2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23 | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies SP Oct 23

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I just watched several of the videos, and I am quite impressed with the women in this competition. As someone mentioned earlier, all but one of the skaters did a 3-3 combo, which is great to see! :)

-Evgenia: Obviously, she skated the program very, very well, and I actually didn't find it nearly as unbalanced as I expected, given the layout. That said, I just didn't find it a terribly interesting program. I found myself zoning out... which is pretty bad for a SP.
-Gracie: I really like this program for Gracie - and she appears to be enjoying it too, which is wonderful to see! What a shame about the silly mistake on the flip. I agree that they should change it to a loop.
-Satoko: This is a lovely program as well, although some parts seem like she doesn't quite have the 'juje' (as Jenny Kirk would say) to pull off. She has so many nice qualities to her skating, so it is a shame that her jumps are so tiny and whippy. I wonder how much of that is due to the fact she learned to jump the other way initially. Honestly, I think it would be a better program without the jumps, as I find them to the point of being disruptive.
-Karen: Karen did a great job! She is a perfect example of someone tiny who jumps big. Her spins and spiral were wonderful. :)
-Julia: Those jumps are scary to watch. Like most of the other people on this board, I don't see the connection between the (pretty tacky) costume and the program. It would have worked for, say, the Rainbow Brite theme song, but not for Elvis. :p It is nice to see Julia smiling during the program, and I do think her curly ponytail looks nice.
-Alaine: I really, really like this program for Alaine. It's quirky, which I think is a good 'style' for her, and she hits all the nuances in the music well. I really hope that she can get rid of her underrotations on the end of her combinations. She is making significant improvements every year! Also, on a very superficial note, I am pleased that neither of Alaine's costumes this year have gloves!

witcher

Match Penalty
I can't spell evegnias last name too. That's why I have to use her first name.
That's the obvious way to act, kudos. :thumbsup:
I guess Blades of Passion just didn't want to lose the opportunity to ridicule the poor girl. :slink:

shine

Record Breaker
Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
My quick thoughts:

Medvedeva: That score seems really high to me, particulary in her PCS. 31+ is too high. I'd have had her around 28+ for her PCS, which is still excellent for a debuting junior. With her scoring 70+ her first time out, she'll be in the mid to high 70s by the time we get to worlds...it was too much. I expected her to score around 67 or even 68. 70...I just can't agree with that. I think Evgenia is a lovely skater and deserved a high score, but that was just too high.

Gracie: Much stronger performance overall. She gave a little bit of fire and strength to the program which really helped to gloss over her derpy moment with the 2F. I think her PCS are a little too high (I was thinking 31-32+), but if they gave Medvedeva 31+ naturally they had to bump Gracie's PCS. I think Gracie's program is lovely and I'd really like to see her fight for it in the FS.

Satoko: Class of the field IMO. Her small jumps always work against her and her issues on the flip didn't help anything...but DAMN that was a gorgeous program. I love the moments she took to really draw in the crowd. The program was gorgeous and she performed it so beautifully. She was a little swingy on the jumps so I understand her lower TES...however, as always, I'm baffled by her low PCS. I just don't get it. The edge quality, the transitions, the gorgeous choreography, the subtle but fiery interpretation...I don't get what the judges aren't seeing. Satoko is freakin' fabulous. I just feel she's the Akiko of this generation; she's more appreciated by the fans than she is by the judges...

Julia: She gave it a little more energy but the program is still a bit of a mess IMO. That dress is distracting. I LOLed how even the commentators talked about her rainbow vomit dress. That 3F is still giving her fits. I'm worried about her for the FS. We know Med and Satoko are going to bring it. Even if Gracie falls a time or two, she'll likely still score enough to stay in the top 3...Julia needs to pull it together.

The FS is going to be interesting. Unless Evgenia has a fall or two (unlikely) she's got a big lead that's going to be tough to get around. Gracie can and will beat her if she can nail that Firebird FS...the judges will pull some extra points out of their butts to get her to the top of the podium.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Mid 70s? Evegnia's gonna be breaking 80 pts at this rate. *shakes head*

Everything about Satoko other than her jumps is top of the class.

usethis2

Medalist
That's the obvious way to act, kudos. :thumbsup:
I guess Blades of Passion just didn't want to lose the opportunity to ridicule the poor girl. :slink:

So touchy feely for such a trivial matter. Hillary Clinton had trouble pronouncing that last name in a presidential debate for pete's sake. Your accusation and insinuation is ridiculous.

I thought the judging was fair for a change and the overall level of skating was excellent for the top 5 ladies. Gracie did well with a program that is a completely new direction for her. She made one mistake and it's early in the season. Karen Chen's spins were absolutely insane but she also suffers from choreo, I think. They should put some gaps in so that skaters can catch up without looking behind the music.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I like Satoko's program but the small jumps always give a skater somewhat of a juniorish quality. While that should only affect TES on the jumps, I think it does affect PCS as well.

usethis2

Medalist
Of course I should congratulate Ms. Medvedeva for her amazing senior debut. She impressed me with her surprising maturity and relaxed postures. Her skating doesn't look as labored as other Russian ladies' and that was refreshing.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Evgenia should be scoring high though. That whole program is designed to earn every point possible: difficult jump entrances and/or air positions, spins, speed, etc. She is a very complete skater and, to me, doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
So touchy feely for such a trivial matter. Hillary Clinton had trouble pronouncing that last name in a presidential debate for pete's sake. Your accusation and insinuation is ridiculous.

I don't have a problem spending 5 seconds verifying a skaters name is correct before I post.

Especially if I had time to make fun of it. :shrug:

IMO, a person's name is not trivial at all...

usethis2

Medalist
Christ.

Edit: In any case, Blades of Passion is in good company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDkzmZJ3qE

Edit 2: Out of abundant caution after learning the delicate sensitivity of this forum, let me be clear that I am not saying a person's name is a trivial matter. But getting an unfamiliar name wrong first time is not a big deal, and is definitely not "making fun of the poor girl."

Last edited:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I am going to go watch the videos now. I must say I am surprised and I am sure Lipnitskaya is too to be behind Karen Chen after the SP.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia should be scoring high though. That whole program is designed to earn every point possible: difficult jump entrances and/or air positions, spins, speed, etc. She is a very complete skater and, to me, doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

I thought she looked slow especially compared to some of the other girls. And i see her as another Julia when her body changes those jumps won't last.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Christ.

Edit: In any case, Blades of Passion is in good company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDkzmZJ3qE

You consider that "good"?

Edit 2: Out of abundant caution after learning the delicate sensitivity of this forum, let me be clear that I do not think a person's name is not a trivial matter. But getting an unfamiliar name wrong first time is not a big deal, and is definitely not "making fun of the poor girl."

I'm pretty sure for anyone who visits this forum on a semi-regular basis and watches figure skating fairly regularly, it is not their 'first time' hearing of Evgenia. If so, I guess they don't follow figure skating all that closely? (That's fine, casual fans are great too.)

Remember, Google is your friend, if there's the slightest bit of confusion.

lutzlover

On the Ice
Saw Satoko's SP in person today...it was my first time seeing it and I was completely blown away. I love the spins, choreography, expression...how she hits each nuance of the music. To me, she finally looked like a true Senior lady. I would've had her ahead of Evgenia...but I believe Evgenia was overscored

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Karen was underscored. Her PCS is toooo low. Gezzz!

They'll come up when her international results become more consistent. She didn't qualify for the JGPF last year, did mediocre at Jr Worlds and only finished 4th at the US Classic. Contrast that with Evgenia, who won everything in the last 12 months except Russian nationals.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My quick thoughts:

Medvedeva: That score seems really high to me, particulary in her PCS. 31+ is too high. I'd have had her around 28+ for her PCS, which is still excellent for a debuting junior. With her scoring 70+ her first time out, she'll be in the mid to high 70s by the time we get to worlds...it was too much. I expected her to score around 67 or even 68. 70...I just can't agree with that. I think Evgenia is a lovely skater and deserved a high score, but that was just too high.

It would have been around 69 had she not backloaded her jumps (she got around 1.8 in bonus alone). She scored 68+ for her SP at Jr Worlds (a world record for that competition) so 70 doesn't seem too far out of line. She did not get a single -GOE judge score on any element. Her PCS was mostly mid-7's to low 8's, which also seems ok to me given that she was so dominant last season on the junior circuit.

Last edited: