Javier Fernandez | Page 139 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

honghe

On the Ice
Thank you agataquiroga, eppen, and evergreen for the links!

I think Javi can cook. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that if he wants to cook something but doesn't know how, he'd find a time to have a Skype session with his mom while cooking :laugh:
(But I'm sure Javi doesn't mind to be on a program where he can just eat food and make comments ;) )

reneerose

Final Flight
Speaking of Boitano, he posted this clip from the rehearsal for the benefit show for the Scott Hamilton CARES Foundation: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNALZTdAc_q/
LOL, it's like Brian had his camera phone on Javi and passes him over (sort of what Misha Ge did to Javi at the beginning of the Gala Mannequin Challenge from Rostelecom Cup the other week)

That would be funny....coached by Orser in skating, coached by Boitano in food? :laugh:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Oh yeah, he had that gig last night - here's the program. He did a solo to Sheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen" https://www.instagram.com/p/BNDZK9-B7fm/ (I wonder if this was the reason he could not even consider Cup of China as a GP assignment?)

The Boitano vid at least caught him for longer than anyone else... The Mannequin Challenge in Paris; well, Javi just completely missed his chance - he did not pose at all. It all happened quite fast and he seemed to be working with Misha in placing the other skaters first and by the time Misha began to video, Javi was unprepared for his own part. So he just stood by Hubbell & Donohue who were at the far edge of the group...

E

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
My understanding of Amrican Football is even less than Javi :laugh: I still can't understand why it's even called Football if they use hands, but I guess it's European thing :p Javi is doing so many shows! And good to see Kerrs will be performing ;) I hope he'll have time to prepare well for GPF. It's not that far away after all....

evergreen

On the Ice
Javi is doing so many shows!........ I hope he'll have time to prepare well for GPF. It's not that far away after all....

Javi usually takes weekends off, since the show was on Sunday, it may be Ok for him to do this show, but I doubt whether he is able to do so next season, everything has to give away for Olympics...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Javi usually takes weekends off, since the show was on Sunday, it may be Ok for him to do this show, but I doubt whether he is able to do so next season, everything has to give away for Olympics...

Yeah, I know he has weekends off, but he need to prepare for this, right? I mean he takes some timee he would normally be practising for show and he won't rest as much as usually does, but I guess he knows best what he can and what he can't do :) I also doubt next season, he'll be doing as much shows as he is doing now. And I really wish next season instead of doing Japan Open, he would do a Challenger.

evergreen

On the Ice
Yeah, I know he has weekends off, but he need to prepare for this, right? I mean he takes some timee he would normally be practising for show and he won't rest as much as usually does, but I guess he knows best what he can and what he can't do :) I also doubt next season, he'll be doing as much shows as he is doing now. And I really wish next season instead of doing Japan Open, he would do a Challenger.

The rehearsal may take a day or two? Skating shows nowadays do not have the luxury to do pro-longed preparation and rehearsal. Plus, Javi is a fast learner and he can picks up choreography easily. I am thinking that the big show in Madrid may take him much more time to organize and prepare, as he is the producer and the leading cast.

I hope that he will not do many shows during the next off-season so as to better prepared for Olympics' season, which starts earlier than regular seasons. He did a lot shows in the summer of 2013 to raise the training costs he needed for 13-14 season, which sort of affected his preparation for Sochi Olympics.

Javi had not competed in a senior B competition since 2012-13 season, in his recent IFS interview, he said that he likes to debut his season at Japan Open, which is always hold in a big arena packed with audience.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The rehearsal may take a day or two? Skating shows nowadays do not have the luxury to do pro-longed preparation and rehearsal. Plus, Javi is a fast learner and he can picks up choreography easily. I am thinking that the big show in Madrid may take him much more time to organize and prepare, as he is the producer and the leading cast.

I hope that he will not do many shows during the next off-season so as to better prepared for Olympics' season, which starts earlier than regular seasons. He did a lot shows in the summer of 2013 to raise the training costs he needed for 13-14 season, which sort of affected his preparation for Sochi Olympics.

Javi had not competed in a senior B competition since 2012-13 season, in his recent IFS interview, he said that he likes to debut his season at Japan Open, which is always hold in a big arena packed with audience.

I know the Madrid ahow will take more time from him. But Europeans nowadays seems easier to win, than GPF :p I'm sure Japan Open is nice place to open season, but that doesn't change that I think it would be better to do a Challenger next year. Japan Open won't give him proper feedback on his programs, as there is no SP and it's not ISU competition. Btw. Shoma Uno has done both Challenger and Japan Open this season, so maybe doing it that way?

evergreen

On the Ice
I know the Madrid ahow will take more time from him. But Europeans nowadays seems easier to win, than GPF :p I'm sure Japan Open is nice place to open season, but that doesn't change that I think it would be better to do a Challenger next year. Japan Open won't give him proper feedback on his programs, as there is no SP and it's not ISU competition. Btw. Shoma Uno has done both Challenger and Japan Open this season, so maybe doing it that way?

It is true that his main competitors are from 4CC but I think that he will still give 100% effort to Euros.

As to senior B events, it may depend on when Javi will be able to return to training. Javi is always very open to advice, but according to my observation, most of elite single skaters have their own stubbornness and as long as they have made up their mind, it is very difficult to persuade them to change the decision; Javi did not take Brian's various advice heading to Sochi Olympics.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It is true that his main competitors are from 4CC but I think that he will still give 100% effort to Euros.

As to senior B events, it may depend on when Javi will be able to return to training. Javi is always very open to advice, but according to my observation, most of elite single skaters have their own stubbornness and as long as they have made up their mind, it is very difficult to persuade them to change the decision; Javi did not take Brian's various advice heading to Sochi Olympics.

I thought it's Yuzuru who's more stubborn one! What didn't he listen to Brain about before Sochi?

evergreen

On the Ice
I thought it's Yuzuru who's more stubborn one! What didn't he listen to Brain about before Sochi?

Brian told him not to compete at Spanish National; and stay in TCC for an extra two-week of training, skipping the open ceremony, since he did not need to compete at the team event, but Javi went to Sochi before the open ceremony so as he could participate in the parade as the flag bearer.

I agree that Yuzuru appears to be the more stubborn one, but Javi did not lack of stubbornness and single-minded strength.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Brian told him to not to compete at Spanish National; and stay in TCC for an extra two-week of training, skipping the open ceremony, since he did not need to compete at the team event, but Javi went to Sochi before the open ceremony so as he could participate in the parade as the flag bearer.

I agree that Yuzuru appears to be the more stubborn one, but Javi did not lack of stubbornness and single-minded strength.

I understand why Jvi wanted to be flag bearer, oh well. And he was going to Sochi anyway. But I would skip Nationals, yeah. I can see why Brian advised him that, especially since he had Europeans soon and most good skaters skip 4CC altogether before Olympics, so less traveling for them. Really curious how his schedule will look like next season...

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I understand why Jvi wanted to be flag bearer, oh well. And he was going to Sochi anyway. But I would skip Nationals, yeah. I can see why Brian advised him that, especially since he had Europeans soon and most good skaters skip 4CC altogether before Olympics, so less traveling for them. Really curious how his schedule will look like next season...

Yes, it is very hard for any one to turn down the offer to carry the national flag at the Olympics' open ceremony. Perhaps Brian knew Javi's condition very well and thought that he would have be benefited from the extra week of training at the home base.

As far as I understand, Javi's team has already prepared to pace his condition towards 18' Olympics, though Javi said in various interviews that he would focus the competition on the current season.

honghe

On the Ice
Oh yeah, he had that gig last night - here's the program. He did a solo to Sheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen" https://www.instagram.com/p/BNDZK9-B7fm/ (I wonder if this was the reason he could not even consider Cup of China as a GP assignment?)

Thanks, eppen, for the link to the program list!
I think Javi could not consider CoC anyways, as CoC would definitely have Boyang, and a GP event is not allowed to have more than one current World medalist.

I hope that he will not do many shows during the next off-season so as to better prepared for Olympics' season, which starts earlier than regular seasons.

Yes, the clip Boitano posted on Saturday said "first day of rehearsals" and the show was on Sunday, so they only had two days. Plus Nashville is not a long flight away and there's only an hour of time difference between Nashville and Toronto, so the travel should be relatively easy with virtually no jet lag issue.
It seems that Javi won't do Art on Ice this season, so maybe he actually does less shows this season than last.

I, too, hope he won't do too many shows in the summer. Hopefully he will have some good rest and start preparation for the Olympic season in the best possible health condition.

I'm sure Japan Open is nice place to open season, but that doesn't change that I think it would be better to do a Challenger next year. Japan Open won't give him proper feedback on his programs, as there is no SP and it's not ISU competition. Btw. Shoma Uno has done both Challenger and Japan Open this season, so maybe doing it that way?
I also think it might be a good idea to do a Challenger next season and get feedback on both his SP and FS. (And it seems that unlike this season, next season he will have a new SP, so getting feedback is kind of important.)
On the other hand, since Javi is probably quite used to how his recent seasons are paced now, I also hope that they are thoughtful enough when changing things for the Olympic season, so that the new changes will help him instead of throw him off.