Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's pretty hilarious to read that 9 months later, people are still bitter over her OGM.

Nine months later and I'm still not entirely over it, myself. :p

Although to this day aren't there people on these boards debating the following results: Kwan v. Chen (96W), Kwan v. Lipinski (Nagano), B/S v. S/P (SLC), Chan v. Ten (2013W), Brians (1988)? That's the curse and the beauty of a judged sport: it will continue to raise debate for years to come. And in this case ... it is the OGM, so it's the one people will fiercely talk about for years to come.

breynows

On the Ice
Please Get back to the topic, this OG is over and no one wants to hear about it anymore.
Life goes on guys, get over it :unsure:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Please Get back to the topic, this OG is over and no one wants to hear about it anymore.
Life goes on guys, get over it :unsure:

Adelina's name will forever be attached to controversy. It will follow her wherever she goes. There's nothing you can do about it. Adelina could lessen the controversy with her skating, but she will never compete outside of Russia again. So the controversy remains, forever.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
The only thing that bothers me about people bringing up Sochi is that their anger is completely misdirected. All the kid did was skate her best; she had no control over what scores were given to whom. Smarter more level-headed fans know that there is no reason to be mad at Adelina. The judges are the ones who deserve all of the animosity/venom/bashing/bullying/general unpleasantness.

People who rehash Sochi purely for the opportunity to trash Adelina need to get a life...or at least open your eyes and realize who you need to be mad at. You're using her as a punching bag for your frustration when she had nothing to do with the scoring. Again, direct your anger where it belongs...

Meoima

Match Penalty
The only thing that bothers me about people bringing up Sochi is that their anger is completely misdirected. All the kid did was skate her best; she had no control over what scores were given to whom. Smarter more level-headed fans know that there is no reason to be mad at Adelina. The judges are the ones who deserve all of the animosity/venom/bashing/bullying/general unpleasantness.

People who rehash Sochi purely for the opportunity to trash Adelina need to get a life...or at least open your eyes and realize who you need to be mad at. You're using her as a punching bag for your frustration when she had nothing to do with the scoring. Again, direct your anger where it belongs...
:cheer2: finally some wisdom to the thread.

breynows

On the Ice
Adelina's name will forever be attached to controversy. It will follow her wherever she goes. There's nothing you can do about it. Adelina could lessen the controversy with her skating, but she will never compete outside of Russia again. So the controversy remains, forever.

Only if people like you continues to instigate such brainless topics in a forum like this.

Vanshilar

On the Ice

ITA but in some ways it doesn't really matter (or people were intentionally conflating the two) -- during the Sochi days as soon as you wanted to look into the judging, i.e. whether or not scores given were according to previously established protocols, etc., people immediately called you a Yuna uber and/or Adelina hater and it didn't really matter what your content was. Thus even threads about the judging quickly became about 9/10 filled with people trying to derail it with accusations of ubering/hating. Just look at any of the judging threads that were around at the time.

I think more people recognize that the problem was with the judges than you may think, just that you would never notice it from the naysayers on this forum.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Not exactly. Sotnikova is getting even more heat than expected because she's been very publicly defiant about her win, so it gives off the impression that she agrees with, and supports the judging that all the "naysayers" take issue with. If she had addressed the controversy in a more diplomatic manner (ex: think what Hanyu, Kwan, Kim would've said if they were in her position), I think people would be more mollified and less eager to jump down her throat.

If she somehow manages to show up at Pyeongchang, I really think the audience will boo her.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Not exactly. Sotnikova is getting even more heat than expected because she's been very publicly defiant about her win, so it gives off the impression that she agrees with, and supports the judging that all the "naysayers" take issue with. If she had addressed the controversy in a more diplomatic manner (ex: think what Hanyu, Kwan, Kim would've said if they were in her position), I think people would be more mollified and less eager to jump down her throat.

If she somehow manages to show up at Pyeongchang, I really think the audience will boo her.
What was she supposed to say? "Here, I give my OGM to Yuna"?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Nope. Something more in the vein of how Hanyu addressed his OGM win over Chan. You def. don't want to strike a defiant note when people are against you, no matter how correct you are.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
How did Hanyu address it? (I'm not trolling. I genuinely can't remember). Does he even need to address it, since no one is disputing it?

IIRC, all Adelina said was, "I did more triples, I performed well," something like that. Which is true. But frankly, she could've said, "Yuna is the greatest!" and she'd still have a truckload of haters.

MalAssada

Medalist
I'm thinking something in the lines of "I am sorry that my Olympic gold upsets you so much. I was indeed overscored as were other people during the Olympic year, but please take note that I have no control over my scores."

It would be wiser to take the italic part off, but if she ever says that she will earn my eternal respect.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Nope. Something more in the vein of how Hanyu addressed his OGM win over Chan. You def. don't want to strike a defiant note when people are against you, no matter how correct you are.

Given people have been spamming Sotnikova's social media accounts with death threats and personal attacks, isn't it understandable that she would be defiant about her win? Giving in and trying to placate the online harassment just gives more power to the pathetic people who perpetuate online abuse.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Adelina doesn't need to apologize for something she has no control over. And for those who bash her, her apology is likely to do nothing but fuel the flames.

If she does indeed think she's overscored, she would earn my respect if she says it. But if in her heart of hearts she doesn't believe so, then I'd hate it if she said that to appease people.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
She doesn't need to say she's overscored or anything she doesn't believe in. She can be more diplomatic in addressing the controversy without ceding anything.

Remember, Patrick Chan never asked for the scores he got from judges, but he did himself no favors with the public with the remarks he gave about his Worlds Golds. Hence the disdain he receives from a portion of skating fans.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
How did Hanyu address it? (I'm not trolling. I genuinely can't remember). Does he even need to address it, since no one is disputing it?

IIRC, all Adelina said was, "I did more triples, I performed well," something like that. Which is true. But frankly, she could've said, "Yuna is the greatest!" and she'd still have a truckload of haters.

He said something like how his performance wasn't worthy and that he hopes he can improve to be the type of skater that is worthy of the gold, blah, blah, blah.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Adelina doesn't need to apologize for something she has no control over. And for those who bash her, her apology is likely to do nothing but fuel the flames.

If she does indeed think she's overscored, she would earn my respect if she says it. But if in her heart of hearts she doesn't believe so, then I'd hate it if she said that to appease people.

:points::cheer::cheer2::biggrin::thumbsup:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

You have to broaden your view and put yourself in her shoes. In her mind, she skated her best and deserved to win. There are many who will agree with her just like there are many who disagree. The fact of the matter is that Adelina did have a case for gold. She had one of the strongest performances of the night. Should she have won? Personally I don't think so...but you can't expect her to say, "I had the performance of my life and fulfilled my life long dream of winning the Olympics, but I totally shouldn't have won." She acknowledged that others skated well but the judges thought she was the best. Does someone honestly expect her to disagree with that? Look at it from her perspective... I think it would be incredibly odd if she sided with all of the people who are against her win. Has that ever happened? Has an athlete ever walked away from/denounced the ultimate prize in their sport that they trained their entire life for all because popular opinion dictated it?

People only look at situations from one side; sometimes you have to think about the other side of it. If in your mind you thought you were the best and deserved to win then of course you'll be defiant when people question you. Honestly, I feel sorry for her. The vitriol she has to deal with from random people who hate her for something she had no control over is really shocking to me. I do think that if she goes to Pyeongchang she'll be on the receiving end of some boos if not worse. Lots of figure skating fans are pissed she won but I'd say a good majority of the Koreans are livid .:slink:

evangeline

Record Breaker
He said something like how his performance wasn't worthy and that he hopes he can improve to be the type of skater that is worthy of the gold, blah, blah, blah.

But those are completely different situations.

Hanyu skated poorly and won the gold. He made some contrite remarks about his poor performance. As far as I can recall, he never apologized for the scores the judges gave him--he only commented about the fact that he skated poorly.

Sotnikova skated a strong performance and won the gold. Is she supposed to apologize for her strong performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.