Yuna Kim | Page 240 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

sarama

Medalist
Next year we want her ON the ice! I mean Verner was in the gala at Euros, so I see no reason why she shouldn't be at the Olympic gala

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Next year we want her ON the ice! I mean Verner was in the gala at Euros, so I see no reason why she shouldn't be at the Olympic gala

Exactly. She totally should have went on the middle of the ice, and speak in the spotlight!

She was so shy during her speech, she is a great speaker and she also speaks English very well, so shouldn't be one at all. I know she doesn't like giving interview and being in the middle of the centre :)

Oh well, maybe in PyeongChang :laugh:

Here is a brief message in English by Yuna.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Three years ago today Yuna skated her last competitive program, 'Adios Nonino' at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

I am still amazed how she was able to skate such perfect program in her position - as the defending Olympic champion, and as the last skater in the last group at her last ever competition.

She may be the best competitor I have ever seen in this sport. :bow:

breadstal

Record Breaker
Three years ago today Yuna skated her last competitive program, 'Adios Nonino' at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.

I am still amazed how she was able to skate such perfect program in her position - as the defending Olympic champion, and as the last skater in the last group at her last ever competition.

She may be the best competitor I have ever seen in this sport. :bow:

No one could end career better than Yuna, from choice of song to ending position, everything she did was perfect, too bad this competition was so rotten but everyone know the truth. And she is, I really think she is, I don't remember who said that but I agree: no one could control her mind better than her and that's champion thing. EDIT: Her best skates were at the most important competitions: 2009 Worlds, 2010 Olympics, 2013 Worlds, 2014 Olympics. It's just crazy.

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
No one couldn't end her career better than Yuna, from choice of song to ending position, everything she did was perfect, too bad this competition was so rotten but everyone know the truth. And she is, I really think she is, I don't remember who said that but I agree: no one could control her mind better than her and that's champion thing. EDIT: Her best skates were at the most important competitions: 2009 Worlds, 2010 Olympics, 2013 Worlds, 2014 Olympics. It's just crazy.

YES. If she hadn't popped her easiest triple in 2009 Worlds she'd have 4 picture perfect competitions all at the most important events of her life. (Even so, Scheherazade was a good program. :laugh:)

But wasn't the fact that 2010 was her only clean competition one of her reasons for returning? So... :dance: She's amazing.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
YES. If she hadn't popped her easiest triple in 2009 Worlds she'd have 4 picture perfect competitions all at the most important events of her life. (Even so, Scheherazade was a good program. :laugh:)

But wasn't the fact that 2010 was her only clean competition one of her reasons for returning? So... :dance: She's amazing.

That's what I thought too then later I realised that her change foot combination spin at the end of her program was an invalid element. I was wondering about why she only got 131 for that program. If she had made everything mistake-free she could have reached the 140-point mark.

I think only the haters tried to bring her down, then when she won her 2nd Worlds title and the silver in Sochi with 2x perfect programs then they all remained silent. :laugh15: :laugh:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
The look on their faces and Mai's huge smile :biggrin: Do you think she was more excited to win or to see Yuna? ;)

Mirai looks so happy too but you can see Mai's "heart eyes" and her excitement :luv17:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

sarama

Medalist
I was watching Yuna's Roxanne exhibition version, I hadn't seen it in a long time and wow, it was mind-blowing! I believe it is the performance that best combines "firy Yu-Na" and "mature "Yu-Na", and the result is simply fantastic. Plus that Lutz is stunning :bow:
It also made me think once more that I wish she had tried more choreographers: David was not bad and created some masterpieces for her, but Tom Dickson on his first try brought out something different and magical from her, so I can only imagine how much more she had inside her that we never got to see.

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
It also made me think once more that I wish she had tried more choreographers: David was not bad and created some masterpieces for her, but Tom Dickson on his first try brought out something different and magical from her, so I can only imagine how much more she had inside her that we never got to see.

I always felt just the same: DW made wonders for her (Danse Macabre, Vancouver, Homage to Korea are really masterpieces...) but I think that in general skaters should try different choreographers, even just for exhibitions. I know many think is improductive (DW thinks the same, he always says that he gets to have the full grasp on a skater in 3 years) but working with people with different concepts and who teach you different ways of moving is really worth the risk. Daisuke is my living proof of this!
Anyway, I think Yuna really felt comfortable with David and he for sure always thought her the best skater on planet, so the relationship was mutually beneficial!

PS: adore Roxanne!! Best transition to senior in recent years, really! So much fire from baby Yuna! :luv17:

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
I always felt just the same: DW made wonders for her (Danse Macabre, Vancouver, Homage to Korea are really masterpieces...) but I think that in general skaters should try different choreographers, even just for exhibitions. I know many think is improductive (DW thinks the same, he always says that he gets to have the full grasp on a skater in 3 years) but working with people with different concepts and who teach you different ways of moving is really worth the risk. Daisuke is my living proof of this!
Anyway, I think Yuna really felt comfortable with David and he for sure always thought her the best skater on planet, so the relationship was mutually beneficial!

Heh I'm sure that's more than enough reason to stay with a choreographer ;)

I too thought Tango do Roxanne was one of her best works, and I have had more than one late night session of insomnia when I stared wistfully at the ceiling and thought about what else she could have done. I mean, not all of DW's works were that great -- I felt like Kiss of the Vampire was forgetful, and Adios Nonino was a little too one-note. I think he kind of ran out of ideas sometimes but that's what happens when you work together many seasons and have a pretty well-established (perhaps narrow) idea of what you think works.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Heh I'm sure that's more than enough reason to stay with a choreographer ;)

I too thought Tango do Roxanne was one of her best works, and I have had more than one late night session of insomnia when I stared wistfully at the ceiling and thought about what else she could have done. I mean, not all of DW's works were that great -- I felt like Kiss of the Vampire was forgetful, and Adios Nonino was a little too one-note. I think he kind of ran out of ideas sometimes but that's what happens when you work together many seasons and have a pretty well-established (perhaps narrow) idea of what you think works.

I might be one of the few people who liked Kiss of the Vampire. Even though it was nowhere near Danse, Tango, or James Bond, I thought it was mysterious. Like Caro's comeback SP this season. They are different from their usual routines.

Tango de Roxanne was better than Adios Nonino in terms of interpreting the highs and lows of the music. It was fiery and just exciting to watch. When I first heard Yuna was doing a tango as her last LP, I was so excited because I thought it was gonna be like Tango de Roxanne. Not that Adios wasn't great but the passion and fire of a tango seemed a little lost in the choreography and music. It was, as you said, a little one-note.

sarama

Medalist
I really liked Kiss of the Vampire too! It's a pity she only performed it once. I think people don't like it because she looks really detached, but I guess that was the point: in the program she is cold, unapproachable and regal, just like a vampire.