2015 Worlds Men Short Program March 27 | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Men Short Program March 27

slider11

Medalist
I must agree. Adam deserves more respect resulting in higher scores in the area of artistry. I do think his LP is a better vehicle to showcase this so hopefully with a clean skate like at Nationals he will be given some recognition by the international judges. I think he still is being pegged for his performances during the GP which were deserved then. Although a podium finish is highly unlikely I would like to see him 7 or 8th; ideally as high as 5th but that would take some mistakes elsewhere. I don't like to root against someone else but I do like consistent standards.
Yes, there obviously could be a lot of movement up and down, and usually is with the unevenness of performances these days and the way the sport is scored. Still, I'm willing to bet the top three will likely remain the same and in the same order, unless Denis is perfect and Javi and Yuzu have more than 3 major mistakes. :laugh: Han being in his home country could also slip in there if he skates lights out and the others falter. Not a given though. Jason could move up a spot or not, so he needs to skate perfectly too.

Even staying on his feet and going for the quad does not seem to work for Adam. Anyone else gets huge props for simply going for it and making the rotations, or falling, or stumbling out. Adam's quad attempt here was better than at Nationals. After seeing how high Adam's tech score was, I think it is really dumping on him and his fans how far his score was dropped. It is really dumping on a guy going out there and giving his all. Again, Adam and some others get little respect, and are looked at with fine tooth combs and not given enough credit for their artistry, while others have huge margin for error. Even Josh did not skate horrible after the unexpected fall, but they made him pay for it so dearly.

gmyers

Record Breaker
About Russians, I don't remember what happened. Menshov was very good last year. Why didn't he qualify? I like Kotvun but his mind is still slightly childish. He is 19 in the end. He needs a good psychologist.

Beaten by pitkeev at nationals who was sent to euros. I remember thinking pitkeev shouldn't be sent to euros menshov should.

Art&Sport

Medalist
What a disastrous men's competition over all again. Since the technical controller for the men's event is famous, Alexander Lakernik, I should have not be surprised.

Hanyu as usual is way overscored and Javi should've led the short. However, I would not pretend to be surprised since I've followed the men's event. I wish I would not know of this discipline at all. Kovtun's PCS over both Farris and Yan with fantastic skating skills? Ridiculous. Voronov increased his PCS with the performance. Just wow. I highly think of Kozuka's skating skills, but how could be the PCS awarded to him with THAT performance as goes to Mura. Just shameful. I'm so disappointed in not only their performances but also the judges' judgement over the skaters' scores in general.

The music error occurred for D10 is weird. How can this thing happened in the high-level competition? I felt really sorry for him although I do not consider myself as his fan yet. The only good thing for me in the event is that the French guys have a better chance for keeping the World 2 spots.

Right, that disruption was quite unfair for DTen and could have thrown off his concentration. All the men's events these days are all over the place with ridiculous scoring, particularly on PCS, no matter who the tech controller, but thanks for pointing that out..

I would love to see each and every slow-mo of not only Adam's jumps, but of every single competitor's jumps in order to compare where the judges didn't look so closely at landings, and where they took off points and didn't take off points. I bet the inconsistencies would be as great if not greater than the way PCS is handed out.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Whew I'm cheering for more skaters than ever this year, and some of them have been so painful to watch.

Joshuaaaa! -there is still the FS.
Kozukaaaa! -There is still the FS.
Muraaaaa! -same

and some pleasant surprises.
Amodio Doesn't Bomb.
Han Yan is nearly perfect!!
Fernandez does a clean prorgam! (and I'd have wanted the judges to score him better on his TR and CH please and thank you.)
Yuzu was not a disaster! -Because looking at his run-throughs and practice, I was assuming he'd make a mistake on all jumping passes and he didn't.
Brendan was better than I've ever seen him.
Brezina was also wonderful and why didn't the judges like him?
Misha did sooo well.
Brown is in the final flight!

All-in-all, not too bad, but very strange.

Yuzu, your country needs you, or Japan could lose 2 spots instead of just one. :hopelessness:

Last edited:

yay

On the Ice
I knew Kovtun would bomb right after I saw he would have to skate after Hanyu.
Kozuka broke my heart again but I was kind of prepared.

As for Hanyu. Well, I'll just quote what Max Trankov said after this skate: this is what "figure skating" is supposed to be. And he's the only one nailing it.
Too bad we never managed to see this program executed perfectly. It deserved it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
13k+ views now. :eek:

Give it 24 hours :) 100K + ?

While I understand this talk of overscore, but it tends to go with territory of being a leader of the sport. Hanyu like Patrick before him are reigning champions, so they get benefit of doubt. Especially Hanyu, he and Javier
were a different class from the rest of the field today.

...But really after Voronov and Kovtun received 40s in their PCS, everyone feels underscored, so it kind of balance it out in the end.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist

As for Hanyu. Well, I'll just quote what Max Trankov said after this skate: this is what "figure skating" is supposed to be. And he's the only one nailing it.
Too bad we never managed to see this program executed perfectly. It deserved it.

Oh well, but Hanyu shows major brilliance mixed in with at least 1 to 3 errors per program or per competition. I would not call that nailing it. But mayhap being Chan's heir, the OTT props from judges is to be expected. Hanyu is flowy and brilliant when he does complete his elements so judges think his bloopers don't matter, just as with Chan. They are judging acrobatic quad skating, not figure skating.

Meoima

Match Penalty
There's still World Team Trophy. :)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Hanyu moves so beautifully across the ice and it's mesmerizing to watch. The glide, the smoothness, the flow! His skating is much more refined than last year's (still has alot of arm flailing though). He didn't let his failed quad deter the rest of his program, which was almost exquisite. His 3A is INSANE.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
no.......no words to describe my feelings right now;;;

eta. sorry to say it this late, but many thanks to os168 for helping me out re streamings earlier during mens SP! :)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What a disastrous men's competition over all again. Since the technical controller for the men's event is famous, Alexander Lakernik, I should have not be surprised.

Hanyu as usual is way overscored and Javi should've led the short. However, I would not pretend to be surprised since I've followed the men's event. I wish I would not know of this discipline at all. Kovtun's PCS over both Farris and Yan with fantastic skating skills? Ridiculous. Voronov increased his PCS with the performance. Just wow. I highly think of Kozuka's skating skills, but how could be the PCS awarded to him with THAT performance as goes to Mura. Just shameful. I'm so disappointed in not only their performances but also the judges' judgement over the skaters' scores in general.

The music error occurred for D10 is weird. How can this thing happened in the high-level competition? I felt really sorry for him although I do not consider myself as his fan yet. The only good thing for me in the event is that the French guys have a better chance for keeping the World 2 spots.

agreed: disastrous…

why 2 spots for France? no need… amodio is great… nobody else is needed… ( i can see, despite i never liked him, that when Joubert was there, it was necessary to have two spots for France, but now… let's just wish for Florent to skate how he can skate… it was refreshing to see his SP last night. )

andromache

Record Breaker
Won't be able to watch the event until tonight, but I just checked out the scores. Jason is the only men in the top ten to receive zero negative GOE from the judges. Seriously, whatever Kori is doing to make him skate so clean is working.

Aside from the URs, did Adam skate clean? Although it looks like he lost levels on his StSq...good for him on keeping those spin levels up though.

Josh. :hopelessness: Like the American ladies, I hope he gets a redemption skate in the LP.

Congrats to the top three, especially Javier for having what looks like a clean skate! As for Kovtun, I kept scrolling down the scoresheet expecting to see his name and then wondering if he WD before I saw him in 16th. :slink: It's odd to see him propped up on PCS of all things.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't think Max was watching the same competition. Jason and Han, nailed it. They performed programs that show what figure skating is supposed to be. Yuzu? at this competition so far? Don't see it. :disapp: