Patrick Chan | Page 207 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you, golden411icecoverage! Yes, just a period makes such a difference!

I never used twitter, in fact, I do not know how is used (I always have to ask someone else if I am sending it correctly ect :laugh:)
But I'm sending a tweet to encourage patrick everyday, although he never read them :agree:

People like to read their notifications to see who mentioned them in tweets, so Patrick may very well see your message, even if he can't respond to it. You never know! ;)

Thanks for this! It shows just what an all-round athlete Patrick is. He doesn't just do well skating, he is very good at other types of body movement, too, and that's what makes him so strong!

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Haha, did you see what Patrick said?

"I still have some of my weapons. I still have stuff to show that I haven't showed yet, so there's stuff to look forward to."

He used the word "weapons"! :rofl: The reason why this makes me laugh is because I've been thinking that Patrick ought to guest star in a martial arts movie someday. Now imagine this scenario:

A spectacular sword fight over a misty, frozen lake between the guardian of the lake, Sir Patrick, and a minor villain. After many turns and leaps in the air (Patrick won't need wires to accomplish this), the villain is vanquished. Major Villain becomes enraged that his toadie was defeated, and he descends upon the peaceful little lake. He aims to lure Patrick away from the lake, because everyone (locals included) knows that Patrick can only fight on ice, right? ;)

But Major Villain is in for a big surprise when Patrick proves to be just as nimble and agile on land as he is on ice. He gives the Major Villain a good run for his money, of course.

Alas, because he is just a guest star, Sir Patrick will be nobly vanquished or sacrifice himself for the greater cause. (Unless this movie is a comedy, in which case his chances of surviving until the end are much greater.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of Patrick's "weapons"! :agree:

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
People like to read their notifications to see who mentioned them in tweets, so Patrick may very well see your message, even if he can't respond to it. You never know! ;)

Well, i hope that not... My english no is good and I had used fun gift and they are not very supportive.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Well, i hope that not... My english no is good and I had used fun gift and they are not very supportive.

No worries. Patrick is multilingual and I'm sure he understands what it's like to struggle with a language you don't know very well (e.g., he doesn't give interviews in Chinese). Your heart and your good wishes will come through your message.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
That Instagram video is pretty awesome! I'm glad Patrick gave us a look into his fun off-ice training. It seems like he really enjoyed doing it too! I like the article as well. The showdown between Nam and Patrick will hopefully be very exciting. If both of them skate their best at Nationals, what a treat that will be.

Haha, did you see what Patrick said?

He used the word "weapons"! :rofl: The reason why this makes me laugh is because I've been thinking that Patrick ought to guest star in a martial arts movie someday. Now imagine this scenario:

A spectacular sword fight over a misty, frozen lake between the guardian of the lake, Sir Patrick, and a minor villain. After many turns and leaps in the air (Patrick won't need wires to accomplish this), the villain is vanquished. Major Villain becomes enraged that his toadie was defeated, and he descends upon the peaceful little lake. He aims to lure Patrick away from the lake, because everyone (locals included) knows that Patrick can only fight on ice, right? ;)

But Major Villain is in for a big surprise when Patrick proves to be just as nimble and agile on land as he is on ice. He gives the Major Villain a good run for his money, of course.

Alas, because he is just a guest star, Sir Patrick will be nobly vanquished or sacrifice himself for the greater cause. (Unless this movie is a comedy, in which case his chances of surviving until the end are much greater.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of Patrick's "weapons"! :agree:
I loved reading your plot for a martial arts movie! :) I would vote for a comedy because I want Patrick to survive for a long time, if not for the whole movie. Plus, I think he would have a great time doing comedic stuff, as indicated by his New Year's greeting to us this year! ;) I can't wait to see all of Patrick's weapons either!!! :yay:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Haha, Skatingfan4ever, glad you liked the plot! Yeah, a comedy would show off his show skating skills. But on the other hand, I can see him being the master of the lake, too. I can picture him doing some of his LP elements during the fight...

----------------------------------ANNOUNCEMENT TO EVERYONE:---------------------------------

PJ Kwong was kind enough to allow us to send her questions to our favorite skaters in Halifax! See this Facebook page for details.

If you submit your question(s) to her via Twitter, please make sure to include the hashtag ‪#‎cbcskate‬ in your tweet. Your question and skater answer may even end up on the @cbcsports Instagram page!

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
Below is part of a fan's comment in a newspaper:
"The only way for Chan to win is he has to perform at least 2 quad toeloops and 1 quad salchow. Hanyu, Fernandez, and Nguyen all have these in their programs right now. Patrick cannot wait for next year to add his quad salchow."
Do I understand that Nguyen has 3 quads in his long program too?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he used to have two different quads but I think he wasn't repeating them.... but right now, Nam isn't doing the 4S anymore
"The only way for Chan to win is he has to perform at least 2 quad toeloops and 1 quad salchow. Hanyu, Fernandez, and Nguyen all have these in their programs right now. Patrick cannot wait for next year to add his quad salchow."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

It's good that Patrick doesn't need to do reactional panic since he has others do it for him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
might as well talk about reynolds then ... i love both nam and kevin... but they are not close to chan's skating right now.... kevin was injured for a long time and nam is still developing... let's hope everyone skates well this weekend!!!!
It's good that Patrick doesn't need to do reactional panic since he has others do it for him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
might as well talk about reynolds then ... i love both nam and kevin... but they are not close to chan's skating right now.... kevin was injured for a long time and nam is still developing... let's hope everyone skates well this weekend!!!!

Patrick is in his own league at the Nationals. But there is pressure to test his new LP content and to have a good performance of his SP in front of the supportive home crowds at this last competition before Worlds.

Go Patrick! Believe!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
:rofl:

Patrick is in his own league at the Nationals. But there is pressure to test his new LP content and to have a good performance of his SP in front of the supportive home crowds at this last competition before Worlds.

Go Patrick! Believe!
:2thumbs:

MIM

Medalist
Here's Patrick's LP practice session today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcI9qqVrBQ

Thanks to Keiko12311 for posting this!

First of all, I am relieved by the fact that his knee is okay to practice the LP... :thumbsup:

Looking at the practice clip, I was able to see how he grasped the program phrase by phrase; he left out most of the spins and super decorative stsq, but he showed the in and out of the jumps, which were effortless transitions (some were spins, some was footworks...) He seems to keep the contents and interpretation together even during the practice. Very reassuring. I am excited!!!

And thank you and Keiko for posting the clip!;)

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Media tidbits from Twitter:

Steve Buffery, Sports columnist at the Toronto Sun:

@Pchiddy said his return to competitive skating has been so tough at times this season he almost packed it in. (Link)

Rob Brody, Editor with Postmedia Network on national sports desk:

@pchiddy says it's highly unlikely he'll add quad Salchow to his free program this season. "It's just not smart." (Link)

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
Thanks so much vivley for all the info you provided. Is there any report about his sp practice?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks so much vivley for all the info you provided. Is there any report about his sp practice?

Here's what he said after the practice, which surprised the journalists gathered there. Wow, so much frustration...

He said frustrations have boiled over at times before and since, with his coach Kathy Johnson usually on the receiving end of his angst.

“I tell everyone that coming back is not an easy feat. Kathy and I have spent many, many, many hours ripping each other’s hair out and just yelling. Not mad at each other necessarily, but mad at the situation and mad at ourselves. It’s been a roller-coaster ride for sure.

“There’s been times where we get into really heated conversations and I’m like, ‘Wow, I’ve never been this mad ever in my life.’ I’m telling you, competing is scary. I’ll be honest, I’m not going to sugar-coat it by saying,’ It’s great, it’s a lot of fun, it’s all happy.’ No, it’s definitely a lot of work and concentration and planning. As much as I don’t want to talk about strategizing and planning ahead toward the world championships, my schedule has to be made in advance. Those things are not fun. But I can’t just be winging it, I’ve got to be responsible and really want it.”

“I’ve been having (issues with) my knee, my ankle, just little things,” he said, his voice cracking slightly. “My body just doesn’t feel great all the time when I’m practising. So that also adds to the, ‘God why do I want to be here? I just want to go home and rest.’ ”

“I have to move on from competing at some point. It’s whether I want to do it now or do I want to do it in two years,” he said. “But I think there’s little reminders, like today in practice and, I’m sure, tomorrow competing, I’m going to have moments when I’m like, ‘Wow, I love this. I love this feeling of being on the ice and landing a quad and really feeling great skating, and being healthy.’ ”

Chan admitted he’s probably been too hard on himself and has to understand that any athlete returning to competition after a year off would have a tough time. In that light, he’s decided not to do a quad salchow jump this year, but is nevertheless confident that with good and long programs at the worlds, he can reach the 320-point level in Boston and challenge for his fourth world title.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that Kathy bears the brunt of his frustrations. He truly needs to let go of any expectations he has of his skating and just shut off his brain when he does it.

Oh, and notice the caption to the image in the article:

"Patrick Chan laughs with his coaches during a practice session at the Canadian Figure Skating Championships in Halifax on Thursday, January 21, 2016. "

So he has more than one coach!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks viv for sharing... this is a very good practice i'd say. he fought a bit but the second quad was stellar!!!!! GO PCHIDDY!!!! BELIEVE!