JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

JGP Riga Cup Men FS Aug 29

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Wow! I didn't expect bronze for that...but I'm thrilled with the podium! :love: Kevin was great too...all the top 5 was really interesting to watch this time.

I agree - I never would have expected that performance to get the bronze medal. Like TheGrandSophy, I would have preferred if Kevin had won it.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I'm so happy to see Deniss with a medal finally!!! Also congratulation to Aliev who managed to win after just 6th place finish in the SP. But the FP was very good. Not so good skate from Krasnozhon, but also not a disaster. Gumennik needs more maturity to his skating, but it will come in a few years. And I really enjoyed Kevin Aymoz from France. This competition was my first time seeing him but I loved it, especially the long program. He reminds me Amodio with some of his moves.

robinhood

Rinkside
Congrats to Aliev, his jumping clinic was amazing
My favourite was Deniss, with 2 ss, hehehe....I can't understand him having a lower score for skating skills than the russian

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree - I never would have expected that performance to get the bronze medal. Like TheGrandSophy, I would have preferred if Kevin had won it.

The judges did give Kevin much higher PCS, but Alexei did enough on the TES side plus had the SP lead to get him into third, so the results made sense to me.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I felt like, other than Deniss, the dullest skates in the top group got the medals. I am sure the TES may warrant it? I really don't keep track enough of the tech, I am ashamed to say. I watch for performance and that is how it felt to me. Apologies to those that loved the other two medalists. Just an honest opinion, not meant to be mean.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
The judges did give Kevin much higher PCS, but Alexei did enough on the TES side plus had the SP lead to get him into third, so the results made sense to me.

I agree that it makes sense, as Alexei's TES score was much higher... I just preferred Kevin's performance as a whole.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

Ah, okay. I am afraid I still haven't got around to watching the SP. I was so busy that day.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I felt like, other than Deniss, the dullest skates in the top group got the medals. I am sure the TES may warrant it? I really don't keep track enough of the tech, I am ashamed to say. I watch for performance and that is how it felt to me. Apologies to those that loved the other two medalists. Just an honest opinion, not meant to be mean.

I have trouble keeping up with the tech part of the skate as well- I usually have to wait until protocols are out to refresh my memory. I really remember the performance side though..

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals showed Alexei tanked on execution, lost two points or so, but Kevin also had negative GOE overall and his base value was 12 points less so that is where the difference lies

Alexei also gave away points on spins, but he noted that weakness in his interview so I hope we see an improvement in his next event.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have trouble keeping up with the tech part of the skate as well- I usually have to wait until protocols are out to refresh my memory. I really remember the performance side though..

It would be kind of funny to read a point by point assessment of PCS as it unfolds during everyone's performance. Like a list of PCS elements. Especially when hip jiggling and thrusting are involved.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Last group was exciting! Lots of speed, power and energy attacking elements, and so much skills! Exactly why I love watching the guys the most.
The way Deniss extends his body before a jump :love: GORGEOUS!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Question: were Dmitry's skating skills better than Deniss'? I ask because on the tech side I am not very knowledgeable, but it looked to me that Deniss had deeper edges and yet Dmitry's SS was a bit higher. However, I may need schooling! ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Last group was exciting! Lots of speed, power and energy attacking elements, and so much skills! Exactly why I love watching the guys the most.
The way Deniss extends his body before a jump :love: GORGEOUS!

Agreed. Much better group imo than in Bratislava. And several of the same guys will be in Poland :popcorn:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Question: were Dmitry's skating skills better than Deniss'? I ask because on the tech side I am not very knowledgeable, but it looked to me that Deniss had deeper edges and yet Dmitry's SS was a bit higher. However, I may need schooling! ;)

Must have been really close because a tenth of a point difference amongst so many judges is a pretty good indicator that they were close. Maybe not similar but close. Deep edges is one of like 11 factors.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agreed. Much better group imo than in Bratislava. And several of the same guys will be in Poland :popcorn:

I liked both! The skates by the medalists on the whole were cleaner in Bratslavia but I can see how you would have a preference here (and Dmitri's performance was far superior technically than either of the top two in Bratislava). :)

Also regarding Dmitri's skating skills. I thought he has good ice coverage and speed, so I'm not outraged in that regard.

Last edited: