Patrick Chan | Page 233 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Here are my thoughts after fully indulging in Patrick’s 4CC glory for the first time:

THREE FOR THREE!!! (barely :eekn:) After the SP, I lowered my placement expectations and only hoped he would get on the podium. BUT HE WON! :yes2: I love his and Kathy’s reaction in the K&C. Patrick says calmly, “And I won,” to which Kathy screams and says, “I didn’t even notice,” and then Patrick says he won overall “by 1 point.” :laugh: Priceless. Equally priceless, if not more so, was the slap of the ice. It’s as if he was telling the ice, “Take that! I CONQUERED YOU today!” At SC, he reacted with tears, at GPF with a calm smile, and at 4CC with pure excitement and exhilaration. And at the medal ceremony, he was not only singing along to "O Canada" but he was also blinking back tears. Before the comeback, I don't recall him being so emotional on the podium. It was obvious how much it meant to him both at SC and 4CC. It's heartwarming to see his joy.

As for the skate itself, what can I say? It was BREATHTAKINGLY AMAZING!!!!! :love: His jumps were so smooth and beautiful. It's like he knew he was going to land them before he took off. Such confident landings! I have NEVER seen Patrick show this level of comfort with a competitive program, especially a long program, from the very beginning. It was special at 2014 JO and it’s even more special at 2016 4CC. In the past, I’ve felt very lucky as a fan if Patrick had ONE clean LP during the season. This season so far he’s had THREE, although the first two had a tripled 4T and one 3A. How fortunate we have been as fans to watch him have three of his cleanest and best LPs ever in the same season. I hope Boston brings us more of the same.

I also have to say that the CROWD in Taipei was amazing. I knew the results long before I watched the program for the first time, so I wondered if I would feel a high level of excitement as I watched, but thanks to the crowd’s reaction, I definitely did! :yes2: The ROAR when he landed the second 3A was particularly thrilling. As far as non-jump reactions, people clapped after his first step sequence, which is rare, and also during the second camel of the camel-change-camel (does he change edges when he puts his arms behind his back?). These non-jump reactions show how into the entire program the crowd was (in other words, what an artist Patrick is on the ice). And, of course, the roar rising during the combination spin is the cherry on top. I like the camera angles too, especially on the 3Lo-turn-stop. Gosh, I could watch this particular skate a thousand times!!! He hit the jumps, he was fully into the choreography, and he did it all with such an ease and flow. Every element looks like it was supposed to go where it is. It doesn’t feel like, “I’m going to spin right now because I have to” or “Here’s my step sequence for you.” One thing goes right into the next so that you don’t feel like Patrick is simply getting through a checklist of elements. Patrick does spin variations but they’re not super obvious or obtrusive, like so many are these days, even by the great Yuzu (e.g. I’m glad Patrick has never done a doughnut spin or a butt spin). I just LOVE this program SO MUCH because it’s complex but it doesn’t look complex, if you know what I mean. It’s very, very Patrick. I think Mr. Colson would be quite proud of Patrick and David for doing this masterpiece of a program. :yes:

Wow, that was long, but this skate deserved it. And I haven’t even watched the videos with commentary yet. Patrick’s latest tweet sure made me smile. Results aside, I CAN’T WAIT for Worlds!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan, I'd love to hear more about your Mack The Knife show. I recall earlier posts in which you described researching MTK. Was this inspired by Patrick?

I too am seriously thinking about going to Cdn Nats 2017 however it's hard to commit to something that's more than ten months away!

That would be both fun and crazy at the same time! A group of fans lurking around trying to catch glimpses of Patrick! If I can't go I demand that someone documents every second of it so everybody else can enjoy it vicariously! I'd even pay to see that! :laugh2:
about MTK, totally not planned on my part... was not even supposed to be part of the show but someone didn't return phone calls and I happened to do.. So when I opened the binder and found MTK in there, I was giggling... we are doing a classical version so very far from Patrick's version.

And yes... I have done my share of visits to Detroit area :) but I demand that this trip gets documented and shared here ;)

SGrand

Final Flight
Here are my thoughts after fully indulging in Patrick’s 4CC glory for the first time:

THREE FOR THREE!!! (barely :eekn:) After the SP, I lowered my placement expectations and only hoped he would get on the podium. BUT HE WON! :yes2: I love his and Kathy’s reaction in the K&C. Patrick says calmly, “And I won,” to which Kathy screams and says, “I didn’t even notice,” and then Patrick says he won overall “by 1 point.” :laugh: Priceless. Equally priceless, if not more so, was the slap of the ice. It’s as if he was telling the ice, “Take that! I CONQUERED YOU today!” At SC, he reacted with tears, at GPF with a calm smile, and at 4CC with pure excitement and exhilaration. And at the medal ceremony, he was not only singing along to "O Canada" but he was also blinking back tears. Before the comeback, I don't recall him being so emotional on the podium. It was obvious how much it meant to him both at SC and 4CC. It's heartwarming to see his joy.

As for the skate itself, what can I say? It was BREATHTAKINGLY AMAZING!!!!! :love: His jumps were so smooth and beautiful. It's like he knew he was going to land them before he took off. Such confident landings! I have NEVER seen Patrick show this level of comfort with a competitive program, especially a long program, from the very beginning. It was special at 2014 JO and it’s even more special at 2016 4CC. In the past, I’ve felt very lucky as a fan if Patrick had ONE clean LP during the season. This season so far he’s had THREE, although the first two had a tripled 4T and one 3A. How fortunate we have been as fans to watch him have three of his cleanest and best LPs ever in the same season. I hope Boston brings us more of the same.

I also have to say that the CROWD in Taipei was amazing. I knew the results long before I watched the program for the first time, so I wondered if I would feel a high level of excitement as I watched, but thanks to the crowd’s reaction, I definitely did! :yes2: The ROAR when he landed the second 3A was particularly thrilling. As far as non-jump reactions, people clapped after his first step sequence, which is rare, and also during the second camel of the camel-change-camel (does he change edges when he puts his arms behind his back?). These non-jump reactions show how into the entire program the crowd was (in other words, what an artist Patrick is on the ice). And, of course, the roar rising during the combination spin is the cherry on top. I like the camera angles too, especially on the 3Lo-turn-stop. Gosh, I could watch this particular skate a thousand times!!! He hit the jumps, he was fully into the choreography, and he did it all with such an ease and flow. Every element looks like it was supposed to go where it is. It doesn’t feel like, “I’m going to spin right now because I have to” or “Here’s my step sequence for you.” One thing goes right into the next so that you don’t feel like Patrick is simply getting through a checklist of elements. Patrick does spin variations but they’re not super obvious or obtrusive, like so many are these days, even by the great Yuzu (e.g. I’m glad Patrick has never done a doughnut spin or a butt spin). I just LOVE this program SO MUCH because it’s complex but it doesn’t look complex, if you know what I mean. It’s very, very Patrick. I think Mr. Colson would be quite proud of Patrick and David for doing this masterpiece of a program. :yes:

Wow, that was long, but this skate deserved it. And I haven’t even watched the videos with commentary yet. Patrick’s latest tweet sure made me smile. Results aside, I CAN’T WAIT for Worlds!!! :biggrin:

You are awesome!!![emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Blueberryhill and 4everchan, that would be funny to record such a trip with a video titled "In Search of Patrick Chan". You could narrate it like a documentary too. :laugh:

What a great recap, skatingfan4ever! :agree:

Remember that idea I had that Patrick ought to guest star in a martial arts movie and have a spectacular fight scene over the ice? Well OMG :shocked: I was watching "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2" tonight, and they have just that - a big sword fight over an icy lake or river with Donnie Yen! Of course, this is a straight fight where they break up the ice into chunks, so it would be terrible conditions for Patrick to skate in. Still, it was quite a good scene, and somehow I think Patrick and Nam would enjoy it. ;)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I feel obliged to share my little experience with Patrick fans here. I showed Patrick's Chopin to my friend. He is NOT a figure skating fan at all. know nothing about it, and dont watch it as well. before He only knows Yuzuru, cos I showed Yuzuru's OG SP to him and He loved Yuzuru's cool moves (e.g. brush hair like a rock star). and he likes Yuzuru's anime looks. So he is a Yuzuru fan (if has to give him a category:biggrin:, actually, he is just a very casual viewer). but when I was watching Patrick, my friend just got drew in, became quiet and focused until the very end of the performance, I totally did not expect that. since he will usually got bored watching fg videos or only got excited when there is cool moves or pretty girls (I guess pretty normal for casual viewers). but Patrick, I did not even emphasize who he is. (usually if I advocate fg videos to my friends, I will say like Yuzuru is OG champion, world record, or Gracie national champion etc.). but he somehow got absorbed and interested in Patrick after watching Patrick's Chopin on TV. And that is even at most 50% at effective as watching Patrick live according to one figure skating fan's live repo.
Patrick's perfect skating is once-of-a-life-time treasure. that figure skating fan started to say that "please go to watch Patrick live once, if you havent." just like I experienced/did after I watched Patrick live at 2013 worlds live (that SP).:luv17::eek::

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here are some more comments from elsewhere about Patrick’s 4CC FS that are worth posting here.

From the 4CC Videos & Results thread on GS:
Damn. My favorite moment has got to be the simple triple sal landing timed PERFECTLY to the "pling" of piano keys right after a brief silence in music. Way to punctuate! I don't know why but that just gets me going haha.

OMG...this is the best I've seen of Patrick's Chopin LP yet, I had to watch twice, the second time to observe how he *hit every note* with his steps and movement, every nuance, every pause, every crescendo of a very difficult piece, he didn't have to but he expressed every single note in their singularity and character, staccato, bathos, rubatos....ugh...I feel tired watching his non-stop skating at this speed and with such seamless complex choreography - it's a skating fan's high.:drama:

I cannot believe that these skills are not worth a 4lz....:disapp:

I honestly haven't seen a more complicated and difficult program, minus the jumps difficulty, out there and so passionately skated, I didn't care much about his scores after that, but glad that he won. He deserves it.

ITA I am a big fan of drama and extroverts and I am no expert but I noticed how each edge, stroke,turn, twist was to the music. Simply brilliant. Yes, understated but just amazing. This is a performance for the ages. in the old 6.0 system it would be sixes both tech and artistry. Even without the extra quads just wonderful. Sorry Jin you are young maybe cute but this is how you should skate. More than jumps.

Under the IN article announcing the results (removed the names):
Patrick is not only an athlete...he's an artist. Love him.

His performance is one that I will add to my list of never-to-be-forgotten moments in skating.

My favorite part of OniBan's firsthand report, which VB brought here yesterday, is this: "It is like he is on a whole different level - moments simultaneously hang in the air and yet goes by so fast that you wish it could go one forever. He makes you SEE the silent moments in the music, appreciate the soft glide of blade over ice as he goes around in smooth, graceful arcs, gentle tinkling of the piano keys hanging around your senses. "

:2thumbs: to all of these comments!!! :love:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I feel obliged to share my little experience with Patrick fans here. I showed Patrick's Chopin to my friend. He is NOT a figure skating fan at all. know nothing about it, and dont watch it as well. before He only knows Yuzuru, cos I showed Yuzuru's OG SP to him and He loved Yuzuru's cool moves (e.g. brush hair like a rock star). and he likes Yuzuru's anime looks. So he is a Yuzuru fan (if has to give him a category:biggrin:, actually, he is just a very casual viewer). but when I was watching Patrick, my friend just got drew in, became quiet and focused until the very end of the performance, I totally did not expect that. since he will usually got bored watching fg videos or only got excited when there is cool moves or pretty girls (I guess pretty normal for casual viewers). but Patrick, I did not even emphasize who he is. (usually if I advocate fg videos to my friends, I will say like Yuzuru is OG champion, world record, or Gracie national champion etc.). but he somehow got absorbed and interested in Patrick after watching Patrick's Chopin on TV. And that is even at most 50% at effective as watching Patrick live according to one figure skating fan's live repo.
Patrick's perfect skating is once-of-a-life-time treasure. that figure skating fan started to say that "please go to watch Patrick live once, if you havent." just like I experienced/did after I watched Patrick live at 2013 worlds live (that SP).:luv17::eek::
The best skating really does transcend the sport and you don't have to be a fan to appreciate it. When he skates this well, Patrick is one of the skaters who can move any person who is open to being moved. Thanks for sharing your friend's reaction, which is even more amazing because you did not tell him anything about Patrick beforehand. And I agree with you that Patrick's skating is a once-in-a-lifetime treasure. :yes: :)

calica

Final Flight
According to this link, the Ladies FS and Mens FS will air on CBC on Feb 27th at 3 pm. So, it is likely that someone will upload it after that date. The 4CC videos on CBC's website right now have no commentary.

Just now is the Men FS or late?
I hope that someone share the videos in good quality ;)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
i am watching, right now Lady's just finished men's up next.
as a loyal CBC FG viewer, you can learn so much from commentary, everything about FG.

I hope some fans can record the whole thing, the best commentary in the business!:love::luv17:

Hanee's name hand board surely made an presence here:biggrin:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
watching too on CBC ;) will have to delay watching curling as chan will take the ice in a little while :) I cannot wait to see it one the large blasting TV as opposed to my tiny lappy ;)

GO PATRICK ... i know you won but win 4cc two weeks in a row! I believe!!!!!!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

What a great story, yyyskate! Do you mind if I share this on Twitter?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
What a great story, yyyskate! Do you mind if I share this on Twitter?
:think:I kinda mind, it is not that a big deal. I guess it is a reaction, many casual observers will experience when watching Patrick, cos his pure moves, the pure vision impact of his moves is different even on TV.
But you are definitely welcome to tell my little anecdote to your friends and fellow Patrick fans.

mainly because this is my observation of my friend's reaction, if it is anything from me, e.g. my report or comments, you can share it to twitter at will.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
:think:I kinda mind, it is not that a big deal. I guess it is a reaction, many casual observers will experience when watching Patrick, cos his pure moves, the pure vision impact of his moves is different even on TV.
But you are definitely welcome to tell my little anecdote to your friends and fellow Patrick fans.

mainly because this is my observation of my friend's reaction, if it is anything from me, e.g. my report or comments, you can share it to twitter at will.

Okay, no worries. :) I only send links to @Pchiddy on Twitter to encourage him that he is achieving one of his goals, to elevate the sport. Only fans who follow me and him on Twitter can see these tweets, unless they search for them on purpose.

I'll just tell him that he impressed yet another non-FS fan without linking. Thanks!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Okay, no worries. :) I only send links to @Pchiddy on Twitter to encourage him that he is achieving one of his goals, to elevate the sport. Only fans who follow me and him on Twitter can see these tweets, unless they search for them on purpose.

I'll just tell him that he impressed yet another non-FS fan without linking. Thanks!

oh, in this case, send the link to Patrick then.:) I would like Patrick himself to get some real_life feed back of his skating. :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Somebody record it ?

I prefer watching Patrick's this performance with NO commentary even if it is commentary from the beloved CBC:biggrin:
cos I dont wanna miss or wanna appreciate the subtle piano note Patrick interpreted with every little steps, change of edges / directions of his skating.:luv17:

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
I am going to try and watch everyone tomorrow but I FF'd to the end for Patrick as I wanted to see what Kurt would be saying.
Two things: first, whoever was commentating with him (was it Carol? I can't remember) mentioned that he has had bad short programs this year but has come back with a strong free to either win or make it on the podium. As far as I know that only happened once, at Skate Canada. TEB there was no free, he came back at the GPF with a beautiful free but was 4th and at Nats his short was amazing and he had a pretty good free (I say good now since 4CC was exquisite!!!!). I wish they would get their facts straight lol.
Second, they talked about the short and the troubles and they were agreeing that he should go back to his old short. I'm assuming Elegie? Could that be done? I'm not sure if he would do it, it would be like giving up on MTK and I don't think he is a quitter. And I think he is on a great path now and I honestly don't care if he wins worlds or not, I want him to skate his best and have fun and stay healthy and happy!
Also, I cannot stop watching his damn free skate!!!!!!!! Haha