same quality she usually does (even when she has a breakdown, like she did at GPF, her jumps are still good when landed).
I don't understand what you're implying. You suspect she's injured, but then say they're just saving face by withdrawing her due to "injury" (now implying the injury is fake). It's not a conspiracy to withdraw a genuinely injured skater, regardless of who that skater is.
Yes, and I think the reason she injured was because of over-training. She still looked quite ok in the test skate. Then in the fancam several weeks after that she looked slower and less daring.

Meoima

Match Penalty
NHK is out of luck this year.
No Adelina. And possibly no Yuzuru as well.
I wonder about the ticket sales now.

At least NHk still has K/S

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I wonder about the ticket sales now.
No problem there, surely? Tickets were all sold within 30 seconds weren't they?

But maybe now the criminals/hackers/profiteers can't ask 100x face value for their ill-gotten tickets, on the auction sites.
I don't see any problem with that either :-D

I suppose a handful of people might not bother to go though, if Hanyu doesn't make it...

anyanka

Record Breaker
No problem there, surely? Tickets were all sold within 30 seconds weren't they?

But maybe now the criminals/hackers/profiteers can't ask 100x face value for their ill-gotten tickets, on the auction sites.
I don't see any problem with that either :-D

I suppose a handful of people might not bother to go though, if Hanyu doesn't make it...

Hmmm, Mura recently skated lights-out at Skate Canada and won, right? They might want to see their next great star. Just sayin' ... but your point is well-taken, some will go just to see only the Olympic champions and may have less incentive to actually attend.

Now that you mentioned it, I think I'll go online and try to get those scalper tickets for cheap ... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.