Patrick Chan | Page 208 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Thanks so much vivley for all the info you provided. Is there any report about his sp practice?
From my very limited experience at the Nationals practices, the competitors are allowed the option of either having their sp or lp music played. There sometimes is a second practice but that occurs very late in the evening and sometimes in a secondary rink.

thanks viv for sharing... this is a very good practice i'd say. he fought a bit but the second quad was stellar!!!!! GO PCHIDDY!!!! BELIEVE!
The key word is that he fought. We don't want him leaving his best on practice ice now, do we? ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think he will be better at nationals :) 3 landings were off... i predict only one will be...

what i liked the best is that the first 4t wasn't great but then the second was awesome

the first 3a was not great either... and the 2nd wasn't so great but he managed to tag the 2T after it so that was a great thing to see!!!

Patrick!!!! :) we love you!!!!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's Patrick's LP practice session today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbcI9qqVrBQ

Thanks to Keiko12311 for posting this!
His jumps are looking quite secure this season! And the layout is just as VB predicted, with the 3A replacing the 3Lz. Now if he can somehow get the same jump security in MTK...

First of all, I am relieved by the fact that his knee is okay to practice the LP... :thumbsup:

Looking at the practice clip, I was able to see how he grasped the program phrase by phrase; he left out most of the spins and super decorative stsq, but he showed the in and out of the jumps, which were effortless transitions (some were spins, some was footworks...) He seems to keep the contents and interpretation together even during the practice. Very reassuring. I am excited!!!

And thank you and Keiko for posting the clip!;)
You are so right!!! He did most of the program, with the interpretation intact, and the transitions were all glorious. He seemed to be taking the practice very seriously. I always love watching his programs and all the transitions, but there is an extra sense of calm about this program that is simply mesmerizing! He's doing so much stuff but it doesn't look frantic. If this is what's in store for us on competition day, we're in for yet another sublime experience (hopefully with a 4T and a clean 3A+2T included).

Here's what he said after the practice, which surprised the journalists gathered there. Wow, so much frustration...

Frankly, I'm not surprised that Kathy bears the brunt of his frustrations. He truly needs to let go of any expectations he has of his skating and just shut off his brain when he does it.
Thanks for bringing over the link and excerpt. He surprised the journalists with his comments, but his comments didn't surprise me at all. Patrick is one of the most open and honest skaters in the history of figure skating. While it hurts my heart that he is feeling so frustrated, it's part of his journey and at least he has acknowledged his feelings and is continually working through them. Like he said, he doesn't want to sugarcoat things. He has shared some very personal things with us this season. His interviews are always "very Patrick."

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports

on this page you can find a video of patrick in interview in french

a few things he says

He is adding the jumps right now as he wants to prepare not only for worlds but for 4CC !!! So that answers some questions about whether or not he would want to go there...

He is being asked about Nam... he answers : Nam has a great future ahead of him. He is only 17. At 25, I am on the end of my career. But with age, ones has experience, responsibility and perspective which he says are advantages... and that Nam motivates him.

Is the year of rest profitable or is it hard ?

He says he is more mature now. He also learned that skating is not everything in life. If he doesn't win, his life is not over. He has a future, friends and other career plans in the future... and if he doesn't want to come back next year, he can quit ... but he still has fire within to keep training. He is still hoping to improve and progress at each competition.

About the knee : he is older so he has to train well... not in quantity but in quality... He trains more efficiently and it gave him more success this year.

He is still thinking about the O games but it's a long journey.... and he has post skating plans... but it's a secret... but he will be back in Canada and wants to help kids with skating in Canada... and he wants to share his knowledge in Canada to bring Canada at the top of the skating world ;)

LALALA hope you enjoyed watching him :)

luckiest1

Rinkside
Hello from Halifax!

Patrick had two practice sessions today, one at the secondary rink early this morning (which I wasn't able to attend) and then the one that you saw a part of, from the main rink. The guys could choose to skate either their short or long program, and most chose to skate their longs. After his program run through, Patrick worked on his triple axels for a while (he rotated and landed all of them, he was just working on the landings, trying to get them cleaner). He also worked on quads and then started doing some of the choreography from his short program (without his music playing, obviously). I'd say he had fairly good practice but he was frustrated that all the landings weren't clean. The second "coach" was in fact choreographer David Wilson, who stood at the boards with Kathy.

I had a nice day today, watching all the practices, then my group went over to Dartmouth for dinner and took the ferry back to Halifax afterwards. I'm looking forward to the competitions tomorrow!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!! i am so jealous ;)
Hello from Halifax!

Patrick had two practice sessions today, one at the secondary rink early this morning (which I wasn't able to attend) and then the one that you saw a part of, from the main rink. The guys could choose to skate either their short or long program, and most chose to skate their longs. After his program run through, Patrick worked on his triple axels for a while (he rotated and landed all of them, he was just working on the landings, trying to get them cleaner). He also worked on quads and then started doing some of the choreography from his short program (without his music playing, obviously). I'd say he had fairly good practice but he was frustrated that all the landings weren't clean. The second "coach" was in fact choreographer David Wilson, who stood at the boards with Kathy.

I had a nice day today, watching all the practices, then my group went over to Dartmouth for dinner and took the ferry back to Halifax afterwards. I'm looking forward to the competitions tomorrow!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick did not make the second quad a combo after the first solo. He is counting on landing the quad combo at the beginning of the program at the competition. The LP has been stellar and I'm confident he will do well with the added 4T and 3A. I trust the SP should be fine by now too, with no downgrading and Zayaking.

Patrick is painfuly open about his comeback frustrations and experiences. He is not the brash young upstart entering the Senior rank but a repeat World Champion with great expectations and pressure on him to be on top after more than a year off, at a time of unprecedented great leap forward in terms of jumps in Mens figure skating. If only it's as easy as commenting online urging him to add a new quad! His concerns for his body being older and harder to train concerns me. Of course he needs to be careful and train smartly but it does not serve him to think his body is aging.

Believe, Patrick! Choose your belief and do it for yourself.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Sorry, m0001, I went back and re-read your question and then realized you were asking about the SP! :eek:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports

on this page you can find a video of patrick in interview in french

Here's the exact link to the video interview: http://ici.radio-canada.ca/breve/42627/patrick-chan-testera-son-programme-long-ameliore-s

The interviewer, François Le Blanc was kind enough to follow me on Twitter. :)

He is adding the jumps right now as he wants to prepare not only for worlds but for 4CC !!! So that answers some questions about whether or not he would want to go there...

Yay! That means he will be going next month to Taipei (info link)! That's like my second hometown, so I wish I could be there to support him. I hope he gets a lot of press there!

He also learned that skating is not everything in life. If he doesn't win, his life is not over.

Hmmm... Easy for him to say perhaps mentally, yet his emotional reactions don't quite reflect that attitude yet.

Hello from Halifax!

Patrick had two practice sessions today, one at the secondary rink early this morning (which I wasn't able to attend) and then the one that you saw a part of, from the main rink.

The second "coach" was in fact choreographer David Wilson, who stood at the boards with Kathy.

Thank you so much for the report! And I eagerly look forward to "seeing" the competition through your eyes!

Speaking of David Wilson, look at this image of his badge - his title was "Coach" and "Foreign Coach". It was a surprise to him, lol.

Patrick is painfuly open about his comeback frustrations and experiences.
Yes, painfully is the word. While I appreciate his openness, sometimes I think he can be too open.

He is not the brash young upstart entering the Senior rank but a repeat World Champion with great expectations and pressure on him to be on top after more than a year off, at a time of unprecedented great leap forward in terms of jumps in Mens figure skating. If only it's as easy as commenting online urging him to add a new quad! His concerns for his body being older and harder to train concerns me. Of course he needs to be careful and train smartly but it does not serve him to think his body is aging.

It is indeed an unprecedented time in Mens' figure skating, which is why I said before that Patrick chose to come back at a very difficult time; a time when his artistic skating goals totally clash with current developments.

Somebody posted this image and quote just two days before Patrick announced that he was upping his technical difficulty. It still makes sense to me. He needs to stick to his plan to add difficulty slowly, and not fall into the temptation to rush his training.

“The men’s event in the last competitions has been spectacular, but I wonder if it’s sustainable. Maybe Patrick Chan’s choice not to upgrade will prove to be more strategic for the Olympics”

As far as the aging and frustration go, here's another image quote:

“I fear Patrick and Mao may become demotivated by the results they have achieved this season and retire for good. They are truly wonderful skaters and I hope the stay around for a tad longer.”

Believe, Patrick! Choose your belief and do it for yourself.

Yes! Everyone, please continue to send Patrick encouraging messages via social media. And I will try to make a virtual balloon bouquet of some kind to send him as well!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hello from Halifax!

Thanks so much for posting...I hope you don't mind if I copy your comment here to the Onsite report thread Canadian Nationals?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here's a better article with more details about what Patrick said: http://reportca.net/2016/01/canadia...pionships-abuzz-about-return-of-patrick-chan/

1) He still has a lot of fans who greeted him in Halifax.

2) They spelled his coach's last name wrong in the article.

3) As I suspected, the competitive desire to be at the top outweighs the desire to become a more versatile skater or to bring balance to the sport. Patrick, don't turn into Darth Vader... :dev2:

He’s trying to take a patient approach, but it’s not easy.

"That’s why when I’m ripping my hair out and Kathy’s like ‘It’s only been less than six months, remember that.’ But it’s so hard when you’re in it and you’re against guys like Javi (Spain’s Javier Fernandez) and Yuzu, you’re like ‘God, I need to be there at their level. I need to be right behind them.’ So when I’m not, it’s extremely frustrating.

"We’re just competitive, we’re so competitive and hungry to be at the very top that rational thoughts do not exist."

luckiest1

Rinkside
Sure Interspectator, you can quote my post elsewhere. It's hard to read all of those articles about Patrick wanting to quit, but he's always been 100% open and honest in press interviews (to his detriment at times) so I'm not going to get too concerned. He wouldn't be here if he didn't want to be!

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Patrick is amazing skater! I really hope he will learn new quad. He has incredible skating skills. Much better than Fernandez and Hanyu.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome to the fest, Sepsseto!

Patrick is amazing skater! I really hope he will learn new quad. He has incredible skating skills. Much better than Fernandez and Hanyu.

Agreed.

As usual, there are similar reports from the same interview before an event.

Patrick's confession of mixed and sometimes extreme emotions gives me mixed feelings as well, including a bit of empathic sadness for someone I care about in a remote capacity even if they are very understandable and expectable. However, there is more than a glimpse of the steadfastness and competitiveness that made him a dominant champion. He is having brand new experiences in brand new and very difficult circumstances but he just has to pull through and learn from them whichever choice he makes. So far the choice is to stay in competition and to regain his prime position, not necessarily right now but for the next Olympics if he keeps the choice. This is really achievable with faith of mind and actions. Believe, Patrick!

The revelations of his experiences on his comeback path makes me appreciate his coach Johnson even more. Besides being someone he can really open himself to and spill his emotions, she keeps the perspectives and reminds Patrick of them. A fierce competitor that he is, anxiety and impatience can set in easily facing the unprecedented challenges. His coach is there to help keep his cool and stay on course. I trust Patrick has the strength that has made him such a wonderful skater and successful competitor to overcome the new challenges, like he has always done. He just needs to keep his cool and stay on course. And believe.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:noshake: I wonder if it's possible to change the placements of the jumps in the SP. Seems like he's got bad mental habits with the jumps as they are right now. --For later...obviously can't change it right now.

Maybe choreographic adjustment will help. But in this video, he doesn't seem to have his mind on it. If he uses whatever get him into focus at competition, he can skate a flawless SP. It's definitely not beyond his abilities.