Wondering about why Nagasu continues? | Golden Skate

Wondering about why Nagasu continues?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I like Mirai and at times she has gotten it together but it made me sad to see her again struggle in competition despite her beautiful presentation and abilities to do many elements so well when not competing. Clearly she hopes to make the Olympic Team and with Gracie Gold getting less able it seems to deal with her nerves maybe she has a shot.

I just wonder who funds all this and wonder if Mirai is perhaps is missing or greatly delaying opportunities other than competitive skating. I do feel badly for both ladies and I see the start of the season for both skaters leaving them feeling more desperate to do better at the next event.

I love them both and I feel so nervous - especially when Gracie takes the ice. I really thought she was going to faint before skate America. She thinks it is her weight according to the other thread but it seems like the nerves are worse than ever.

It is their choice and I always hope they do great but I don't think Mirai is from money and can't help but think what a great college her skating costs could have paid for. Gracie's dad is a doctor and I'm sure she will go to college albeit not til 2018. The Gold family can afford two skaters.

I don't think I ever saw anyone look as pale and frightened as Gracie did at SA. I personally if I knew Mirai would have tried to re direct her and I have always found her totally endearing.

When does one quit? Obviously for both it is after 2018. Sometimes I just cannot watch. :palmf:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are you aware that Mirai has been in college since last season?

She started the season quite well at her two Challengers.
She has NHK Trophy ahead of her. Skate Canada unfortunately was one step backward :ghug:, and I hope she now can take two steps forward.
Go, Mirai :yay:.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think that both skaters continue, because they like skating. ;)

Both, are sadly American Ladies, more I don´t need to add I guess? The pressure that athletes face, the media attention and hordes of fans that all want to win gold and use you for it, must be incredible frustrating for a young athlete. There is a reason, why so many American child stars, collapse around 20 years of age, but nothing seems to change. It´s the system that is wrong, you are loved when you win, but trashed if you don´t. When Gracie once noted that people only asked her if she won gold at Sotchi, but not if she had fun or how it was in Russia... that´s just sad.
I really hope she has true friends, that don´t care about her as a skater and VIP, but a person, a teenager. It must be very hard for her, to just go to the beach and sit there, doing nothing. But I also have to question the media officials, who let the interviews run when they clearly know, that she is not having the best time.

A journalist, does not need to public each quote, some should remain hidden - but ya...

Not sure if Mirai is facing similar issues, but it always makes me sad when I see how hard it is for an athlete in NA to live a normal life. A good friend of mine, suffers under this as well, she just want´s to have a normal life and pursue her sport, but it´s not working.

I wish both Ladies the best of luck, but I am afraid it will be incredible hard under the US American flag.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Not sure if Mirai is facing similar issues, but it always makes me sad when I see how hard it is for an athlete in NA to live a normal life. A good friend of mine, suffers under this as well, she just want´s to have a normal life and pursue her sport, but it´s not working.

Everyone is different. Some have to train harder than others just to acheive similar results, and there's just not enough hours in a day to do both well. (and the definition of "well" differs from person to person too!)

mary01

Final Flight
Listen if a skater like ashley could win a world silver, then anyone can, especially a skater like Mirai who really excels in some skating aspect, I always loved her spins and spirals, they are gorgeous, I will never forget the kind of excitement she gave seeing something as simple as spin, but she elevated that element and made it her own with her amazing flexibility, Mirai, Mao and Julia are the only female skaters whose spins and spirals make me go WOW, Medvedeva can spin all she wants and get 3 goe across the board on paper, but she just doesn't have that wow factor in her elements that these girls have!

That aside, Mirai is loved by the skating community and that alone sets her apart from other skaters in her situation, many look forward to see her including myself, Im actually more curious and interested in seeing how Mirai does in her GP event then someone like Satoko, or Ashley who score and place higher then her, but don't give me anything to look forward to in their skating!

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
IMHO, it is not the business of anyone other than Mirai (an adult) as to why she continues, how she pays for it or what else she should be doing with her life.

temadd

Final Flight
Mirai continues because she loves figure skating. I think that she is lucky to be world class at something that she loves. If everyone in this world had such talent and passion for something, the world would be a more peaceful place. (sorry, I'm getting up on my soapbox). This was a big bump in the road for her but hopefully she'll shake it off and get back to work. She was 10th at worlds.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
IMHO, it is not the business of anyone other than Mirai (an adult) as to why she continues, how she pays for it or what else she should be doing with her life.

So true. And if you love her, support her, instead of thinking up things to worry for her.

loopy

Final Flight
Why not mirai? She is lovely and talented. She isn't taking anyone's spot, she has earned it.

Same with Gracie, she will find her groove this season. She is starting late and tried her best and will continue to improve.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
We're talking about a skater who just got a personal best SP a month or so ago.

And the reigning 4CC silver medalist, who also won a CS event recently too.

frida80

Record Breaker
I wonder why after one bad competition someone demands a skater retire. They did the same thing on twitter last week to Gracie. And the same thing to Mirai last year after she was 5th in her first Challenger Series competition.

The answer is, because she wants to. Mirai will stop when Mirai decides to stop. Not a moment before. If she still wants to compete, then I respect her for it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's interesting you should ask this because Rod Black (CTV Skate Canada commentator) and Tracy Wilson were covering the ladies and explained why Mirai chose to skate to "The Winner Takes It All" by ABBA. The program was choreographed by the great David Wilson; she feels her competitive path has been up and down that this music expresses how she feels about it all. I thought it was rather poignant.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser's standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules

The gods may throw the dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain?

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Mirai should quit when she's ready. But the very sad thing is her consistency is so erratic that it must be incredibly frustrating to her. She has the talent, she has the jumps. she has the spins, she has the presentation................but there's something missing. Wish I knew what it was. When she's "on" she's absolutely wonderful. When she's not "on" (sadly more often than not) she's really a sad skater to watch.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure Mirai like most skaters in North America skate because they want to and like it. While they may get nervous at competitions they do like competiing and they have dreams of a medal usually. Mirai was 4th at the olympics. What an accomplishment. And obviously she is blessed with the support emotionally and financially to continue on. Good for her. I admit, I have not seen the progression I expected from her and the jumps ugh like Mao still not fixed but really good for her. I sometimes find her a little aloof or skating through the music but she is 10th in the world folks, 10th pretty amazing. And right now with Polina injured, Gracie have headcase issues there is a chacne she willbe goign to worlds again. And if not she hasa her education - go girl go!

Nathan13

Medalist
I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser's standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules

The gods may throw the dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain?
:sad21: Despite the technical flaws yesterday, I was tearing up at these lyrics. They were so poignant in this moment for Mirai. :cry:

stella luna

Final Flight
You can't expect journalists to ignore what skaters say at news conferences. They wouldn't be doing their jobs. Those kind of news conferences are pretty boring, anyway, and reporters relish anything to spice up their stories.

I think that both skaters continue, because they like skating. ;)

Both, are sadly American Ladies, more I don´t need to add I guess? The pressure that athletes face, the media attention and hordes of fans that all want to win gold and use you for it, must be incredible frustrating for a young athlete. There is a reason, why so many American child stars, collapse around 20 years of age, but nothing seems to change. It´s the system that is wrong, you are loved when you win, but trashed if you don´t. When Gracie once noted that people only asked her if she won gold at Sotchi, but not if she had fun or how it was in Russia... that´s just sad.
I really hope she has true friends, that don´t care about her as a skater and VIP, but a person, a teenager. It must be very hard for her, to just go to the beach and sit there, doing nothing. But I also have to question the media officials, who let the interviews run when they clearly know, that she is not having the best time.

A journalist, does not need to public each quote, some should remain hidden - but ya...

I wish both Ladies the best of luck, but I am afraid it will be incredible hard under the US American flag.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Are you aware that Mirai has been in college since last season?

She started the season quite well at her two Challengers.
She has NHK Trophy ahead of her. Skate Canada unfortunately was one step backward :ghug:, and I hope she now can take two steps forward.
Go, Mirai :yay:.

I didn't know Mirai was in college. Great news. Any details as to where?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't know Mirai was in college. Great news. Any details as to where?
I would guess University of Colorado since she trains out there. If I remember correctly she is going to school for international buisiness.