The latest on Gracie Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She also didn't help her cause. As a comparison, when Max finished his bad skate, he forced a smile. When they first showed him on the video screen in the kiss and cry, he mouthed "I'm sorry" to the crowd and then got applause as I think most people didn't want him to apologize. Gracie didn't even try to smile when she bowed.

:sad4: Max apologising was so sad.

brightphoton

Medalist
Sorry for my ignorance :hopelessness: and thx for filling me in :thank:.
I knew the excerpt in the tweet was from Brennan ... but had never clicked on the full story.
Too many different Nats stories (team selection, etc.) to try to keep up with :drama: :laugh:.

In any case, the fact that Gracie was in the team jacket later when sabinfire stumbled upon her suggests to me that earning a Team USA jacket still is meaningful to her and will continue to be.

I'm the same way. These days, I usually only read the headlines too :D it has to be a really special topic for me to actually read a 300 word article

TGee

Record Breaker
Unless there was some clause regarding his ability to make comments he violated nothing, and if there is something in whatever contract there is between them that limits his free speech he could fight it as a violation of his constitutional rights. All he said to the press (quote below) was that there will be a change once everything is worked out legally, what he might've been doing is forcing everyone's hand to let him out of the contract because he's publicly stated he wanted out. Not only does this 'force' Gracie to move on, but the USFSA can't try to force them to stay together through next year.

Struggling with this....lot's of employee/employer and service provider/client relationships have limits of disclosure of information and obligations around communications. And while he's not under health professionals ethics guidelines, one wonders if there is not a USFSA guideline on this point for coaches...

And....find myself repeating this again and again, as an elite coach it was part of his job...mandate...mission...to manage her media relations....so until that contract is legally terminated, which his comments indicate it hasn't, I suspect he is likely violating some kind of undertaking to manage her image in the media in her best interests....

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
Unless there was some clause regarding his ability to make comments he violated nothing, and if there is something in whatever contract there is between them that limits his free speech he could fight it as a violation of his constitutional rights. All he said to the press (quote below) was that there will be a change once everything is worked out legally, what he might've been doing is forcing everyone's hand to let him out of the contract because he's publicly stated he wanted out. Not only does this 'force' Gracie to move on, but the USFSA can't try to force them to stay together through next year.

I think you misread my post.

He is allowed to make comments about it and there likely isn't a clause that takes away his right to free speech but I bet that an athlete's contract stipulates under what circumstances a coach/skater can end a coaching relationship effective immediately. A legally binding contract for someone as experienced as Frank will likely be long and contain several clauses protecting him and reduce his liability in case of injury, media etc. He is protecting himself and I bet Gracie is smart enough to get a second opinion to protect herself with her own lawyer taking a look. If he says that it must be worked out intelligently and legally, then the contract likely outlines how the contract can come to an end. His statement to the media prior to informing Gracie likely puts him in a spot where they might have to involve lawyers working out the agreement, so I think it is indication that he was not on her side.

I am glad they split and Gracie could possibly find a new direction, but I don't think Frank was supporting her as much as she claimed in the interview.

Even if your theory about Frank forcing his hand to be let go, that would also demonstrate he wasn't 100% supportive of her.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Gracie didn't sound depressed in the interview with the press taken just after the free skate. She nailed the first triple-triple combination but doubled a couple of triple jumps, which lowered her total score significantly even without a fall. In her good days, she would have made most of these triple jumps but she may be a little bit rusty in this season or she doesn't have enough mental energy to perform a long program cleanly. Not everything is lost and she would renewed for the next season and get back to the Olympic team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eB8-1DsbkI

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless there was some clause regarding his ability to make comments he violated nothing, and if there is something in whatever contract there is between them that limits his free speech he could fight it as a violation of his constitutional rights.

NO! The First Amendment covers the GOVERNMENT making laws regarding speech. People can and do enter into contracts voluntarily and legally ALL THE TIME that limit their freedom of speech. A Non Disclosure Agreement is a really common one.

cinnamon

On the Ice
All I can think of Gracie is it was better for her to be a gymnast. Yes, she can jump, but beside technical things, there is a thing coaches can't teach - a skater must feel the music.

yuzushenko

On the Ice
apparently she threw the vest at him onto the floor and he just looked at it without picking it up
she expected him to catch it or pick it up or something and i guess she told him to throw it away and so he did

that is extremely rude
i can see why frank would have said those things, he must have been really frustrated. that frustration probably bubbled up or something. and the way she completely ignores him before taking the ice every single time. basic eye contact is a basic politeness. i dont care how polite she might sound to the press but actions speak just as loudly as words.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But every skater who ever stepped foot on competitive ice has had to deal with this reality. A skater can do everything right - train smart, eat right, practice hard, make innumerable sacrifices - and it can all turn to ashes with one spot of bad luck. They can be sidelined with injuries, get the flu on the eve of an important competition, miss that jump they land 99 percent of the time in practice. Skaters can punish their bodies for endless hours in freezing rinks and devastate the family finances, then have their dreams crushed when their skate hits a rut, or they slip on a piece of debris that has fallen onto the ice. Or maybe they skate great, but are thrown under the bus by the judges.

I find it awe-inspiring that competitive skaters are willing to roll the dice, sacrificing so much, with no guarantee of a just reward. I'm amazed that most of them somehow come to terms with the heart-breaking capriciousness of the sport. And those who can't come to terms, probably should consider finding a more rewarding way to spend their lives.

Skaters who love skating because they love skating. It's true of many things in life: you're better off if you love what you do because you love doing it, not because of the external rewards, which may be elusive. I've heard Gracie say she likes the athleticism of skating. I get that she loves landing her jumps. But when she misses a jump, she lets go of the rest of the program. That's perfectionism.

I saw a holiday skating program last month, and Caryn Kadavy was by far the most impressive skater, in my opinion, despite the fact that she was (I think) the oldest and the farthest away from her competitive career. She missed her Olympic FS because of the flu, I've heard. But every inch of her being convinces me that she loves figure skating, loves being able to communicate emotion through movement, loves portraying the nuances of the music. If I'm remembering correctly, she even still had more difficult jumps than some of the more recent skaters.

graciegoldfan17

On the Ice
I think Yuka Sato + Marina Zueva would be great especially GG wants to train in Michigan or Alex + Zueva would also be great.

But I just want to see her with a female coach. And I believe Asian especially Japanese coaches are really caring and clingy.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It was bound to happen and it's better for Gracie to move on but the way it did was unfortunate and uncivil. I don't doubt that both Gracie & Frank have something on their conscience. I am not among those who are quick to slate Mr Carroll making from him almost villain.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
apparently she threw the vest at him onto the floor and he just looked at it without picking it up
she expected him to catch it or pick it up or something and i guess she told him to throw it away and so he did.

Do you have a source for this? It sounds like wild speculation to me.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
It's not wild speculation.

The latest episode of TSL describes in detail what happened between Gracie and Frank and also Gracie's behavior in general at Nationals. It's roughly the first 20 minutes or so of the video.

It is not flattering to Gracie and I suspect her public image will take a hit as a result.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

The latest episode of TSL describes in detail what happened between Gracie and Frank and also Gracie's behavior in general at Nationals. It's roughly the first 20 minutes or so of the video.

It is not flattering to Gracie and I suspect her public image will take a hit as a result.
I don't think that it will taint Gracie's public image. She had a bad day and was a bit careless and (I would say) unintentionally rude, I don't think that the public will hold that against her. I think it was unwise but brave to face the journalists right after her performance.
But it did sound as if it was clear before Nationals that Gracie and Frank were going to split (timeline probably depending on her placement) so I don't think that anyone can blame Frank for telling it right after "Jacketgate".

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker

I like Gracie and I don't think I'll change my mind about that based on what TSL says. No one is perfect, and we all have some really, really bad days. I bet the majority of us can empathize with the stress and pressure Gracie is under, and should keep that in mind before we insult her based on this behavior. I'd be shocked if she didn't regret what she did.

That said, I love a bit of drama and gossip ;). I'm glad we're getting some juicy details.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish Frank and Gracie well. Diagnosed or not, Gracieis goign through a rough time. I just hope she knows skating or not, medal or not she is a person worthy - worthy of love, respect and valued skating or not. I don't know about all these diagnoses but skating like all sports is tough. More pressure on you when the world is watchingyou and you are touted as the next great one. While age and personal make up plays a role - we need to let Gracie grow and be the beautiful butterfly or snowflake or whatever she was meant to be.

Frank is very distinguished and respected skating coach. I personally fo r no good reason didn't like him but always respected him as a coach. I have been a bit suspicious and again maybe with no real reason of his approach to skating or personality. I am not sure I am a snowflake but his style doesn't really resonate suer well with me but he has had some good results.

Jacketgate - I am sure both Gracie and Frank are frustrated - both know shehas h uge potential and when it doesn't work out or isn't currently working out people do and say crazy things. We all have lost something we wanted or are mad about something like telling your loved one to get lost, move out in the heat of the moment. Just sadly it was on tv.

Yes, Gracie is priviledged to be adored by so many, ,gifted as a skater and has the resources to compete. She never seemed to rub in the money issue.

At the end of the day folks there are only three medals at worlds and the olympics (usually lol). There is only so much room on that podium. Gracie may or may not be there. Life has to go on. Listen to these postings if everyone's favourite got a medal the podium would have over 10 spots easily.

Someone has to win and someone has to lose.

I hope Gracie, and Frank,can both move on. As much as the drama may interest us these are still two humans.

louisa05

Final Flight
I am going to say something really controversial. Don't flame me to death.

I taught high school for 16 years and saw a lot of parents over the years who berated their kids to pieces when they didn't perform perfectly.

These were small schools and kids playing for pretty low stakes in the grand scheme of things. The parental $$ investment was not very big.

Frank may have never been the real problem here. He has said that he had been clear with her that nothing about Boston was the end of the world.

princessalica

Final Flight
Yup, of course they could give her the host spot, and I imagine if it came down to that they would.

But usually Skate America is at the top of the season. She might get it if teh summer competitions she shows she is back to form or at champs camp they are blown away.

islandiceskater

Spectator
TSL and Chr**tine Br**nan both thrive off of this type of drama so I'm not really going to engage much with that and their almost voyeuristic approach to the situation.

This really reminds me of when Yulia starting having problems and everybody clamored to give their opinions on how she was a brat, needed to grow up or quit skating, etc. It's interesting to me to see how some of the most self-aware and wise young women in the sport have been "brought down" in similar ways after experiencing psychological distress in the public eye. Fans say they don't want perfect princesses, but lash out when these young women don't express their emotions in what they perceive to be a proper, contained, and attractive way. At the end of the day, all skaters are human, and human emotions and life is sometimes ugly. It happens to the best.

If anything, this could be good for Gracie, I have a feeling she's been needing a good emotional release in order to get it all out so she can start rebuilding. She has always referred to Frank as having taught her control over her emotions, skating, and self and I think this was just the inevitable release of a couple of year of repression. Better out then in ;)

Sidenote: it is actually funny to me how similar in personality Gracie and Yulia seem to be, and yet how little they've interacted. My two favorite angst queens. :laugh:

pjskater

Rinkside
I'm not going to watch the TSL episode because I think it's irresponsible at this point for these public displays of a young woman's painful struggles to go on - I for one am seriously concerned about her well being at this point. I did see the interview and it was painful to watch - some people took it as arrogance but I saw clearly a girl who was trying not to break down and put on a brave face. Not sure why I'm posting this except to say I wish the public shaming of her would stop for her emotional well being. Maybe it is because I have a child her age that I am aware of how painful smaller moments than this can be, so I can only think of what she is going through. Please try to support her rather than break her down.

Status
Not open for further replies.