Wondering about why Nagasu continues?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What was really sad about this competition was the URs she got in her FS:

3f<+3t<, 3z!<, 3s<, 2a+2t+2t<, 3lo<<, 3f<, 2a+2t*

She got full credit for only two 2a and one 2t

Yet earlier in the season, and in late season events last year, she wasn't dinged nearly so badly:

3f+3t, 3z!, 3s, 2a+3t<, 3lo<↓, 1f, 2a 2016 Lombardia 3rd place
3f<+3t<<, 3z, 3s<, 2a+3t<, 3f!<, 2a+2t 2016 Skate Canada Autumn Challenge 2nd place

3f+3t, 3ze, 3s, 2a+3t+2t, 3lo, 3lo+2t, 2a 2016 Worlds 10th place
3f+3t, 3ze, 3s, 2a+3t+2t, 3lo, 3lo+2t, 2a 2016 4CC 2nd place

ks777

Record Breaker
To be fair, Mirai hasn't achieved her potential yet. She was much better then Ashley when they were juniors so I can see why she continues. I wondered about Mao in another thread since she achieved almost everything except for Gold at the Olympics. I know Mao wants to keep going and it's not of my business but I just don't want her to end up like Fumie Suguri.. who could hardly do a double jump at the end of her career. and Where is Fumie now? We hardly hear about the two time world medalist.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I didn't know Mirai was in college. Great news. Any details as to where?

I would guess University of Colorado since she trains out there. If I remember correctly she is going to school for international buisiness.

Sam is correct: Mirai is studying international business at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

If memory serves, I think I remember Tom Z (or someone else?) saying that Mirai gets straight As :bow:.

Adding to other positive comments about her skating this season:
- Mirai has the third-highest SP season's best so far.
- She is leading the rankings in the Challenger Series (with three of nine competitions remaining).​

Although Skate Canada obviously did not go well for her, I hope Mirai is holding her head high as she moves forward with her training.

brightphoton

Medalist
I know Mao wants to keep going and it's not of my business but I just don't want her to end up like Fumie Suguri.. who could hardly do a double jump at the end of her career. and Where is Fumie now? We hardly hear about the two time world medalist.

I checked Fumie Suguri and apparently she came out as bisexual. She was on one of those dating or matchmaking TV shows, and was considering a lesbian as her girlfriend.

Skaters like Fumie (and Yukari Nakano and Mao Asada and even Michelle Kwan) keep skating because they still want to achieve a goal. For Fumie and Yukari, perhaps they wanted a World gold medal or an Olympic medal. Mao Asada really wants an Olympic gold or a perfect Olympic performance. When they don't achieve those dreams, and they feel really sad for a while afterwards. But is that really so bad? What is so bad about trying really hard for a few years and spending lots of money chasing figure skating dreams? A skater's career is so short. It's only a few years and the costs are not that much, in the grand scheme of things.

I remember an interview with Tabitha Yim, a former gymnast who also did not achieve her dreams of a World medal, who eventually became a college athlete and now is a coach at a university.

Not everyone achieves their dreams and when I talk to my athletes now, I tell them I didn’t, but I’m okay. Just because you don’t, doesn’t mean you can’t be happy. You can always build new dreams and pursue them just as passionately.

Fumie didn't achieve her dream of becoming a World gold medalist, but now she's having a great time dating and maybe we'll see a wedding announcement soon.
Yukari Nakano didn't achieve her dream of going to the Olympics, but now she has a master's degree, great job, and got married.
Michelle never got her Olympic gold medal, but she is now a boardroom executive and political renaissance woman, and some lucky guy gets to be Mr. Michelle Kwan.

http://www.koreatimesus.com/the-most-decorated-gymnast-in-stanford-history-finds-peace-in-coaching/

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Fumie didn't achieve her dream of becoming a World gold medalist, but now she's having a great time dating and maybe we'll see a wedding announcement soon. Yukari Nakano didn't achieve her dream of going to the Olympics, but now she has a master's degree, great job, and got married. Michelle never got her Olympic gold medal, but she is now a boardroom executive and political renaissance woman, and some lucky guy gets to be Mr. Michelle Kwan.http://www.koreatimesus.com/the-most-decorated-gymnast-in-stanford-history-finds-peace-in-coaching/

I find it odd that you describe dating/marriage as some sort of equivalent "achievement" to winning a medal or having a career; really, most people do those things at the same time they are pursuing athletics, school or job. I can't imagine anyone saying: "Well, I didn't win a medal, but I did achieve my goal of having a romantic partner."

As for Michelle Kwan, she has been married for years to Clay Pell (of the political family that helped create Pell grants for college tuition). And he is no more known as "Mr. Kwan" than she is known as "Mrs. Pell."

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I gather from threads like this that as soon as a skater has one bad outing, it's time to throw in the towel. :slink:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It just looks to me as if Skate Canada resurrected the URs as a way of keeping Mirai from challenging their own ladies. That's why they encouraged the tech team to dump on the ladies as much as they wished to make it seem "fair".

ks777

Record Breaker
It just looks to me as if Skate Canada resurrected the URs as a way of keeping Mirai from challenging their own ladies. That's why they encouraged the tech team to dump on the ladies as much as they wished to make it seem "fair".
Yeah, some of Mirai's jump didn't look under rotated to me but Medvedeva wasn't called for her underrotation.

Mirai is in the perfect position to LIVE YOUR LYRICS, GIRL. Live your LP lyrics, because right now it's hard seeing you so tense, with no self confidence...

But you see, Mirai, the winner takes it alllllllllllllllllllLLLLLLLL oooooooh, give David Wilson a calllllllllll-LLLLLLLL!

It's elegant and polished choreography - now it needs her heart and soul. I hope she's able to make us all crying like babies with this program this year, because she's in a perfect position to buckle down and figure out how to make it happen right now. This week was all confidence with Mirai IMO.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

There was a plot to push down Mirai, and they hid it by also giving URs to skaters (such as Rika) from other countries?
Did this plot also cause these skaters to fall, pop, and do invalid extra 2ts? Really, can we just leave the conspiracy mindset to the U.S. election and leave it out of skating?

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh please - there is no plot to push Mirai down. Agree with Moxiejan. Mirai is her own plot. I think she gets nervous and then gets lazy about her landings. She is her own worst enemy - not the judges!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yeah, some of Mirai's jump didn't look under rotated to me but Medvedeva wasn't called for her underrotation.

In the long program, Medvedeva got a < on her axel and a ! on her lutz. Unless I saw it incorrectly, the only "clean" jumper in the LP was Elizaveta; everyone else (including Canadians) got some sort of mark; Osmond got a < on loop and ! on lutz. Tough to see how this was designed as a plot against Mirai in favor of the Canadians. There also were a lot of URs last week at Skate America. I think the tech panel has been instructed to really crack down this year.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
In the long program, Medvedeva got a < on her axel and a ! on her lutz. Unless I saw it incorrectly, the only "clean" jumper in the LP was Elizaveta; everyone else (including Canadians) got some sort of mark; Osmond got a < on lol and ! zone lutz. Tough to see how this was designed as a plot against Mirai in favor of the Canadians. There also were a lot of URs last week at Skate America. I think the tech panel has been instructed to really crack down this year.

https://imgflip.com/gif/1d7tbf

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope we don't have any more threads like this and here's why. Ross Miner and Grant Hochstein placed last and second to last at Skate Canada and no one has started a thread wondering why they continue. They are both National and World Team members and it seems they're getting a pass and I don't think it's fair. I was definitely disappointed with Mirai's performance but, I remember Alissa Czisny having some real disastrous performances between some of her spectacular performances.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was there over the weekend and I felt so badly for Mirai b/c she has the goods but something goes awry when she stepped on the ice for her programs (kind of like Gracie).

Her warm ups looked great with smooth rotated landings. I didn't go to the practices since they were so early in the day, so I can't comment on that. It seemed she just froze up. I saw her land her 3-3 in the long program (she landed near where I was sitting) and it looked rotated to me, she just started doubting herself with all of those two footed, UR jumps.

Later after the SP, I saw her in the hallway at the John Wilson table deep in conversation. Perhaps she needs new blades?

I'm going to say this was a fluke since it's so early in the season. Remember that she already won the gold at ACI with her PB short program. Post SC, Mirai posted on her IG that she was eating tiramasu and met with David Wilson. Perhaps they worked on more choreo for her long.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It takes courage to keep going after one failure, let alone many, and I have much more respect for athletes who don't give up and keep skating because it's something they want to do. Virtually every skater's career has plenty of ups and downs. The Yunas and Plushenkos are the rarest of breeds. If everyone quit just because they didn't get medals every time, who would be left for us to watch? It wouldn't be much of a competition. None of these skaters need to explain their personal motivation to any of us; it's their life and their career...end of story!

Icey

Record Breaker
IMHO, it is not the business of anyone other than Mirai (an adult) as to why she continues, how she pays for it or what else she should be doing with her life.

There is nothing wrong with being curious and people are going to be curious about things that is not their business whether it is appropriate or not.

moriel

Record Breaker
Mirai continues because she wants to.
I dont think she is being forced or anything, which means we should appreciate the fact she continues.