Patrick Chan | Page 191 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
In fact, this is a piece that reminds me so much of the current Patrick. He isn't that young, brash, happy feet Patrick, but soulful and pensive, and at times, he skated with an expansiveness that felt completely free, a soaring joy, skybound, at ease with oneself...

With his comeback, I get a sense that Patrick has matured further, but Mack is Back is too literal, not BIG and EXPANSIVE like "Feeling Good" and Patrick is mentally at another level.

And others have said that this season, there's a vulnerability when Patrick skates his FS that wasn't there before. This is very interesting to me because today I was rewatching PJ Kwong's interview with Patrick right after his GPF FS. Patrick said that competition for him was "extremely uncomfortable, especially for me, I think for my personality..."

I wondered which part of his personality was he was talking about? Is there a quiet, perhaps shyer, more introspective side of him that's coming out now? He had said that at Skate Canada after his FS he felt like the "real him" was genuinely happy to be there (I remember someone on here saying that they had never seen him react that way after a skate). There, he seemed very humbled and touched by his victory. Patrick has also said that if he was going to come back, he wanted to do it on his own terms. So the overall message that comes across to me is that he wants to be his genuine self when he skates, and not put on an act to please others. For this reason at times I'm not even sure that his SP music really fits who he is as a person and a skater.

Of course, I could be totally wrong. Maybe he's just a hyper-competitive person, and the return to competition and the very steep learning curve he faces now is a blow to his self-assurance. Maybe that's why lately he feels so uneasy before every competition. I would love to hear any other thoughts on this.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I don’t write so much here I know. I don’t have time to do that and most of all my English is everything but perfect! :( But I want to tell you that reading your posts is like feeling at home! Patrick is not so appreciated in my country and I can’t understand why… his skating in something unbelievable… really unbelievable. It’s a privilege for figure skating world to have someone like him. And it has been a privilege for me being there in Barcelona to see his performances and practice sessions. I’ve never suffered so much during a competition, really. :cry: I almost couldn’t sleep at night. Watching his practice was so painful… I’ve never seen Patrick so sad, so frustrated.. It looked like he wanted to give up. :sad4: I don’t know where I found the power, the strength to skate that superb free program. But he is a champion. I think is hard for him to deal this situation: this is his coming back season and the level in male figure skating is so high. He needs to take time, no hurry. His plan is a long term one. But when you are a champion and you won so much in your career is hard to not be on the podium, to not be there to fight with the top skaters. Very hard. I had the opportunity to talk to him at the hotel after the free program. I told him what I think about his skating, how amazing he is on ice and that I’m so grateful for his coming back and that we need someone like him. He was relaxed in the end of the day, after a so difficult week. I really hope he can find self confidence again and I most of all I wish him to be happy, whatever happens.
What a beautiful post! I think your English is perfect! Regarding the highlighted portion, from the very beginning of the season I have felt the same way. I think of Patrick's comeback as a marathon, not a sprint. For me Skate Canada was all about the exquisite Chopin fs. The win and gold medal was immaterial.

I know Violet Bliss goes into detail and I agree with all her observations (stay the course and work on technical advancement and mental toughness).

Sometimes we get caught up in wanting instant gratification when it isn't realistic or even necessary.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Listen for yourself Nina Simone's "Feeling Good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHs98TEYecM

Anyway, it's just a wish...sure Patrick has his own trajectory mapped out, but why not as a gala piece? I'd die if someone else with lesser talent skates to this first.:sad21:
Imo it isn't practical to scrap "Mack the Knife". Patrick takes great care in all his programs and the time for him to do another program can be better spent elsewhere (working on another quad).

Regarding Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" I think the message in the lyrics is very powerful and it's very soulful. It would be a good choice except for one thing - I don't like male skaters using female singers (and vice versa). In fact, I think it is rarely done. When I was on YT I noticed Simone's "Sinnerman" which Nam used last year for his sp. That worked I think because that is more androgynous (for a lack of a better word).

Brcause I liked "Feeling Good" I searched for a male version. Michael Buble does one - used by Luba and Dylan for their sp last year but I don't think that would work for Patrick. It lacks the depth of Simone's.

I was deeply surprised by the choice of Mack the Knife. I met Patrick this spring and I asked him specifically about his choice of a sp. I was under the impression from what he said to me that he was going to use "Stepping Out", his exhibition from 2014. He either changed him mind or I misunderstood him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What a beautiful post! I think your English is perfect! Regarding the highlighted portion, from the very beginning of the season I have felt the same way. I think of Patrick's comeback as a marathon, not a sprint. For me Skate Canada was all about the exquisite Chopin fs. The win and gold medal was immaterial.

I know Violet Bliss goes into detail and I agree with all her observations (stay the course and work on technical advancement and mental toughness).

Sometimes we get caught up in wanting instant gratification when it isn't realistic or even necessary.
oh oh… is violet bliss a she or a he ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Imo it isn't practical to scrap "Mack the Knife". Patrick takes great care in all his programs and the time for him to do another program can be better spent elsewhere (working on another quad).

Regarding Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" I think the message in the lyrics is very powerful and it's very soulful. It would be a good choice except for one thing - I don't like male skaters using female singers (and vice versa). In fact, I think it is rarely done. When I was on YT I noticed Simone's "Sinnerman" which Nam used last year for his sp. That worked I think because that is more androgynous (for a lack of a better word).

Brcause I liked "Feeling Good" I searched for a male version. Michael Buble does one - used by Luba and Dylan for their sp last year but I don't think that would work for Patrick. It lacks the depth of Simone's.

I was deeply surprised by the choice of Mack the Knife. I met Patrick this spring and I asked him specifically about his choice of a sp. I was under the impression from what he said to me that he was going to use "Stepping Out", his exhibition from 2014. He either changed him mind or I misunderstood him.

:love:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LOL, 4everchan. And yet Patrick seems to lament that Yuzu, Javier and the rest of them are tinier than him. Somebody needs to tell him to stop comparing!

Glad you enjoyed it! I love watching Patrick's performances from different camera angles and perspectives. It would be nice if we could get a view from the ice up, and also from the ceiling down! :)

Awesome that you sent something electronically, Undolaure! I have no idea how to send Patrick snail mail. Maybe the only way to send him something physical is to be at the rink and throw.. I mean, give it to him (or Kathy)? :laugh:

maybe for skating he feels he could be more svelte… but whatever ;) his body shape is :love: nam is the tallest and skinniest of them all :)

qwertyskates

Medalist
Thank you, Violet Bliss, vivley and blueberryhill for the thoughtful replies.

Violet Bliss, I agree completely that the mind game is crucial, especially at the competitive level. i would like to try these mind adjustment music/programs myself, I need them!:laugh: Does Patrick do any such meditative practices? I feel that for all his bravado, Patrick doesn't have the killer instinct in him, he just isn't that type of person, he loves skating, he loves doing it for the audience, he no doubt loves to win but he isn't driven to knock someone off like in a boxing match, to deliver that KO, it isn't Patrick. He is trying to be that because of so much taunting going on in the sport, especially from supporters and fans of other skaters.

However, I think he will win if he works towards the goal of bettering himself, and advancing the sport. Exhilarating music, like you said, might inspire him. He is the true poet on ice, feeling everything in the music, from his blades to his finger tips. This is why I wish he will take on the most exhilarating music out there too, and bring it and spread the good feeling to all of us.

vivley, bravo, you're very observant:agree:. Secretly, i wonder if Don Laws' passing last December at about this time has something to do with his new pensiveness?

I too perceive a change in Patrick, he is coming to terms with himself, with what he is. I actually feel that he is finally turning into a real man. Like in the Rudyard Kipling poem "If"

http://41.media.tumblr.com/6cf883436c789b182f88d1d1c387e322/tumblr_mv6l8kjsDg1sjt9puo1_1280.jpg

Patrick needs to transcend it all, and skate a transcending skate, to of course better himself, without the "noise" around him. Maria B was 26-27 when she won Worlds in 1999, and she showed what it is like to skate like a woman. Patrick skates like a man, and he will show us what his journey means.

He struggled with the SP, and your observations are spot on - it's not easy to hit his first big jump so early, and the music, though fun and jazzy, reminds me so much of an old McDonald's ad...:noshake:

blueberryhill, Nina Simone's voice is timeless, like a female Louis Armstrong. So strong, so soulful - it is actually richer, more impactful and powerful than Michael Buble's. Her voice makes you pay attention, and she makes you feel every word of the song. The accompanying music is big, but her voice is so huge, it alone carries the song.

Whenever I need a pick me up, this is the song I turn to. I first heard it as a Muse cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmwRQqJsegw

Then I discovered Nina Simone's version. It is like Muse's version x1000000..., even though her arrangements were so much simpler. It's *that* voice, powerful, perfect tenor but full-bodied and honeyed at the same time. The way she ends on a crescendo feels like a Level 4 spin to me!:love:

I went to listen to Buble's version too, but it sounds weaker, it's kind of an ordinary voice.

I think not many skaters can do the song justice, hope they don't attempt it. Only Patrick's complete presence on ice can manifest this pure expression of life's greatness. If not a program then a Gala, would make us all feel so good!:hap57:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wow. There are so many thoughtful posts here. Thanks for sharing. I'm so impressed that Patrick's fans here are into observations rather than judgments.

My thoughts and responses:

1. Body - Patrick has a very good build for skating and he has been utilizing it extremely well. I'm all for Patrick to be optimally healthy and lean, to enhance both fast rotations and beautiful body lines for this esthetic sport. I don't think he is lamenting his body shape or weight but has made the same observation about the slim jumpers as we have but he is not aiming to be like them but at his own optimal weight which he feels is that at Worlds 2011. He skates as a man with the body and the maturity of a man. He has the grace and power that the jumping boys (at any age) can't compare.

Actually achieving his weight goal demonstrates his seriousness about achieving his ultimate goal as well as the discipline it takes. :thumbsup:

2. Costumes - Colour is but one of the considerations for a costume. All Tuly designed costumes were constructed specifically for skating. The POTO jacket and vest were actually one piece so it stayed well fitted, showing off his "figure" and lines without flying and hindering his jumps and spins. All his tops, even blousy ones like the Aranjuez piece, stayed tucked in properly throughout his program and all the movements. I once had a glimpse of back stage Patrick in his Take 5 costume without the vest and it showed the very special construction under that vest that we couldn't see in the full attire. And the details and workmanship that showed in close-up were haute. The bulky MTK sweater that pulls up and gets out of shape is a contrast with the well researched, designed, and constructed classy custom costumes of the last Olympic quadrennial. At the very least, it does not help his jumps and spins. More attention to the costumes, like maintaining the ideal weight, is part of the pursuit of his goal for presentation as well as for placement results.

3. Music - Patrick is obviously very comfortable with and favors classical piano music, which is very difficult for others to interpret but well appreciated by judges as well as connoisseurs of music and dance. It's his forte and advantage that also gives us so much to savor and enjoy. Yet variety and showing versatility is necessary and important so he has been mostly using the SP to showcase other aspects of his personality. With Elegie as the SP he balanced it with the narrative La Boheme but then in the Olympic season, he skated to 4 Seasons while keeping Elegie, both superb programs he could immerse himself in and perform exquisitely. However, there was no balance of classical and light hearted. Then comes Mack The Knife which has so far turned out to be the most problematic and challenging program he has ever had, other than the quad debut related issue with early second season POTO. I hope he will soon have this program in his comfort zone with whatever adjustments it may take.

eta: MTK is difficult and confusing to emotional connect with. The costume seems to reflect the confusion. Yeah, I'd rather he resonates with Feeling Good which is powerful and inspirational.

4. The mindset - I talk often enough about this so I won't expound here but on two points. The first is to re-express the importance of choice of music and the effect it can have on his mental and emotional state. All skaters, especially those with long competitive seasons, know they need music they won't get tired of through a season of practices and performances. A piece he can be comfortable with and relate to but which presents some challenge will help him learn relaxed focus. Of course the choreography is a big part of enabling the right mental state as well as ease in technical execution.

Not to be overlooked are the choices of show music and programs as they offer opportunities competitive programs don't. With more freedom of choice, he could use them to lighten, to motivate, and to practice both technical elements within a program and performing to the audience. Lori used to incorporate 3 Loops in his show numbers for him to practice, not to mention comic relief showing the happy goofy side of his nature. Inspiring music like Feeling Good as proposed by qwertyskates can definitely be a great mental tool.

About enhancing mental strength, Patrick does not believe in sport psychologists. He leans on his father, his coach, his experiences, special mentors as well as inspiring quotes and achievements of ultra successful athletes to model. I admire his natural winning mindset and the constant quest to learn, progress, and acquire mental lessons and tools. I hope he realizes that the mind is a great tool that can be programmed systematically and takes advantage of the knowledge, mental practices and even technologies available these days.

Oh, qwertyskates, I love If by Kipling. I remember quoting it in the GS at another time of turmoil for or about Patrick. We all need to be reminded of great inspirations. Thanks.

Last edited:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I too perceive a change in Patrick, he is coming to terms with himself, with what he is. I actually feel that he is finally turning into a real man. Like in the Rudyard Kipling poem "If"

http://41.media.tumblr.com/6cf883436c789b182f88d1d1c387e322/tumblr_mv6l8kjsDg1sjt9puo1_1280.jpg
OMG, I've always hoped for Patrick to read this for inspiration. First you and then Violet Bliss. I guess great minds thinks alike!

These two lines from "If" are inscribed above the entranceway to centre court at Wimbledon.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two impostors just the same; 
http://aquila.stjohnscollege.co.za/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Wimbledon.jpg

There is a picture of Roger Federer (his idol!) on Patrick's Twitter page
https://www.instagram.com/p/rdyLLYx1zJ/
If Patrick knew that Federer walked under these words on his journey to greatness it might inspire him too! But in truth, it seems like the whole poem was written with Patrick in mind.

Since we are talking about Patrick's music choice wish list here's mine - for an exhibition.
I was reacquainted with this song when I saw the premier episode of Stephan Colbert's "The Late Show". I was unable to find that version but here is the original:
It's "Everyday People" by Sly and The Family Stone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUUhDoCx8zc
Here are the lyrics:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/slythefamilystone/everydaypeople.html

This song is about tolerance and how silly it is to hate others. I can just picture Patrick being cheeky, cheesy, dancey and just having a plain good time skating to this. I think these two lines "You love me, you hate me, you know me and then, You can't figure out the bag I'm in" will just send his "admirers" around the bend!!! I'd love to see this in Boston!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Since we are talking about Patrick's music choice wish list here's mine - for an exhibition.
I was reacquainted with this song when I saw the premier episode of Stephan Colbert's "The Late Show". I was unable to find that version but here is the original:
It's "Everyday People" by Sly and The Family Stone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUUhDoCx8zc
Here are the lyrics:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/slythefamilystone/everydaypeople.html

This song is about tolerance and how silly it is to hate others. I can just picture Patrick being cheeky, cheesy, dancey and just having a plain good time skating to this. I think these two lines "You love me, you hate me, you know me and then, You can't figure out the bag I'm in" will just send his "admirers" around the bend!!! I'd love to see this in Boston!

Picturing Patrick in a very colourful costume..........

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
QuertySkates, thank you for your response to my observations - and what a great poem! I also love what you said about Patrick skating like a man and showing us what his journey means. Speaking of his journey, someone posted the NBC commentary on his GPF FS on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2UGN7yu1Y

At 4:25 of the video the commentators discussed Patrick's return, and Tara seemed to imply that he didn't return to competition for the right reasons. She said at 4:57, "but if you're gonna compete, you should love it." Since Patrick doesn't exactly love competing right now (currently it makes him feel extremely uncomfortable), this calls into question his reasons and motives for competing.

Also, Patrick is now being called "old school" vs. the "new school" Jin Boyang? At 5:50 Johnny Weir tells us what we already know, that Patrick needs at least 2 quads plus all the PCS to win. But something about the way he says it irks me. I know he's talking about winning but it comes across as if he's saying that Patrick doesn't deserve to be on the ice if he doesn't increase his jumps to match Hanyu or Fernandez. We've discussed this before, but what if Patrick is not aiming to win competitions this season? Perhaps this kind of judgment is another reason why he's feeling a lot of pressure and not handling it so well?

Unfortunately, whatever his reasons (which I believe to be good ones related to artistry, etc.), I think Patrick couldn't have returned to competition at a worse time. His current goals and objectives seem to be at odds with the direction Yuzuru Hanyu and Jin Boyang are taking the sport. And while the NBC commentators admire Patrick's skating, they also seem to think that unless he keeps up, he'll be left behind in the dust of skating history. This is a very difficult time in Patrick's career, indeed.

So my best wishes for Patrick are that he stands firm and true to himself and his goals. It takes a man of strong character and perseverance to stay the course and not let outside pressures affect him. I will be most interested to see how he deals with "what we demand now in our sport." Stay strong! Stay true, Patrick!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick will never be left in the dust of figure skating history with 3 WC golds, 2 silver olympic medals, and a former world record holder…. coming from Jonnhy, it's quite sad, especially since one of his issues was exactly that he didn't have a quad…. WOW

mawamasha

Rinkside
But what if Patrick's strategy is actually better than his competitors' (in an Olympic perspective)?
Now we've had a couple of stellar competitions but I'm not sure that last year's trend (falls, crashes...) will not start again. Doing a quad is a huge risk for everyone. Plus, doing many quads takes a huge toll on an athlete's hips and knees and - unfortunately - I wouldn't be too surprised to hear of some serious injury soon.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Hmmm...I was listening to the commentary and it wasn't as bad as I'd imagine, Weir actually said Chopin was beautifully choreographed and the LP was "competitive". Tara said Patrick hit all his quads easily during practice, so it isn't as if they wrote him off.

What surprised me was the lack of mention as to why his TES marks for SP were so low - it's because of the stupid rules, not because he didn't deliver a good performance. Without the rules, were his jumps counted, he would have been easily won silver or bronze here.

Another thing to be kept in mind for those sneering at Patrick is that Hanyu changed his jumps layout at the *last* minute, 2 weeks before GPF, and fortunately for him, he was ready. He tested it out at NHK and with his resounding success buoyed by a rousing home crowd, he then brought the game-changer to Barcelona. Even Javier, with his strong jumps, don't have the time to adjust, not to mention Patrick.

Patrick otoh, is back after a year and is at 1 year anniversary of Don Laws' passing. He was severely disrupted and handicapped by Bordeaux/Paris, he never had a chance to try his LP since SC. If their fates were changed, eg Hanyu got affected by Paris, and Patrick skated his SC right before GPF, I believe things could turn out differently for them.

Patrick has packed his program with a lot of complex footwork and moves, it leaves little room for him to attempt quads. Hanyu's program wasn't as demanding between the elements, and he had time to prep himself for his huge jumps. All the spread eagles, ina bauers and hydroblades help skaters not only to highlight the choreography but also allow breathing room to get ready for the next element. Ack, audiences seem to think they are difficult to do, whereas changing directions, momentum, constantly moving one's feet and displacing body weight are in fact more difficult to control, more demanding of energy and taxing on the muscles.

The music Seimei, with its even base and long melody, and Shoma's Turandot were pieces that are much easier to skate to. A great skater can leverage these to the hilt, earning an extra boost of PCS and leave the audience swooning. IMO, opera classics are like the Celine Dion pieces of their day. So many skaters won gold or got on the podium with Turandot!

Winning is a strategic play as much as a talent competition. While Patrick loves to skate a difficult footwork program, will today's audience get it? Will he be disadvantaged by the more difficult and abstract music he picked, especially as vocals are now allowed?

In a way, the commentators were right, Patrick needs to make strategic changes to compete, like what Hanyu did mid-competition. He wanted to beat everyone - even those he could easily and handily beat, eg Jin, he wanted to beat them at their strengths, eg Jin's arsenal of quads.

I don't know how driven Patrick is to beat Hanyu, or if he is returning on his own terms and for himself, either way, I think he should be at peace. Many of his fans don't mind if he doesn't podium, as we are all just psyched to see the skating quality he produces. I think it wasn't the fact that he didn't podium that bothered him as much as the "chattering" and gloating - honestly, the lack of decency and sympathy....thankfully I missed posting on forums during the most vicious cycles of Yuna and Mao rivalry, but I could see that for all the beauty displayed on the ice, there's a lot of ugly sparring behind the scene.

Patrick's bravado and attempts at nonchalance just makes him fodder for his critics. He has to learn to speak in PR language, eg. he needs to learn from others, he admires this or that skater, he needs to better himself, etc. stuff that writers and fans love to hear from a "nice-guy" persona.

However, if Patrick wants to win, he can up his jumps, tweak his programs, bring on the BIG warhorses, learn from his competitors and deliver the emotional high coupled with 100+ TES. It's not beyond his reach.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There is no point to concern with Johnny's view about Patrick. They can't compare, in figure skating's or in life's arena, in achievements or in values and goals. Johnny cannot understand being driven by innate values and desires of the authentic self. Acquiring skills and wisdom is not Johnny's desire or focus. He cannot understand Patrick, and is in no position to judge him.

Sonia Bianchetti's and Tat Tarasova's opinions, OTOH, deserve respect and attention whether or not one agrees with them.

To reprise Ms Bianchetti, who appreciates the magic of Patrick:

Patrick Chan, three-time world champion, placed 6th in the short program and 3rd in free, ending up in 4th position. Skating to a Chopin medley, he performed a flawless and gorgeous free program. Technically, he was outstanding. He opened with a super quad toe loop/triple toe loop combination, followed by seven more triple jumps and jump combinations, plus very well executed and attractive spins. But even more fantastic and breathtaking were both the step sequences, through which Patrick was really reaching the hearts of the spectators, expressing the music in the best possible way. Patrick really flows on the ice on deep edges and transmits his joy of skating. Each movement of his body, hands, and head corresponded to what one would expect on this beat of the music, just as in ballet. He was intense and communicative. Simply magic. Welcome back, Patrick!

I came across IceAlisa's post in FSU Patrick thread transmitting Tat's comment:

She genuinely loves his skating and was rooting for him like crazy! :cheer2: She called him an ornament of figure skating, an artist, someone with the most fantastic control of the blade, and thanked him for landing his stuff. Also stood up for him for messing up the SP, he is not a machine, he is human, etc. So I feel that this comment was made from the heart but also from her tremendous coaching experience.

Tat's comment on the design error of Patrick's SP is very interesting too, concurring with observations voiced on this thread.

Let's keep our heads as Kipling wisely advocated, and know that Patrick has always come through disappointments and challenges to become a greater athlete and a better person.

calica

Final Flight
In the VK of Patrick, they shared the comment of Tarasova

"Это другое поколение. Это люди, у которых нет конца. Потому что их способностям, им нет конца. Их трудолюбию можно только позавидовать. Их влюбленность в то, что они делают.. Она бесконечна..."

I can not translate it because my English and my Russian is bad, but they are very beautiful words.
If any user is russian, I hope to translate it for you