Wondering about why Nagasu continues? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Wondering about why Nagasu continues?

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
There is nothing wrong with being curious and people are going to be curious about things that is not their business whether it is appropriate or not.

There's nothing wrong with being curious; I'm curious about a lot of stuff that has been declared off-limits in this forum (such as speculation on skaters' romantic status). The issue is "appropriate or not": I happen to think that off-ice subjects belong in the "or not" category when they involve the skaters' private issues, especially concerning money. I think we should follow the same guidelines that we do with romance/sexuality: we don't speculate/criticize/advise UNLESS the skater has publicly brought up the issue, as Ashley did when she talked about leaving her parents' home and supporting herself.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish Mirai would change her FS to something else. The current one is just self-defeating and reeks of eating crow. Ugh! She was near the bottom of the standings when she skated it at SC, and it had to be a bitter pill to hear those words sung. No wonder her best effort just wasn't there.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Maybe she should skate to S.O.S. The board will explode reading into things.
Even if Mirai continues to be in the 4-10 group, it still help her in the long run. Look at Rockne Brubaker, Bryce Davidson, Stephania Berton, etc... at skate canada. If Mirai decided to become a coach, she'd be very popular.
Mirai thanks you for your concern, but she's fine.

ssffww

On the Ice
Actually, I think the technical calls in the ladies GP events thus far have been much better. Gracie, Ashley and Evgenia are getting called out for wrong edge take-offs (unlike most of last season) and Satoko is getting called for her under rotated jumps. How many of Mirai's < calls do you think were wrong?

Gracie and Evgenia perhaps. Ashley's lutz edge was called ! in all her international events last season (Skate Canada, NHK, Grand Prix final, Worlds). As it rightfully should be.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If Mirai decided to become a coach, she'd be very popular.

Aside from skating in shows, I don't foresee Mirai being heavily involved with skating after she retires. Based on what little we get to see as fans, I don't think she enjoys the competitive atmosphere of these events and it seems that it would be equally stressful (or even more so) to attend as a coach. Besides, she is in school studying a subject that will take her in a completely different direction.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wish Mirai would change her FS to something else. The current one is just self-defeating and reeks of eating crow. Ugh! She was near the bottom of the standings when she skated it at SC, and it had to be a bitter pill to hear those words sung. No wonder her best effort just wasn't there.

No. No. No. I LOVE her FS.

Violetti

On the Ice
Aside from skating in shows, I don't foresee Mirai being heavily involved with skating after she retires. Based on what little we get to see as fans, I don't think she enjoys the competitive atmosphere of these events and it seems that it would be equally stressful (or even more so) to attend as a coach. Besides, she is in school studying a subject that will take her in a completely different direction.

What does she study? It is always interesting to hear what else interests skaters besides skating.

miki88

Medalist
I see this type of thread pop up every season. On the bright side, it does show a lot of fans still care about Mirai. I know Fumie Suguri is used as a example for skaters to not continue on forever, but I think she's an exception to the norm. She competed for so long without a set goal. I mean props to her for doing what she liked for as long as possible. However, I don't recall any current skaters saying they will continue for as long as physically possible or set no deadline. Mao has more or less stated 2018 would be her last season, whether or not she goes to the Olympics. Mirai is still relatively young; Ashley is older than she is, so it's not impossible for her to have a comeback. In her case, I do think it's still early to call it quits.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie and Evgenia perhaps. Ashley's lutz edge was called ! in all her international events last season (Skate Canada, NHK, Grand Prix final, Worlds). As it rightfully should be.

Ah you're right. I'm not sure why I thought it was being overlooked for Ashley. Accurate calling is sure to benefit skaters like Courtney, who has almost never has issues with wrong-edge takeoffs or <. I'm doubtful that we'll see such calling at Nationals because the USFSA will certainly want to send Ashley and Gracie to worlds with astronomically high scores.

kalle

On the Ice
Actually, I think the technical calls in the ladies GP events thus far have been much better. Gracie, Ashley and Evgenia are getting called out for wrong edge take-offs (unlike most of last season) and Satoko is getting called for her under rotated jumps. How many of Mirai's < calls do you think were wrong?

I thought the first Flip and the Salchow looked roated.. Not saying it would helped a lot point wise as all her other landings looked very tight here..

3F/3t <
3Z !
3S
2A/2T/2T
3L <<
3F <
2A/2T (dont remember if she actually added a 2T to her last 2A?)

I believe there will be a completely different Mirai showing up in Japan.. For sure, it seems like she will always be prone to UR some of her jumps but by Nationals, they tend to look better than in the beginning of the season..

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is 25 and Mirai is 23---not that big an age difference, at least relative to where they are in figure skating. At 23, Mirai is probably not going to develop technically any further than where she is right now. The best she can do is to hone away the rough edges, which is the URs and the double-footing, develop more speed, and work hard on showing more expression. If Mirai can do that, she certainly can come back from her SC debacle.

SC was rough for lots of skaters, especially the Americans (Chock/Bates excepted).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley is 25 and Mirai is 23---not that big an age difference, at least relative to where they are in figure skating. At 23, Mirai is probably not going to develop technically any further than where she is right now. The best she can do is to hone away the rough edges, which is the URs and the double-footing, develop more speed, and work hard on showing more expression. If Mirai can do that, she certainly can come back from her SC debacle.

Also, Ashley made her big breakthrough in 2012, winning Nationals and 4CC with 4th place at Worlds. She was 20. Every since, she has consistently medaled at almost every GP/GPF event, winning five. WSM was a big breakthrough but it was the culmination of 5 strong seasons. If Mirai does make a comeback, her career trajectory will look nothing like Ashley's.

ssffww

On the Ice
Ah you're right. I'm not sure why I thought it was being overlooked for Ashley. Accurate calling is sure to benefit skaters like Courtney, who has almost never has issues with wrong-edge takeoffs or <. I'm doubtful that we'll see such calling at Nationals because the USFSA will certainly want to send Ashley and Gracie to worlds with astronomically high scores.

Yep, nationals tends to ignore edge calls on most skaters. However, last year both Ashley and Gracie scored higher at Worlds than either did at Nationals. Deservedly so, because they both had much better programs at Worlds. It's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes. Mirai has shown us clean triple axles in practice. If she ever pulls one off successfully in competition that could be a game changer. And Mariah Bell is looking strong this season. I hope US nationals gives everyone a fair shake.

Celine

On the Ice
The post season teams will be interesting. As Mirai is testament to, 4th does not mean you don't get to go to the big championship events. Ashley usually passes on Four Continents. There's room for more than just the top 3 in the second half of the season, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing Mirai very much in the mix.

Icey

Record Breaker
Both of her programs have choreographers who are known to do difficult programs. I wonder if that played a role in her performance.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play

The winner takes it all
The loser's standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny

I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules

The gods may throw the dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain?

This set of lyrics omits a line that really stands out, indeed jumps out, in Mirai's program: The judges will decide.

David or others surely must have talked to Mirai about how to handle this line when she's not skating her best. But to me, whatever the strategy is isn't working. This music just gives off a totally wrong vibe for me, whether she's skating the program well or not. But we all have different taste in music and how literal or how subtle we like programs to be. Theoretically it's possible Mirai could make this work even when she's not skating her best, but expression isn't her forte, so it all seems like an enormous gamble.

Well, I suppose it could be a counterintuitive strategy to make sure Mirai does skate the program well at the competitions when it counts. I'd love to hear David Wilson address this at some point.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yep, nationals tends to ignore edge calls on most skaters. However, last year both Ashley and Gracie scored higher at Worlds than either did at Nationals. Deservedly so, because they both had much better programs at Worlds. It's going to be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes. Mirai has shown us clean triple axles in practice. If she ever pulls one off successfully in competition that could be a game changer. And Mariah Bell is looking strong this season. I hope US nationals gives everyone a fair shake.

I think that is wishful thinking, since Mirai has many UR problems with her jumping... Would she really be able to fully rotate the most difficult one in a competition???

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think that is wishful thinking, since Mirai has many UR problems with her jumping... Would she really be able to fully rotate the most difficult one in a competition???

Even if she did, would she be able to rotate the additional 6 triples that she would need to win a big event? It's quite a bit of a different situation than Liza, who had displayed a complete mastery of all the triples before introducing the 3A. Mirai achieving a 3A but then rotating another triple or two in a LP won't help her much at all.