Yuna Kim | Page 238 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I know I am not the only one but I would so love to see this mature version of Yuna Kim skate her Lark Ascending program again even if it was an abbreviated, exhibition performance. Youtube would blow up!:love:

:sad46:I tear up a little thinking about it, haha. Lark Ascending was one of THE best senior debut LPs of all time. It was never clean, and Yuna didn't have the polish of her later career, but it was this perfect depiction of a fledgling bird taking its first flights. I remember just seeing this willowy girl in an icy blue-white dress skating to heavenly music and being completely mesmerized. It's an image that still sticks with me even over Yuna's later masterpieces like Gershwin and Les Mis.

Geez, every time I visit this thread I get all nostalgic and emotional!

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I hope it is an indication that she will be the one to light the Olympic flame:yay:

I am sure she will be either the one who lights the flame or the one who arrives with the torch in the arena (I hope the former;))

EDIT: Video of the PyeongChang 2018 "One Year To Go" event with Yuna

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
I really hope she gets to light the flame, she was instrumental in securing the Olympic Games for her country and she should be rewarded with this great honor!
And, as I said before, I really hope that she skates again (Arirang!!!!) at the opening or the gala! May my dreams come true!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
5000th POST!!!!!! All because of you Ms Kim!!!!
Pure gold... heart of gold!!

narcissa

Record Breaker
5000th POST!!!!!! All because of you Ms Kim!!!!
Pure gold... heart of gold!!

Amazing!! :clap:

Reposting part of this article from the Edge :luv17:

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/18651235

GANGNEUNG, South Korea -- The one-year countdown to the Pyeongchang Games began Thursday with Yuna Kim revealing the Olympic torch and organizers opening online ticket reservations.

South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn and an International Olympic Committee delegation led by Gunilla Lindberg, who heads the IOC's coordination commission for the Games, also attended the ceremony in Gangneung, which will host the ice sports events in 2017.

"I am convinced that the Pyeongchang Olympics will be a success," Hwang said in a speech at the ceremony. "I believe in the great strength of our people who have successfully hosted international events like the 1988 Olympics and 2002 World Cup."

Kim, a figure skating gold medalist who is perhaps the country's most popular sports personality even in retirement, carried the white-and-gold Olympic torch onto a stage built over ice as a group of pop singers sang "We Are the Champions," highlighting an event that also included a video message from IOC president Thomas Bach.

"It is my great pleasure to invite the national Olympic committees of the world and their athletes to participate in the Olympic Winter Games Pyeongchang 2018," Bach said in the message.

(The rest is not related to Yuna, but they do talk at length about the preparations for the Games.)

Yuna!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love:
https://youtu.be/lDRszpCOs-U?t=39m23s
The effects are so so so cool!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
:sad46:I tear up a little thinking about it, haha. Lark Ascending was one of THE best senior debut LPs of all time. It was never clean, and Yuna didn't have the polish of her later career, but it was this perfect depiction of a fledgling bird taking its first flights. I remember just seeing this willowy girl in an icy blue-white dress skating to heavenly music and being completely mesmerized. It's an image that still sticks with me even over Yuna's later masterpieces like Gershwin and Les Mis.

Geez, every time I visit this thread I get all nostalgic and emotional!

Same for me. The Lark Ascending was the first program I have ever seen by Yuna, and I became a fan right then and there. I then saw El Tango de Roxanne, and it just stole my heart. I am a skater myself and Yuna actually influenced my skating style a lot. She really gives skating the touch of music and artistry it is meant to have :love:

lappo

Final Flight
Yuna's debut was exceptional! A quite remarkable thing is that she was able to make such different programs...I really appreciate versatility in skaters, it's a big plus for me and i think that Yuna showed a lot of it during her career! Another thing I really appreciate of her is that her exhibition programs didn't look like "I have to do this, let's put a jump here, a spiral there..." which is the kind of vibe I usually get from so many of them.