Patrick Chan | Page 234 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Interspectator

Record Breaker

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
carol and kurt yup... and yeah... the commentary this time was... erm... Patrick would have gone back to an old SP a before Nationals if he had wanted to.... it's way too late now... and I don't think he would have done elegy... too much piano music... :) if he feels like doing take 5 again then, he can go for that :) haha but yeah... he won't change... i am pretty sure... he knows he can nail it, he did it at Nationals...

I have watched this free skate more often than his TEB 2013 already... this is saying quite a lot...especially considering that i still watch the TEB from time to time and it's been 2-3 years now LOL
I am going to try and watch everyone tomorrow but I FF'd to the end for Patrick as I wanted to see what Kurt would be saying.
Two things: first, whoever was commentating with him (was it Carol? I can't remember) mentioned that he has had bad short programs this year but has come back with a strong free to either win or make it on the podium. As far as I know that only happened once, at Skate Canada. TEB there was no free, he came back at the GPF with a beautiful free but was 4th and at Nats his short was amazing and he had a pretty good free (I say good now since 4CC was exquisite!!!!). I wish they would get their facts straight lol.
Second, they talked about the short and the troubles and they were agreeing that he should go back to his old short. I'm assuming Elegie? Could that be done? I'm not sure if he would do it, it would be like giving up on MTK and I don't think he is a quitter. And I think he is on a great path now and I honestly don't care if he wins worlds or not, I want him to skate his best and have fun and stay healthy and happy!
Also, I cannot stop watching his damn free skate!!!!!!!! Haha

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
NO!! stays here... Belongs only to fans of Patrick LOLLL HAHAHAH just being a brat ;) I love the phantom drawing... Patrick will haunt my dreams like a ghost tonight ;)

Good night dear folks !
You should add these to the figure skating fan-art gallery in the Cafe section. :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I can't get over the beauty that Patrick magically delivered in the free performance at 4CC, so have watched it over and over. His Chopin was like a sea with such a great depth and at the same time like a free bird. I just want to express my gratitude to him for his wonderful skating. :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I can't get over the beauty that Patrick magically delivered in the free performance at 4CC, so have watched it over and over. His Chopin was like a sea with such a great depth and at the same time like a free bird. I just want to express my gratitude to him for his wonderful skating. :)

That's awesome, and if you are so inclined, please send him an encouraging message on one of the social media networks (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) or a card/letter to him at the Detroit Skating Club.

BTW all, over the weekend I found the perfect card to send him (see the card cover here). Getting ready to mail it! :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I prefer watching Patrick's this performance with NO commentary even if it is commentary from the beloved CBC:biggrin:
cos I dont wanna miss or wanna appreciate the subtle piano note Patrick interpreted with every little steps, change of edges / directions of his skating.:luv17:
:yes: The No Commentary version is my favorite as well, so I can fully soak it all in without interruption!

Photo: A front view of this moment during Patrick's FS. Look at the angle of his blades!

https://twitter.com/Jamjomjem/status/703428101087186944

And thanks to Sabinfire, who uploaded the CBC broadcast of the 4CC Men's FS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n7vhMfYWQg
I LOVE this photo!!! You can really see the angle and the great lean that Patrick has on his edges. Masterful! That takes such great balance and control.

And for anyone who wants to skip right to Patrick's FS in the video, it's at 37:00.

I am going to try and watch everyone tomorrow but I FF'd to the end for Patrick as I wanted to see what Kurt would be saying.
Two things: first, whoever was commentating with him (was it Carol? I can't remember) mentioned that he has had bad short programs this year but has come back with a strong free to either win or make it on the podium. As far as I know that only happened once, at Skate Canada. TEB there was no free, he came back at the GPF with a beautiful free but was 4th and at Nats his short was amazing and he had a pretty good free (I say good now since 4CC was exquisite!!!!). I wish they would get their facts straight lol.
Second, they talked about the short and the troubles and they were agreeing that he should go back to his old short. I'm assuming Elegie? Could that be done? I'm not sure if he would do it, it would be like giving up on MTK and I don't think he is a quitter. And I think he is on a great path now and I honestly don't care if he wins worlds or not, I want him to skate his best and have fun and stay healthy and happy!
Also, I cannot stop watching his damn free skate!!!!!!!! Haha

carol and kurt yup... and yeah... the commentary this time was... erm... Patrick would have gone back to an old SP a before Nationals if he had wanted to.... it's way too late now... and I don't think he would have done elegy... too much piano music... :) if he feels like doing take 5 again then, he can go for that :) haha but yeah... he won't change... i am pretty sure... he knows he can nail it, he did it at Nationals...

I have watched this free skate more often than his TEB 2013 already... this is saying quite a lot...especially considering that i still watch the TEB from time to time and it's been 2-3 years now LOL
Chopin is a more enjoyable program for me than Four Seasons 2, although if you had told me that I'd like any Patrick program more than that after 2013 TEB, I would have said, "No way! This is the height of Patrick's genius!" It helps that we've gotten to see so many clean/nearly clean skates of Chopin, so we've really gotten to see it EVOLVE, instead of just hoping he can eek out a clean program. I do think Chopin is more artistically mature than Four Seasons 2, but Four Seasons 2 is still wonderful to watch.

As for the CBC commentary, I agree that it was not that great. Eurosport is my favorite commentary on Patrick's 4CC LP (surprise surprise :laugh:). I actually enjoyed Johnny's commentary a lot more than CBC and felt that Johnny actually added something to my viewing experience with his comment that "the most brilliant part of this free skate" is how Patrick "fills the quiet in the music." Johnny literally said "just watch," and I did. Kurt's been more insightful about Patrick's skating at other times. Many of Patrick's 3As have looked amazing this season, Kurt!

Patrick should NOT go back to Elegie. I love Elegie to death, but he already did it for two seasons straight and we don't need any more of it (I can just imagine how much louder the cries of "one-trick pony" would get :noshake:). As much as I don't like the concept of MTK (the song is just creepy), it does provide a good contrast to Chopin. I think Elegie and Chopin are too thematically similar to be done together. What I'm really curious about is, how likely is Patrick to keep MTK for another season? I hope he doesn't keep it, but he's in the habit of keeping one program, so you never know. He's gotten a lot of greatness out of Chopin and it may be easier/better to put the 4S in a fresh LP. If he gets a new SP next season, I hope it's upbeat, although that strategy hasn't gone too well this season. A different song with more relatable lyrics? Or maybe no lyrics but something jazzy with a silky smooth melody and beat to match his skating skills? I'm thinking Louis Armstrong. ;) Possibly "La Vie en Rose" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNWAboguJQ). Is that considered a warhorse in figure skating? Other than Phantom, he hasn't done an upbeat LP, so that would be fun to see too.

:agree:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^
I agree that Patrick shouldn't change this season... it's too late... also agree one piano program is enough per year... :)
for other music suggestions... I could write a whole thread of music for pchiddy... that's why he needs to hire me as a music consultant ;)

i think patrick will have 2 new programs next year... and will save his favourite for the olympics and only learn one that year

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Just found this during a Google Search, and I'm not sure why it's not on Skate Canada's Athlete Appearance Page, but Patrick will be featured at the Silver Blades Annual Ice Show in Corner Brook, NL on April 23.

So his upcoming appearances are:

March 28 - April 3, 2016 2016 World Figure Skating Championships, Boston, MA
April 9-10, 2016 Stars on Ice, Osaka, Japan
April 15-17, 2016 Stars on Ice, Tokyo, Japan
April 23, 2016 Silver Blades Annual Ice show featuring Patrick Chan, Corner Brook, NL
April 29, 2016 Stars on Ice, Halifax, NS
May 1, 2016 Stars on Ice, Ottawa, ON
May 6, 2016 Stars on Ice, Toronto, ON
May 7, 2016 Stars on Ice, Hamilton, ON
May 8, 2016 Stars on Ice, London, ON
May 11, 2016 Stars on Ice, Winnnipeg, MB
May 13, 2016 Stars on Ice, Edmonton, AB
May 14, 2016 Stars on Ice, Saskatoon, SK
May 15, 2016 Stars on Ice, Calgary, AB
May 18, 2016 Stars on Ice, Kelowna, BC
May 19, 2016 Stars on Ice, Vancouver, BC
May 21, 2016 Stars on Ice, Victoria, BC

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
That mean he will not show up The Team Challenge cup.

Nope, it doesn't look like it.

Patrick should NOT go back to Elegie. I love Elegie to death, but he already did it for two seasons straight and we don't need any more of it (I can just imagine how much louder the cries of "one-trick pony" would get :noshake:). As much as I don't like the concept of MTK (the song is just creepy), it does provide a good contrast to Chopin. I think Elegie and Chopin are too thematically similar to be done together. What I'm really curious about is, how likely is Patrick to keep MTK for another season? I hope he doesn't keep it, but he's in the habit of keeping one program, so you never know. He's gotten a lot of greatness out of Chopin and it may be easier/better to put the 4S in a fresh LP. If he gets a new SP next season, I hope it's upbeat, although that strategy hasn't gone too well this season. A different song with more relatable lyrics? Or maybe no lyrics but something jazzy with a silky smooth melody and beat to match his skating skills? I'm thinking Louis Armstrong. ;) Possibly "La Vie en Rose" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNWAboguJQ). Is that considered a warhorse in figure skating? Other than Phantom, he hasn't done an upbeat LP, so that would be fun to see too. :agree:

I agree that Elegie and Chopin are too similar to be done together. Not sure the MTK will be kept, since it's not been a consistently successful program compared to the Chopin. I think he would do better with no lyrics, too. Your idea for jazzy but silky smooth melody is a good one.

^^
I agree that Patrick shouldn't change this season... it's too late... also agree one piano program is enough per year... :)
for other music suggestions... I could write a whole thread of music for pchiddy... that's why he needs to hire me as a music consultant ;)

I am nicely urging you to start writing and present your fabulous work to Pchiddy. You can do it! :agree:

Am I the only one who can't resist playing videos of Patrick's performances to other music just to see how they would match up? For example, I would love to see him do a program that reflects his Asian roots, or is a combination of East and West. So just out of curiosity I played his LP to The Piano Guys' "Cello Ascending", which is a combination of "Oogway Ascends" from the Kung Fu Panda Soundtrack and Chopin's Prelude Op. 28 No. 20 in C minor. If you play his LP from 4CC right from the actual start of the performance and start Cello Ascending from 1:09 (the fast middle part of the piece), it matches up pretty well. :)

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
I hope he changes both programs next season (and also the Olympic season)

I enjoy more with new programs, seeing how they evolve during the season, but two years using the same music has always seemed to me too and almost unfair to the fan ( because it deprives us of to see to skater in other facets)

Taking advantage of the pre-Olympic season, I hope Patrick take chances with the music. He is classic skater but this does not mean that everything should be classical or piano music.

I would like some rock and roll, jazz , ethnic ... (but only original versions or good acoustic versions, no more Michael Buble, please). e.g. "nothing else matters" (original or the used version by Joubert)

:yes: The No Commentary version is my favorite as well, so I can fully soak it all in without interruption!

I acknowledge that I have seen this program about 100 times and sometimes I like without comment and others with. I like to enjoy in a program only, and others, listen to the emotion of the commentators makes me understand even better the exploits of Patrick.

PS: sorry for my english.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
most top skaters tend to keep one program for two years... they cost a lot of money to choreograph .... I guess that's one of the reasons... I think Patrick will have 2 new programs next year though. I just don't see him keep MTK and the Chopin is already 2 seasons old.

In Patrick's case, since he does great exhibition programs, I don't feel short changed ;)

his take 5 program was great! I'd like something along those lines. I don't see Patrick doing Asian programs, sorry vivley or ethnic. I mean, he has tons of skills but his lines, body, style are perfectly suited for classical music... that doesn't mean he cannot have a variety or venture in other genre... but he needs to be pragmatic... perhaps he could experiment in his exhibition programs more and keep it effective in the competition programs...

look at us, already talking about next programs... we are greedy :)

vivley I don't think I will bombard Patrick with music ;) It would be a dream to do such work but I am sure the entrance door to that world is not easily opened.
I trust his team is doing okay... (except with MTK !)

calica : your english is fine.
I hope he changes both programs next season (and also the Olympic season)

I enjoy more with new programs, seeing how they evolve during the season, but two years using the same music has always seemed to me too and almost unfair to the fan ( because it deprives us of to see to skater in other facets)

Taking advantage of the pre-Olympic season, I hope Patrick take chances with the music. He is classic skater but this does not mean that everything should be classical or piano music.

I would like some rock and roll, jazz , ethnic ... (but only original versions or good acoustic versions, no more Michael Buble, please). e.g. "nothing else matters" (original or the used version by Joubert)

I acknowledge that I have seen this program about 100 times and sometimes I like without comment and others with. I like to enjoy in a program only, and others, listen to the emotion of the commentators makes me understand even better the exploits of Patrick.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
That's awesome, and if you are so inclined, please send him an encouraging message on one of the social media networks (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) or a card/letter to him at the Detroit Skating Club.

BTW all, over the weekend I found the perfect card to send him (see the card cover here). Getting ready to mail it! :biggrin:

That's a great suggestion which I have never thought of. Thanks.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

I'm the same way - sometimes I prefer no commentary, just to watch and study Patrick's performances in detail. At other times, I like to listen to the commentators, especially when they give good comments, or sound so excited. One of my favorites is the B.ESP guys saying that Patrick has been a 3-time World champion, but "he's never skated like that."

Also, one of my favorite little moments in the Chopin LP is that big bounce that is generated when Patrick does a 180 degree flip right before his long glide into the 4T+3T.

No worries, we understand you perfectly fine, Calica. :agree:

most top skaters tend to keep one program for two years... they cost a lot of money to choreograph .... I guess that's one of the reasons... I think Patrick will have 2 new programs next year though. I just don't see him keep MTK and the Chopin is already 2 seasons old.

The Chopin program has been so strong for him that I wouldn't mind it if he keeps working on it until he maxes out the layout in terms of points. I am more concerned about him going to the Olympics with his best and strongest program, and right now I can't imagine him and DW coming up something that is just as consistent and strong, yet even more difficult and dazzling than this one. But if they can do that, I'm all for it!

his take 5 program was great! I'd like something along those lines. I don't see Patrick doing Asian programs, sorry vivley or ethnic. I mean, he has tons of skills but his lines, body, style are perfectly suited for classical music... that doesn't mean he cannot have a variety or venture in other genre... but he needs to be pragmatic... perhaps he could experiment in his exhibition programs more and keep it effective in the competition programs...

That's why I suggested something like "Cello Ascending", which is a combination of a soundtrack (from an Asian-themed movie) and Chopin. If you haven't already, you should see the music video of them playing on the Great Wall of China - I don't know how they got that piano up there!

But I think Patrick would do well with soundtracks and classical crossover pieces (and if they have a bit of Asian flavor, that would be even better for me :biggrin:). He could look into Canadian composer David Foster's works for ideas (David Foster wrote St. Elmo's Fire and produced Michael Buble and Josh Groban's albums).

I also think he could do one program to music like Take Five, and another one to ethereal choral music for a nice contrast in programs. Just my two Canadian dollars.

vivley
I trust his team is doing okay... (except with MTK !)

That's why they need you. You could work on a piece inspired by him and send it to Hugo Chouinard or Kathy, since she has a lot of say in what he does. Or - ask Patrick to star in your music video and put it on YouTube! :love:

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I know! :eek:::laugh2: Patrick is one of the very few skaters who intrigues me enough to actually wonder about future programs in this way. He is just THAT good! :yes: And, so far, when his music choices have been announced, I've never said, "Oh no, not [insert warhorse] again!" Was POTO already a warhorse when he did it? For me it didn't become super annoying until last season (and, btw, Patrick's POTO is still my favorite male singles version). For Ladies, my favorite POTO is Akiko, and the programs are so different that it would be unfair to choose one over the other. Sorry for going slightly OT.

That's why I suggested something like "Cello Ascending", which is a combination of a soundtrack (from an Asian-themed movie) and Chopin. If you haven't already, you should see the music video of them playing on the Great Wall of China - I don't know how they got that piano up there!

But I think Patrick would do well with soundtracks and classical crossover pieces (and if they have a bit of Asian flavor, that would be even better for me :biggrin:). He could look into Canadian composer David Foster's works for ideas (David Foster wrote St. Elmo's Fire and produced Michael Buble and Josh Groban's albums).

I also think he could do one program to music like Take Five, and another one to ethereal choral music for a nice contrast in programs. Just my two Canadian dollars.
I LOVE The Piano Guys and, yes, I think anything by them would be GREAT for Patrick!!! Maybe you could tweet him and tell him that. They have amazing music out there. I had to resist the impulse to click on the Related Videos after watching the one you linked to. :)

Last edited: