Paris Shootings and Explosions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Paris Shootings and Explosions

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Was in Paris weeks ago, and I was nervous at one point. There are a few shady characters boarding the train and they had duffle bags and looking quite "terroristy" It's a shame because I've always loved Paris, but every time I go back, I never feel 100% safe anymore.

Um...what is this supposed to mean? I hope you don't mean you saw some Middle Eastern looking people.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Well, I have a complete different opinion about this. I am French and I actually think that TEB should continue for several reasons. First, I wouldn't like the terrorists to think one second they managed to create a chaos in the whole country. Second, the athletes who prepared this major international event for months deserve to compete til the end. Third, France will organize the European Football Championship in June hence the country must be prepared in case of such horror. Life must go on everywhere in France hence TEB must go on, this is our best answer to those terrorists.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Saw on Twitter that taxis are taking people home free of charge. Lots of places offering shelter for people stranded too.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
This is terrible. Who is doing this attacks?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Would it be possible to award final placements based on the results of the completed short program, and cancel the free skate?

Public safety is paramount, of course -- the safety of the skaters as well as everyone else involved in the event + the safety of spectators.

That said, if the free skates and FD are canceled in the interest of safety (and I do believe safety is paramount), then what the ISU would do with the SP and SD scores/results will be a very tricky question, IMO.
Because TEB is part of the GP series, and TEB results contribute to determination of who qualifies for the GPF, it would be very tricky to be as fair as possible both to the TEB competitors and non-TEB competitors.
Another question would be what would be fair in terms of awarding points from TEB SPs and SD for ISU World Standings and ISU Season's World Rankings.

But again, the safety issue is far more important than sorting out any complications related to ISU results.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Um...what is this supposed to mean? I hope you don't mean you saw some Middle Eastern looking people.

Don't take offense Lilahozi. I remember what it was like in the here in US after 9/11. No one would board a plane without looking over their shoulder at anyone who wasn't white as snow or jet black. That included everyone who was Hispanic or people like my half sister who is half black and half white. People are reacting out of fear and worry and may say things that don't make sense. Please go easy on them. :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Does the ISU have provisions in place for an event that is disrupted for whatever reason? Has anything similar ever happened before?

If the competition was in Paris, canceling it would seem like a given, but this is a little trickier. These things have unfortunately become a fact of life...mass shootings in the US as well. I am sure everyone there is a bit shaken up, but life must go on. I don't suppose they could delay the free skates until Sunday and cancel the gala?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Well, I have a complete different opinion about this. I am French and I actually think that TEB should continue for several reasons. First, I wouldn't like the terrorists to think one second they managed to create a chaos in the whole country. Second, the athletes who prepared this major international event for months deserve to compete til the end. Third, France will organize the European Football Championship in June hence the country must be prepared in case of such horror. Life must go on everywhere in France hence TEB must go on, this is our best answer to those terrorists.

Safety > pride

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

I think it is likely it will happen for that reason. They will have to have even more stringent security if it goes ahead though.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Every time I forget for about five minutes how effed up this world really is, another bunch of psychopaths comes around to remind me of just that. .....this is so sick. And I absolutely hate how commentators say that it was "foreseeable" that France would once again be targeted by attacks like that. I need to move to some other planet where it's not effing normal that we wait for something like this to happen every day!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Does the ISU have provisions in place for an event that is disrupted for whatever reason? Has anything similar ever happened before?

If the competition was in Paris, canceling it would seem like a given, but this is a little trickier. These things have unfortunately become a fact of life...mass shootings in the US as well. I am sure everyone there is a bit shaken up, but life must go on. I don't suppose they could delay the free skates until Sunday and cancel the gala?

I did wonder if that might be possible too.

euroskate

Final Flight
Tv just Report that the main target was the soccer stadium where france was playing against germany. Security was good enough that terrorists did not make it into the stadium so they blew up in the streets before. Players are still kept inside because they dont know if there are still Bombs out there

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

This is way more serious than the mass shootings that have happened in the US. We don't even know yet just how many people have died or been injured.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This is terrible. Who are doing this attack?

Some witnesses report hearing gunmen shouting allah is great. Reported on the bbc... although nothing has been confirmed yet. Seems alot of reports on social media

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Well the World Championships were canceled all together the year the plane carrying Team USA crashed. That is the first that pops to mind for something like this. But that was a very different time and this is a very different competition.

I think delaying to Sunday might be a reasonable compromise. Most people would still be around and able to participate, it gives people time to rest and keep things as sane as possible.

but as alain06fr said - life must go on. I don't think canceling it is the right thing to do.

EDIT: Sabena Flight 548 if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Some witnesses report hearing gunmen shouting allah is great. Reported on the bbc... although nothing has been confirmed yet. Seems alot of reports on social media
German media reported that one of them allegedly yelled "this is for Syria"

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
We do have to remember that advice will probably be provided by the Governmental authorities as to the level of threat and the best course of action for public events. Whatever decision is made will very much depend on intelligence.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Paris has not been in curfew since 1944