2024 World Junior Championships Women's Short Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2024 World Junior Championships Women's Short Program

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'm so excited for the free now. I hope we'll get comeback Mao and confident Jia, which should make for a great showdown. If they both go clean, Mao will win based on the strength of her technical elements, but she rarely skates cleanly in the free. Jia finally has her chance to snatch a Junior Worlds title and prove that she, too, is just as good of a skater. And the rest of the women were fantastic as well, that cutoff was so high and there were some really great skates that missed out on the free program.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can I just say that if there were PCS points for costumes (as discussed earlier :laugh:) I would give them to Derya and... was it Stephania in the green?It's a good think I can't, I guess...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope she won't dominate but that depends on the political decision...
I hope so too, nothing against her and Japan will want her to as they hunt for another superstar, but Jia simply has more... it. But to be fair, it is going to be quite a while before Mao gets to seniors, who knows how she'll develop?

Leonardo

Final Flight
I hope so too, nothing against her and Japan will want her to as they hunt for another superstar, but Jia simply has more... it. But to be fair, it is going to be quite a while before Mao gets to seniors, who knows how she'll develop?
Yes jia has more it... more unclear outside edge on lutz, more inconsistency, more flat feet, more lack of extension...

readernick

Medalist
Enjoyed the competition. I haven't been able to watch figure skating live in a long time. Good competition. My favorite today was actually Ikura Kushida. She's a lovely performer. Sherry's definitely my favorite American junior. She has such nice basics and her jumps are beautiful. ( If landed) Inga's jumps are truly impressive live but her crossovers could use some work.

Jia and Mao are both wonderful. Mao's spins are just breathtaking. Both have nice jumps and skating skills. Jia was more connected to her music today ( but her combo looked a bit UR to me, bit surprised if wasn't called) . Neither is my favorite, both are incredible.

Really all that skaters were impressive. I'm sad the South African skater didn't make them FS. She had some performance quality.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those that were disappointed about Zhasmin SHLAGA (KGZ) not making the Free and are wondering what they will be missing on Friday, here is the highest scoring perfromance of her FS, within the archived livestream from the Bosphorus Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBhDHMnOOnw&t=37745

Incidentally, Elina GOIDINA (EST), the skater that finished 5th in the SP today, skated directly before Zhasmin in the FS in Istanbul. She had finished the SP in 8th position, 2.03 points behind Zhasmin in 7th. Inga GURGENIDZE (GEO), who was 7th today, had won the SP from Stefania GLADKI (FRA), who was 10th today.

CaroLiza_fan

Joekaz

On the Ice
Enjoyed the competition. I haven't been able to watch figure skating live in a long time. Good competition. My favorite today was actually Ikura Kushida. She's a lovely performer. Sherry's definitely my favorite American junior. She has such nice basics and her jumps are beautiful. ( If landed) Inga's jumps are truly impressive live but her crossovers could use some work.

Jia and Mao are both wonderful. Mao's spins are just breathtaking. Both have nice jumps and skating skills. Jia was more connected to her music today ( but her combo looked a bit UR to me, bit surprised if wasn't called) . Neither is my favorite, both are incredible.

Really all that skaters were impressive. I'm sad the South African skater didn't make them FS. She had some performance quality.
Agree about the combo being short. Looked at least a q for sure.

NaVi

Medalist
The highish score needed to make the FS got me thinking about how that's changed over the years and how it relates to the score needed to make the FS for Senior Worlds.

Score needed to make the FS at Junior Worlds for the past 10 years.

2024 - 53.35
2023 - 48.57
2022 - 51.75
2020 - 50.43
2019 - 46.70
2018 - 45.88
2017 - 44.66
2016 - 43.38
2015 - 45.06
2014 - 42.05

Scores needed to make the FS as Senior Worlds for 10 years starting with 2023 Worlds
2023 - 54.65
2022 - 55.71
2021 - 57.72
2019 - 55.20
2018 - 50.63
2017 - 54.83
2016 - 49.86
2015 - 43.85
2014 - 49.34
2013 - 48.14

Difference betweent the above scores for years where both a senior and junior worlds were held.
2023 - 6.08
2022 - 3.96
2019 - 8.50
2018 - 4.75
2017 - 10.17
2016 - 6.48
2015 - -1.21
2014 - 7.29

Pretty wild swings in the score difference. I think it'll become less swingy over time and that the scores will become quite close to one another.

-------------------
Elina Goidina and Anastasia Brandenburg backloaded their 3T-3T which gives them a 9.24 BV vs a 9.50 BV for a front loaded 3F+3T. I can't help but think more junior skaters should try a backloaded 3T-3T as it's not possible to recover from botching the first jump in the combination.

Also, Sherry Zhang had the highest TES score at the Youth Olympics with a clever layout without a 3-3 or even a 2A-3T and I think more should probably copy this layout: 3Lo 3Lz+2T 3T 3Lz 3F+2A+2A 3F+2T 3S

Last edited:

LazyFuzai

Laziness is my only love.
On the Ice
Literally pure perfection from Mia and Jia.That's how we should end every competition.

As for the rest kinda sad to see Rena messing up combination.Great performance from Kushida and especially impressed by Inga.She came like a storm into the ring.By the way it was the same Josephine Lee that got 2nd in Nationals right?😕

Gonna be great fight for 3rd place.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
I thought Inga was totally robbed again. It's kind of obvious what's going on I suppose. I won't elaborate. All jumps completely rotated. Fast and attacks the ice.

Shimada probably got off a little lightly with her flip combo. The flip probably should have got a q and the lutz was not rotated properly. The jumps have become a little laboured for her.

I actually thought it was a really great performance by Shimada (better than usual but the jumps had issues) I'd have her slightly ahead of Shin for PCS, but Shin was great as always. Never makes errors despite under immense pressure to be perfect up against Shimada. Shin's combo looked short too, so maybe call it even on the judging. Just chalk it up to bad refereeing (as is often the case with the last 6).

Friday is going to be interesting for the top two. Shimada is probably an 80% chance of falling on the 4T, I think she has to go for the 3A otherwise is risking Shin getting a free chance at victory. The 3A is so stable, I expect it to be a comfortable 10 point victory for Shimada in the end but the inevitable fall on the 4T and then the second fall on the 3A makes it very close.

readernick

Medalist
As for the rest kinda sad to see Rena messing up combination.Great performance from Kushida and especially impressed by Inga.She came like a storm into the ring.By the way it was the same Josephine Lee that got 2nd in Nationals right?😕
Yes, Rena seemed off. Kushida was amazing. Josephine was not impressive to me in warmup or during the program. Her skating doesn't flow that well and her jumps in the program and during practiced were UR. I'm thinking very lenient calls at Nationals. Inga's jumps are impressive but I will say she looked a bit chaotic compared to others in her group and while she skates fast the crossovers aren't the best and has rather an empty program. I understand the PCS marks.

JeanA

Rinkside
Rooting for Mao to win. I'd love to see her as four time World junior champion before she's allowed in Senior Worlds! Though if the Russians return next year and Bazylyuk stays in form, that might be an impossible task.