Julia 26 (2nd COC, 2nd TEB)
Ashley 24 (2nd SC, 3rd TEB)
Rika 22 (5th SC, 1st RC)

Still to skate:
Gracie Gold -11 (3rd SA)
Satoko Miyahara 11 (3rd SC)
Kanako Murakami 11 (3rd COC)
Polina Edmunds 9 (4th COC)

Basically, if the winner of NHK is one of the four skaters above they willget a spot. The second place winner will have to be one of the bronze medalists and they will have to score more overall to kick Ashley out of the spot (Miyahara 182.00; Gold 184.37; Murakami; 194.35)

So a realistic scenario where Ashley could get kicked out would basically one bronze medalist or someone else winning NHK and one of the bronze medalists getting second and scoring higher than the scores above.)

Leonova and Daleman can play spoiler at NHK though they're to far down in the placements to make GPF.

The only scenario where Rika will hold on to her spot is if none of the bronze medalists win or get second place AND Polina doesn't win. (dream podium for Rika's GPF chances: Alena Leonova/Zijun Li for the win/silver and Polina for 2nd or 3rd.)

Yulia is safe though, I think.

With one event left to skate only one other skater can get 26 points so she's a lock now.

I'm glad Yulia was able to pull off a better performance. She left many points on the table but she looked more confident. I'm so happy she landed the triple sal. It's given her so much trouble in her last three freeskates.

I love her dress, and I can't wait to see what the program looks like when it's clean.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 203.92 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy, 6th Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 185.18 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy, 6th Copy
3. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 177.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Courtney HICKS - (USA) - 172.58 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 169.46 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Maria ARTEMIEVA (RUS) - 162.49 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
7. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 161.70 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
8. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 154.70 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
9. Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE) - 144.29 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Veronik MALLET (CAN) - 139.64 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA) - 139.54 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
12. Anna OVCHAROVA (SUI) - 133.23 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony, 2nd Copy

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As amazing as it was to see Wagner go for the 3Z+3T at the very end, I think it was a rather silly move too... If she had done an easier 3Z+2T (or 3Z+2T+2L), she still would have gotten bronze, but would have picked up more points making it harder for Gold/Miyahara/Murakami to beat her on a tiebreaker if they come 2nd at NHK. I guess she was gunning for silver, though. I hope it doesn't come down to that because I really want Wagner to make the GPF!

Last edited:

Skategmt

On the Ice
With one event left to skate only one other skater can get 26 points so she's a lock now.

I'm glad Yulia was able to pull off a better performance. She left many points on the table but she looked more confident. I'm so happy she landed the triple sal. It's given her so much trouble in her last three freeskates.
I love her dress, and I can't wait to see what the program looks like when it's clean.

Glad im not the only one who picked up on it! ive been saying it for awhile and the commentators always ignore it. It drives me crazy!

jan

On the Ice
Interesting commentary from Kurt Browning on CBC. He was talking about Julia's crosscuts and how they are weak. Carol Lane was saying how the program just showed her skating up and down the ice. They love Elena and Kurt feels that she could be someone who could potentially create memorable performances like Katarina Witt.

Great skate from Elena, she's such a great jumping bean that many skaters could only wish they could jump like her.
Loved Yuliyas dress...so pretty! I :love: both her dresses this year, beautiful, elegant and simple...unlike other skaters who's dresses look like they bought them from Toddlers & Tiaras :laugh: Looks like Yuliya may be getting used to her new skates, since she feels comfortable doing more difficult jumps. She is far from where she was last season, yet she is easily wining silvers, which says a lot about the type of scores she will receive when the boot problems are over and she starts landing lutz and flips and doing clean skates like she did the previous season. Then she could definitely win over Elena.

ranjake

Final Flight
Interesting commentary from Kurt Browning on CBC. He was talking about Julia's crosscuts and how they are weak. Carol Lane was saying how the program just showed her skating up and down the ice. They love Elena and Kurt feels that she could be someone who could potentially create memorable performances like Katarina Witt.
That's interesting. I wish I could hear Kurt's Commentary about ALL of the skaters.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I heard Kurt talking about Julia...didn't agree, neither the Katarina Witt memorable program...When I checked it on you tube, God I didn't like it at all. It was so cheesy, and not my cup of tea in the jumps too. I prefer Julia a thousand times...And about oldies but gold-y, a program I will always love to watch is Denise Biellmann in 1980 at the Olympics and '81 when she won the world championship. Not only that program was amazing, but I grew crazy about the music, only to find out it was Francis Lai...Bilitis what a beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_QiK85KRg

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
I heard Kurt talking about Julia...didn't agree, neither the Katarina Witt memorable program...When I checked it on you tube, God I didn't like it at all. It was so cheesy, and not my cup of tea in the jumps too. I prefer Julia a thousand times...And about oldies but gold-y, a program I will always love to watch is Denise Biellmann in 1980 at the Olympics and '81 when she won the world championship. Not only that program was amazing, but I grew crazy about the music, only to find out it was Francis Lai...Bilitis what a beauty

I love Kurt and generally enjoy his commentary, but I'm not sure he's entirely objective when it comes to Katarina Witt. IIRC, he had a huge crush on her back in the day.

And this season, I far prefer Julia to Elena. Although Elena skated better here than at SA and seemed less frenetic and jerky, it was still a little too heavy on the flailing arms for me to enjoy it.

unico

Final Flight
Well, Kurt Browning and co didn't hesitate to criticize Radionova's skating too. They pointed out that while she does move easily across the ice, she lacks power in her stroking, and Carol Lane pointed out her bad posture particularly through her shoulders. But from what I remember, they really praised her for really putting an effort into her performance and connecting with the audience. He didn't make the comparison to Witt in terms of similar style but in terms of the potential for creating "memorable programs".

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I'm really not crazy about Ashley's music choices, the lyrics seems too loud and overbearing to me.
But I am happy her and Courtney both had good skates.

thegirc

Match Penalty
Julia was so much better than in CoC and her free program turned out to be amazing.
She will grow in confidence and stability with every week from now on, beware. :):yay:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone else think Elena Radionova has the best Beillman in the game? At least of the current skaters. I swear its inhuman and I half expect a spider web to appear when she hits full extension! 0_o

Skategmt

On the Ice
Does anyone else think Elena Radionova has the best Beillman in the game? At least of the current skaters. I swear its inhuman and I half expect a spider web to appear when she hits full extension! 0_o

I was thinking the same ting when watched her!!

taltaltel

On the Ice

I absolutely agree about Denise Biellmann :yay: the way she teased everyone with variations of the Biellmann before finally going to it near the end was amazing. I think her positions on all her spins are incredibly aesthetically pleasing and a lot of the current skaters should learn from that instead of doing ugly butt spins - Denise is probably the only skater whose side laybacks I can really appreciate because most of the time it looks really ugly when others do it... She also performed the heck out of that program, and skating to House of the Rising Sun :cheer:

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Glad im not the only one who picked up on it! ive been saying it for awhile and the commentators always ignore it. It drives me crazy!

It seems to always be her nemesis, when she's having physical or mental problems, she had trouble with it two years ago, doubling and/or falling on it when she was going through her growth-spurt/puberty. That's the major reason she lost to Elena at her second Jr Worlds.

I'm glad she bounced back, but she's always done that. I really don't get the people who were all doom and gloom after CofC. Didn't they learn anything from watching skating. Even now when she left 16-17 points TES and at least 3-4 PCS points on the table people are predicting now, when there's over 3 months till worlds that Elena is unbeatable. She's definitely looking strong but there's still much time and GPF, RN, and Euro's to get through. I won't even dare to predict who will win. All I'll say is it's likely 2 Russian girls will take home 2 of the medals. Anything more is counting chickens before they hatch.

thoakun

Final Flight
I liked her too. She was lovely indeed.

Great to hear that. People often talk about how underrated Mae, which I agree, but Haruka doesn't seem to get enough respect from judges either. She's my most favorite Giselle. The frequent meltdowns and lack of power in her skating seem to hurt her PCS.

Last edited:

boo69

Rinkside
Why are the judges being so generous with Ashley this season, whereas last season, Ashley felt that she was 'gypped'. I don't think her skating improved that much from last season. She skates like a slightly more graceful version of Surya Bonaly.