Have you ever thrown gifts for skaters on ice before? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Have you ever thrown gifts for skaters on ice before?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
For the right person and right performance, I don't see why not. Heck, I'd even throw myself onto the ice if I could.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OT but- a 100% acrylic sock yarn? :eek: Where, where? What brand? :laugh:

I don't remember the name. I actually didn't intend to get acrylic yarn. I didn't know it was until after I bought it. And it wasn't even technically fingering weight yarn (The weight of yarn appropriate for socks) but it was thin enough to make it look like sock yarn.

The purple color that it was was very pretty.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I shall like to throw voodoo dolls of other competitors onto the ice, and see if their rival skaters take them and stick needles in them. You can find out who hates who. Heh. :p

The only skaters right now on whom that will NOT work would be Yuzu, Javi and Nam, since they're all friends. I'm sure so many others are petty and judgy and I live for the gossip. Heh. (Yes Muriel is terrible)

Alex D

Record Breaker
We know when we watch skating competitions, after a skater finishes a program, some fans will throw gifts onto the ice for the skater.

I wondering, have any of you done that before?

Since all my skating activities are usually related to being a member of the press, no I don't throw stuff on the ice. However, I do congratulate skaters and wish them luck if I see them. Besides that I let them know if they were mentioned in my articles ;) Very good performances are given standing ovations too!

Oh wait, what I said is not 100% correct.

It sometimes happens that we in the press stands are hit by toys and gifts from fans who have some poor aiming skills, so ya I do throw stuff on the ice then as well - but its not mine :laugh2:

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since all my skating activities are usually related to being a member of the press, no I don't throw stuff on the ice. However, I do congratulate skaters and wish them luck if I see them. Besides that I let them know if they were mentioned in my articles ;) Very good performances are given standing ovations too!

Oh wait, what I said is not 100% correct.

It sometimes happens that we in the press stands are hit by toys and gifts from fans who have some poor aiming skills, so ya I do throw stuff on the ice then as well - but its not mine :laugh2:

I was nervous about hitting the judges or the photographers at Skate America cause my throw sucks. Luckily it made it onto the ice. But barely.

owl

On the Ice
Do skaters go through all their gifts themselves or do they have other people sort through them? Haven't seen a competition in person yet and thus haven't thrown anything--I'm just curious.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
;) too many winks, my eyes feel so sore, but this is a serious question, I know your only intention is just to bug me, so please leave me alone will ya.:p
is it okay to throw used stuffed animal, seriously?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Do skaters go through all their gifts themselves or do they have other people sort through them? Haven't seen a competition in person yet and thus haven't thrown anything--I'm just curious.

I think it depends on the skater. I'm sure a big-name skater like Yuzuru Hanyu who gets a lot of gifts definitely has some help sorting through all the gifts he gets, or he'd never have time to do anything else.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually see no reason why someone couldn't throw their own stuffed animals. It's a cool idea considering how many of us have stories behind them. I just know from first hand experience that I have drooled all over mine and cuddled with them during sick times so I'd have to figure out how to sanitize mine for the safety of my favorite skaters. No intent to bug anyone I'm just a bit goofy by nature :slink:

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
;) too many winks, my eyes feel so sore, but this is a serious question, I know your only intention is just to bug me, so please leave me alone will ya.:p

I would say as long as it got washed before throwing it, then yeah go throw that beloved plushie of yours

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Just my two cents, based on experience as support staff for a public figure (someone unrelated to skating):

YMMV ... but in this day and age (post-9/11, etc.), the cold hard truth is that recipients cannot be blamed for erring on the side of caution.
Any gift, any mail, any package that seems the tiniest bit "fishy" or "weird" for whatever reason is vulnerable to getting discarded.

Just to be on the safe side, I prob. would not have felt comfortable passing along a used stuffed animal to my boss.
I would have had no way of being sure -- absolutely 100% sure -- that it came from someone with good intentions. And it simply would not have been worth taking a risk.
(Although the same theoretically is true of a brand-new stuffed animal, a used one would have raised more uncertainty in my mind.)

And esp. if we had been in the middle of traveling and dealing with the inconvenience of luggage, I would not have added to our load by hanging on to anything that struck me as dubious in any way at all.​

Last edited: