Javier Fernandez | Page 137 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Yes, I am longing to see whether Sara and Kirill can create "it" factor. I am not surprise that both D/R and H/D will join the case of the show, as Eric's boyfriend is Luis Fenero and Madison is dating Adria :biggrin: Anyway, it is a great cast consist of world champions in each discipline. I am just curious how they are going to arrange the stage for the live band & performers in a round rink. The price for the tickets are very fair, much cheaper than those of Japanese shows.

Canadians also seem to treat Javi as honorary Canadian ;) I'm also happy he invited skaters from other disciplines like Pairs! It's such underrated discipline, especially in smaller countries (and Japan). I think Anna & Luca are great choice too, they always have super entertaining EX programs! Btw. Do you think that Spanish Pair couple was also invited?

honghe

On the Ice
he has beautiful lean muscular body:love: he sometimes joked about how petite figures of these young up comers are, "they are half my size", as matter of fact, he is not big at all;)

I think he also joked that they were half his age in an interview:laugh:
Well Javi, you are neither tall nor big at all especially if we compare you to guys in other disciplines:laugh: I think it's only fair to repost this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BD7YXMaoHrE/ :laugh:

Yes, I am longing to see whether Sara and Kirill can create "it" factor. I am not surprise that both D/R and H/D will join the case of the show, as Eric's boyfriend is Luis Fenero and Madison is dating Adria :biggrin: Anyway, it is a great cast consist of world champions in each discipline. I am just curious how they are going to arrange the stage for the live band & performers in a round rink. The price for the tickets are very fair, much cheaper than those of Japanese shows.

And if I am not mistaken, Zach is dating Olivia.

evergreen

On the Ice
I think he also joked that they were half his age in an interview:laugh:
Well Javi, you are neither tall nor big at all especially if we compare you to guys in other disciplines:laugh: I think it's only fair to repost this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BD7YXMaoHrE/ :laugh:

Good photo, or Javi can take a photo sitting on Bruno Massot's laps :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMfxpxlDFZn/?tagged=cor16

And if I am not mistaken, Zach is dating Olivia.

I don't know that, but did Zach date Madison some years ago? What a love nest Montreal ice dancing school has became :rolleye:

evergreen

On the Ice
Canadians also seem to treat Javi as honorary Canadian ;)

Yes, he is cited by some of renown Canadian skaters like Kurt Browning as an "adopted Canadian", he was the only "foreign" skater of CSOI 2016 cast
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMzXkfOha-Q/?taken-by=yvonnefin

I'm also happy he invited skaters from other disciplines like Pairs! It's such underrated discipline, especially in smaller countries (and Japan). I think Anna & Luca are great choice too, they always have super entertaining EX programs! Btw. Do you think that Spanish Pair couple was also invited?

I understand that Japan has a long figure skating history and its skating federation is one of the strongest in ISU, but somehow their male skaters are reluctant to try pair discipline, and those female skaters who are brave enough to compete in pair skating are unable to find partners in their own country; since it is very difficult to get Japanese citizenship, they have to represent other skating federations in international competitions, i.e. Yuko Kavaguti, Rena Inoue.

In addition, I assume that the skills for pair skating are more complicated, small federations and countries like Japan with little pair skating tradition do not have right coaches to train world-class skaters for this particular discipline.

honghe

On the Ice
Good photo, or Javi can take a photo sitting on Bruno Massot's laps :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMfxpxlDFZn/?tagged=cor16

:laugh: Javi does look small in comparison

What a love nest Montreal ice dancing school has became :rolleye:
And a nice place for puppy lovers, too:luv17:
Would hate to go :eek:topic: again but in case anyone loves cute puppies: https://www.instagram.com/pugglebuddies/
Madison and Adri have one, too: https://www.instagram.com/supernovadh/

(Sorry Javi, I adore cats, too, but I am more of a dog person than a cat person:laugh:)

evergreen

On the Ice
And a nice place for puppy lovers, too:luv17:

they are cute :love:
Would hate to go :eek:topic: again but in case anyone loves cute puppies: https://www.instagram.com/pugglebuddies/
Madison and Adri have one, too: https://www.instagram.com/supernovadh/

(Sorry Javi, I adore cats, too, but I am more of a dog person than a cat person:laugh:)

Me too, cannot stay in the same room with a cat, so allergic to cats:( Javi definitely a cat person, otherwise his ex would not give him a cat as a gift :laugh:

I am curious that considering all the long-distance travel & competitions overseas, who are going to take care of these puppies during their absence

honghe

On the Ice
Me too, cannot stay in the same room with a cat, so allergic to cats:( Javi definitely a cat person, otherwise his ex would not give him a cat as a gift :laugh:

I am curious that considering all the long-distance travel & competitions overseas, who are going to take care of these puppies during their absence

I think Ronni (the cat in Madrid) has been with his family for quite some years, so he's probably always loved cats:laugh:. Javi even mentioned a few years ago that if he's ever going to get another tatoo it would be his cat.
I am curious, too. I guess they must have friends who can look after the puppies when they are away? Or maybe they can send the puppies to a boarding kennel...
I believe someone also needs to look after Effie when Javi is not in Toronto. But cats in general are easier to take care of than dogs (i.e. you don't have to walk cats.)

:eek:topic: Re: pair skating, I don't know whether the team event in the Olympics is here to stay, but if they are keeping the team event, maybe more federations will feel motivated to develop disciplines like pairs and/or ice dance (in some cases)? Right now it looks like Canada and the US are probably the favorites for the team event in 2018, given that they don't have a discipline that is too weak.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I think Ronni (the cat in Madrid) has been with his family for quite some years, so he's probably always loved cats:laugh:. Javi even mentioned a few years ago that if he's ever going to get another tatoo it would be his cat.

Yes, I remembered that, he was considering get another tatoo in future if one of them "dies"

I believe someone also needs to look after Effie when Javi is not in Toronto. But cats in general are easier to take care of than dogs (i.e. you don't have to walk cats.)

Yes, you can leave cats by themselves so long as there are sufficient food, water, and sands, but dogs cannot, dog hotels could manage them for a short while but not for a long term, they will miss their family terribly:(

:eek:topic: Re: pair skating, I don't know whether the team event in the Olympics is here to stay, but if they are keeping the team event, maybe more federations will feel motivated to develop disciplines like pairs and/or ice dance (in some cases)? Right now it looks like Canada and the US are probably the favorites for the team event in 2018, given that they don't have a discipline that is too weak.

I would say Canada has the edge for the team event in 18' , since they have world champions in three disciplines, and their ladies are not weak at all.

It is almost impossible to develop pair skating within a short period term, though what Bin Yao did for Chinese pair team was amazing; however, they are funded by governments and there are rules to make the pair skaters to stick together or rematch partners as per instructions of the chief coach; it is unlikely to duplicate such regime to other federations, i.e. there were a lot of promising pair teams in U.S. which did not last enough to let the partnership develop.

honghe

On the Ice
Yes, you can leave cats by themselves so long as there are sufficient food, water, and sands, but dogs cannot, dog hotels could manage them for a short while but not for a long term, they will miss their family terribly:(

Some cats miss their families, too. A friend's cat would really really miss her even when she's away for just two or three days. But that cat is one of the most dog-like cats I've ever met.:laugh:
I do hope someone can take good care of Effie when Javi is not in Toronto.

I would say Canada has the edge for the team event in 18' , since they have world champions in three disciplines, and their ladies are not weak at all.

It is almost impossible to develop pair skating within a short period term, though what Bin Yao did for Chinese pair team was amazing; however, they are funded by governments and there are rules to make the pair skaters to stick together or rematch partners as per instructions of the chief coach; it is unlikely to duplicate such regime to other federations, i.e. there were a lot of promising pair teams in U.S. which did not last enough to let the partnership develop.

I'd love for Canada to win the team event in 2018:biggrin:
Yes, how the Chinese pairs developed was nothing short of amazing. Though I still have my doubts about whether their decisions made during this off season were the best ones... I guess we shall see.
In theory I wish skaters can make their own decision on whom they want to skate with, but there have also been times when I really wished a team could have lasted longer... (And that goes for ice dance, too, e.g. I/K and Sara/Adri...)

evergreen

On the Ice
Some cats miss their families, too. A friend's cat would really really miss her even when she's away for just two or three days. But that cat is one of the most dog-like cats I've ever met.:laugh:
I do hope someone can take good care of Effie when Javi is not in Toronto.

What an interesting cat :laugh:

Javi said some friend would look after Effie if he is not around. I assume that they will miss each other very much during off-seasons.

I'd love for Canada to win the team event in 2018:biggrin:

No matter what, Canada, U.S.A. and Russia will share the podium for the team event, which makes the competitions less appealing, except the majority of the skaters will have the opportunity to collect Olympics hardware which they may never be able to get in the individual discipline.

Yes, how the Chinese pairs developed was nothing short of amazing. Though I still have my doubts about whether their decisions made during this off season were the best ones... I guess we shall see.

:eek:topic:I love Yu/Jin, their body alignments and presence on ice resemble old/classic Russian pair skaters, which is very rare & precious. TBH, I hate the nowadays pair programs packaged with difficult elements, odd lift positions, meaningless transitions, while in short of unique harmony between man and woman.

In theory I wish skaters can make their own decision on whom they want to skate with, but there have also been times when I really wished a team could have lasted longer... (And that goes for ice dance, too, e.g. I/K and Sara/Adri...)

perhaps the award at stake may be not substantial enough to keep these skaters together, i.e. I always think that there is nothing more eye-popping & dramatic than the soap opera among the ice dance teams, Grishuk/Platov & Usova/Zhulin, despite of the on-going affair between Pasha & Sasha and later divorce, U/Z had remained as a team to compete and perform as professional skaters for years after 98' Olympics when they switched partners, partly because they could earn very decent money for doing shows/competing in pro-am competitions in 90s'.

As to the split of I/K, here is another interview of Morozov on the breakup drama, in which I seriously consider that Morozov must be half-drunk when gave the interview. He has been quite some time after Sochi, except the emotional scene at 16' Euro for Florent Amodio FS.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...econd-best-quality-for-a-woman-to-have.99818/

BTW, I just finished watching TSL newest recap on TDF, where John Kerr is the guest host. (BTW, I like the SP & LP he did for S/M and the French team J/C this season). John recalled Morozov's training camp in NJ several years ago where his students had to fight to gain his attention, because of his random style of coach, and Javi just got lost in the middle of chaos. What a compliment he named Javi "out generation of Kurt Browning", and this was concurred by PJ Kwong in the "Behind Board" live chat with Kurt recapping TDF.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Was the puddle as glaring in the arena as it seemed to us? I wasn't there, but I definitely think that THAT was the main reason why he was a little surprised and couldn't jump well...If you look at his face when he turns to face the board, and the pond, you could see that something wasn't working....that's my theory:think:

I don't see how the puddle could possibly be a surprise to any skater - it was quite visible... Plus even if it did not exist during the warm-up period, the skaters come to ice directly after the previous one comes off ice and they are on the ice a couple of minutes (the time it takes to score the previous skater) before starting their programs. Javi did a couple of rounds around the rink, so he was well aware of the situation. In the interview he said that he just lost his balance (the wobble was plain to see even during the excitement of the competition) and that was that. Had it been practice, he would have aborted the jump and tried again, but in competition you just have to go for it and hope for the best (again, paraphrasing Javi). But it must have been quite unpleasant to fall on the water :curse: We were wondering whether that edge of the ice was somehow softer or otherwise not premium quality because quite a few skaters made their biggest mistakes there.

Couple of old photos popped up: with Adam and Johnny Weir https://www.instagram.com/p/BMzmR_ChnHo/ , Morozov days https://twitter.com/suica_ice/status/798988749367431168?lang=fi

Plus one more from Paris, with Misha Ge: https://www.instagram.com/p/BM5dQvADKVo/

Looking forward to reading the book! Like Honghe, I'm going to be reading Spanish based on my Italian (and a bit of Latin), so it'll be an interesting experience... Just listening the TSL recap (loved the Kerrs in their time!), the Icenetwork IceTalk recap is also up, but they talked mostly about Chen and Rippon with nothing particularly interesting on Javi.

E

agataquiroga

Rinkside

In reality, Javi is allergic to cats, but he says he usually feels really homesick, so at the end he has cats in Canada and in Spain as house mates :agree2:

honghe

On the Ice
That interview with Morozov isn't for real, is it? Looks like people at FSU made this up as a joke, and cited their source as abstinence.ru, which does not really exist.
But Morozov's real interviews sometimes also sound as if he were drunk/crazy/both... :scard8:
It was indeed quite touching to see him with Florent at Euros 2016, though.

I was so afraid of people's costumes getting wet! It must not be very comfortable for anyone to finish a program in wet costume... I guess the skaters were not surprised during their programs. Things like that happen at competitions sometimes, and I also think it was probably not the first time some of them had to deal with this kind of ice.
eppen, was the ice also not very good at other times that weekend, or was the puddle only there during the evening of the FS?

Re: cats. I guess someone must really be a cat lover if he has cats at home despite his allergy.:laugh: Effie seems to be quite loving (for a cat:laugh:) judging by the pictures she's willing to take:laugh: Hopefully she can help Javi deal with the homesickness:yes:

I watched the TDF recap with Kurt and PJ, and will try to find time to watch the TSL one tomorrow!

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I don't see how the puddle could possibly be a surprise to any skater - it was quite visible... Plus even if it did not exist during the warm-up period, the skaters come to ice directly after the previous one comes off ice and they are on the ice a couple of minutes (the time it takes to score the previous skater) before starting their programs. Javi did a couple of rounds around the rink, so he was well aware of the situation. In the interview he said that he just lost his balance (the wobble was plain to see even during the excitement of the competition) and that was that. Had it been practice, he would have aborted the jump and tried again, but in competition you just have to go for it and hope for the best (again, paraphrasing Javi). But it must have been quite unpleasant to fall on the water :curse: We were wondering whether that edge of the ice was somehow softer or otherwise not premium quality because quite a few skaters made their biggest mistakes there.

Thank you for the follow-up, eppen. I guess the skaters have to get used to all sorts of ice condition, since they are not going to compete at training-base ice.

Since Javi changed to his casual wear after his FS competition and went to the stand watching the 2nd ladies' FS, I am curious whether he could managed to dry his costume before medal ceremony; it would be definitely uncomfortable to wear soaked clothes.

On a side note, Patrick mentioned the icetalk ep. 6 that Brian told him right after his SP, that his SP outfit is almost identical to Javi's; as such, Brian wanted to give him a heads up in case of any confusions :biggrin:

evergreen

On the Ice
Re: cats. I guess someone must really be a cat lover if he has cats at home despite his allergy.:laugh: Effie seems to be quite loving (for a cat:laugh:) judging by the pictures she's willing to take:laugh: Hopefully she can help Javi deal with the homesickness:yes:

When he lives alone, far away from his family, it must feel good to have a pet who can interact with him, i.e. greeting him when he returns to home.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I love that he is a cat person... when I read he had a cat, even in Toronto, I think that made me like him more than pretty much anything else he could have done, lol!!!

honghe

On the Ice
Well he is a cat person and I am a dog person.
He is a Real Madrid fan and I like Barca.
But I still like it when he talks about his cats or fanboys over Real Madrid... Does this make me a person with no principle? :laugh:

evergreen

On the Ice
Well he is a cat person and I am a dog person.
He is a Real Madrid fan and I like Barca.
But I still like it when he talks about his cats or fanboys over Real Madrid... Does this make me a person with no principle? :laugh:

I don't think so, your principle is his long, curly Eyelashes :laugh:

I was watching 12' worlds men group 5 SP last night, this was the first time I watched the competition on youtube, I almost forgot that Yuzu and Javi were in the same group, both of them were so young back then.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I don't think so, your principle is his long, curly Eyelashes :laugh:

I was watching 12' worlds men group 5 SP last night, this was the first time I watched the competition on youtube, I almost forgot that Yuzu and Javi were in the same group, both of them were so young back then.

Time goes by so fast, they are the only two skaters of that group who are still competing :sad14: They were just on the rise back then and now they are the top 2 in the world :yes2:
And can I say that, although I wasn't much of a fan of Javi's costumes that season, that yellow sweater made him stand out? And was it then that his loving relationship with suspenders started? :biggrin:

Last edited: