Men's 300+ Total Points Club | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's 300+ Total Points Club

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
I love Javier and Hanyu. The thing that these two men have going for them that no one other than Patrick has a great program. You can argue that Javi shouldn't be doing the same kind of program over and over but it what he excel's at. Both Javi and Yuzu have intricate programs with maximum scoring value that suits them to a T. That is why the PCS is so high with Javi even with mistakes. The judges love the programs and reward him for it. A program like Shoma's is spectacular and he may posess all of the skills to score in that 300 range but the actual program will need to become more intricate. Shoma is wonderful and I enjoy his skating he has power and softness which is so unique. I do think that it will take a better program to get to 300. Of course this is just my opinion. I also think Dennis with a clean skate could score close but I believe that Patrick and Shoma will do it before Dennis. Dennis is into so many other things besides skating, I think his focus is not the same as the other top men. Again, just my opinion.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think some people are thinking the wrong way about this. Its not about if they deserve it or not, its about if the judges want them to or not.

As Euros prove the judges can just ignore things and give whatever marks they want. If they want to inflate marks they can even if it makes little sense. This of course will hurt skating but the judges clearly don't care.

kresslia

Medalist
Aaron? Seriously? Lol. Actually, the only ones on this list I can see clearing 300 in the near future are Chan, Ten, maybe Uno. Jin as a longshot, needs to get the PCS scores up for the LP.

Chan's PB is less than 5 points off of 300, actually. If he can go clean (with those 2 3As in the LP!) in the SP and LP at 4CC/Worlds he will probably clear 300.

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
But Boyang already is scoring in the high 170s for very messy free skates. I imagine that if he goes 100% clean, he will easily crack 200.

I definitely don't see it happening in the near future though. It's his jump content that's giving him the scores but his PCS isn't necessarily going rise that fast. Especially if he will be compared to the likes of Javi, Yuzuru etc.

Jin has gotten the following in PCS:

72.58 (Cup of China), 76.52 (NHK Trophy), 75.64 (Grand Prix Final)

The judges are kind of stingy (and I believe rightfully so) on PCS with Jin's skates. Assuming he has a perfect skate, his PCS might rise to 80, I don't see Jin Boyang theoretically landing 120 in TES yet. Only Yuzuru has achieved this with an insane amount of GOE boost. His skating will need to mature significantly for him to achieve that and I think if he remains healthy and starts to mature, he can get there. But not easily and not in the near future.

Combined with the fact that the most PCS in SPs he has gotten is around 39-40, he'll have to up the technical content there.

Numbers don't add up.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Yeah you probably are delusional.

The judges LOVE Fernandez for some odd reason. Lol... Doesn't matter which continent he's in.

Lol, there is a reason, and it's not even that odd: Javi's charismatic and he connects well with the auduence.

NicoleH

On the Ice
Lol, there is a reason, and it's not even that odd: Javi's charismatic and he connects well with the auduence.
Lol, fernandez is not charismatic and he's labored with a series of poor jump landings. The audience doesn't really care about him. The European judges overscore him big time to keep him in competition with the strong guys like Hanyu and Chan.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Aaron? Seriously? Lol. Actually, the only ones on this list I can see clearing 300 in the near future are Chan, Ten, maybe Uno. Jin as a longshot, needs to get the PCS scores up for the LP.

Nathan Chen also could, depending on how near future we're talking. He's got to work on expression, but 4 quads are there, good choreo, transitions and skating skills are there, give him a year to make a name for himself and he will be right there points-wise with Shoma and Boyang.

Lol, fernandez is not charismatic and he's labored with a series of poor jump landings. The audience doesn't really care about him. The European judges overscore him big time to keep him in competition with the strong guys like Hanyu and Chan.

:unsure: There is being butthurt that somebody one doesn't care about is scored (too) well and then there is being divorced from reality... But, whatever makes you feel better!

Last edited:

NicoleH

On the Ice
:unsure: There is being butthurt that somebody one doesn't care about is scored (too) well and then there is being divorced from reality... But, whatever makes you feel better!
Very simple. The audience doesn't really care about fernandez' performance meaning what you said "he connects well with the auduence" is not true. The European judges are the ones who care about fernandez since they're desperately overscoring him to keep him in competition with the other guys. If they score him realistically he would not have a chance to win any big international events outside of Europe.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Very simple. The audience doesn't really care about fernandez' performance meaning what you said "he connects well with the auduence" is not true. The European judges are the ones who care about fernandez since they're desperately overscoring him to keep him in competition with the other guys. If they score him realistically he would not have a chance to win any big international events outside of Europe.

And there's seeing what one wants to see too...

melmel

On the Ice
Ok what's all with the Javi bashing here ? Oo I just rewatched his FS and mostly focused on his feet and seriously, there's beauty there. I'm going to call him twinkletoe from now on :luv17:

eta

Medalist
Ok what's all with the Javi bashing here ? Oo I just rewatched his FS and mostly focused on his feet and seriously, there's beauty there. I'm going to call him twinkletoe from now on :luv17:

I kind of feel bad for Javi because the bashing are mostly due to bad judging imo. Not his fault for being overscored when judges give him + GOEs for not-very-good landings and too high PCS.

gsyzf

Medalist
He shouldn't, but judges go crazy for him no matter what. But I thknk outside of Europe he will be judged more acurately compared to Chan and Hanyu. OR maybe I am delusional. Propably I am. :sarcasm:

There is a major flaw in the judges selection process. The ISU lets each national skating federation to select the judges. Every federataion wants the best results for their athletes. Would any federation send their most honest and fair judge the most important competitions like world championship and Olympics, so it gives their rivals a better chance to win? They receive no rewards for doing that. In fact, statistics research found that judges with a greater past nationalistic bias are more likely to be selected by their skating federation.The more important the competition is, the more biased the judges are. In figure skating, nationalistic biases are magnified by vote trading and long-term coalitions. Anonymous judging makes the nationalist bias even worse. So top skaters from countries with strong long-term coalitions will receive significant inflation than skaters from elsewhere.

95% of ISU judges are from Europe. Regardless of where the competition is held, at least half of the judges on the judging panel come from Europe. European men have been in a slump for almost a decade. Javier is the only medal contender from Europe. (Winning world title last season gave European judges more hope.) So Javier has received a lot of inflation this season.

I know it's hard for some fans (especially fans in europe) to admit this, but it's true that some skaters are favored not because of their skills, but because of their nationality.

Franklin99

Medalist

Chan's PB is less than 5 points off of 300, actually. If he can go clean (with those 2 3As in the LP!) in the SP and LP at 4CC/Worlds he will probably clear 300.

As I wrote in my first post, outside of the overall 300 total points, which of the men have the potential to score a possible 100+ SP, and/or a possible 200+ LP score, not just the overall 300 points. That is why Aaron is on the list. I do think with a second quad, and a more polished performance, He may have a chance at a possible 100+ SP...maybeeee.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight

Phil Hersh called his performance quality "wondrous" (and you know how cranky Phil can be) and I agree. And yeah, I was watching those feet too and I thought he was really rocking those moves. Who cares if all the jumps weren't perfect when someone can skate like that? I feel for those judges, having to sit through mediocre performance after performance until Javi finally gets on the ice.

Florencito

Medalist
Very simple. The audience doesn't really care about fernandez' performance meaning what you said "he connects well with the auduence" is not true.

Yep, I guess that’s the reason everytime he enters the ice rink the atmosphere in the arena makes yesterday waiting K&C looking like a warm room full of loving friends.
Really gurl, you’re reaching here, trying way too hard.
Yes, some of those GOEs were a farce (not going on PCS as I think the way they are given is wrong for everyone and not just for a few skaters) and his SS are not on par with those of the other top skaters, but if there’s something he has it’s his charisma, his charming ability to connect with the audience and his ability to be an entertainer while still putting a huge tech content on the ice.
Of course you don’t have to like him, but if you go on saying how mildly the crowds react to him or how much they don’t care for him, then you’re just delusional and all I can say to you is: stay pressed :laugh:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
As I wrote in my first post, outside of the overall 300 total points, which of the men have the potential to score a possible 100+ SP, and/or a possible 200+ LP score, not just the overall 300 points. That is why Aaron is on the list. I do think with a second quad, and a more polished performance, He may have a chance at a possible 100+ SP...maybeeee.

Aaron to score 200 in LP would need to hit TES at Hanyu level. Impossible