2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm reminded today of why I am not keen on the choice of Coldplay's Paradise for the Shibs, whom I love. Asides from a general dislike of Coldplay, all I hear during the chorus is "Parrot, parrot, parrot eyes, Parrot, parrot, parrot eyes". Now, try not hearing that after you've read this...

chameleon

On the Ice
Pogrebinsky and Benoit:

SD: Baddest Girl in town (rhumba), Lo So Che Finera (partial step seq.), Bailar (no touch step seq)

FD: Desire (rock blues) + original music composed for the program

Do you have a link to where you saw their FD music announced? Thanks!

Barb

Record Breaker
The main issue I have with Paradise is that most of the musical phrases only cover 8 beats, only to then be repeated. From the offset the shortness of musical phrasing will give a sense of what they are doing as being a bit unintelligent. It's the musical equivalent of listening to someone who speaks in short sentences that say the same thing over and over again.

Alex posted ¨Not everything is revealed. But everything is connected.¨ https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/863151098395320320. I think it mean that they are using another song, besides Paradise, and it is logical, because as someone else already mentionated, Paradise is not long enough.

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
Alex posted ¨Not everything is revealed. But everything is connected.¨ https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/863151098395320320. I think it mean that they are using another song, besides Paradise, and it is logical, because as someone else already mentionated, Paradise is not long enough.

Paradise as a song is really growing on me since they announced it. The first time I heard it I was turned off, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I also see that there is a Vitamin String Quartet version, and there's a cool version by Piano Guys with the vocals in Swahili. Somehow mixing all of these could produce something really awesome.

I also think that if we had heard this time last year that the Shibs were going to skate to Spiegel im Spiegel and Truman Sleeps, there would have been a lot of negativity, and people would have said that it was going to seem boring. I probably would have. I've come to understand that the Shibs are not going to just press play and skate to a song without heavy editing (they even edited the tempos to Fix You, I think).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I agree. In the past few seasons, the Shibs have put a lot of care in their music edits. We may still dislike the song, but it won't just be the song as it is right now with elements done to it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It's the Shibs. They are cerebral. They are story tellers. I'm optimistic because it is obviously going to once again be deeply personal to them. Coldplay music has been "the soundtrack to their souls."

O_O. They've got garbage taste in music.

humbaba

Final Flight
Do you have a link to where you saw their FD music announced? Thanks!

It was from an e-mail to supporters. Both their SD and FD programs are finished. In addition to giving more details about how they were using the SD music, they wrote about their FD music choices. I'm anxious to learn more about the original music composed for their free. They also asked fans for suggestions for music for a new show program. Here's part of what they said about their music choices for the upcoming season:

"If you saw our social media posts last week, you'll know that we selected 3 fresh pieces of music for our Latin-themed short dance. We skate our rhumba PD to "Baddest Girl in Town," our Partial Step to the slow rhumba of "Lo So Che Finera," and our no touch step sequence to the exuberant "Bailar.""

"For our free dance, we played around with several different themes throughout February, but we really connected with a new style of dance for us. We are excited to bring to life our new FD, which is an incredibly soulful, passionate and provocative rock blues, entitled "Desire." The program is comprised from an existing contemporary rock blues along with an original composition made just for us! We LOVE the music, and the choreography lets us each explore something much deeper and more mature, than we have experienced before. We are very excited to share these programs with our fans!"

"We still have to choreograph a new show program for the season, but we are bit exhausted from the music search process of our SD & FD. So, if you have any suggestions for show programs that you'd like to see us skate, please email us back!"

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
O_O. They've got garbage taste in music.
Harsh :eeking: Well I dislike Coldplay too but it really could've been worse, well to be fair I once really liked Coldplay but I grew out from their music when I was like 15 so quite a long time ago. ''Paradise'' is one of their songs that I like the least, it's like going the easiest way possible for them with all those mandatory ''ooo-ooo-ooo aaaa aaa'' and too glaringly simple composition following the same rhythm all the time ad nauseam but I think it may work well with the Shibs if mixed with something else.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Honestly, better Coldplay than another warhorse.
When you have to listen to 5 POTOs in a row, Coldplay sounds sooooooooo refreshing.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Elena Radionova is keeping her SP for next season.

:noshake:

Last edited:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
That SP is my favorite program she's ever done, so I am totally okay with that.

i just don't like when top skaters are keeping their programs especially for the Olympic season.....
i don't like it about everyone.... For me.... They chose the easy way. just IMO :noshake:
Maybe with the exception like Polina Tsurskaya, skaters who missed most of the season.
but Ashley, Shoma, Elena ... :disagree:

JSM

On the Ice
Didn't these skaters:

Yuzuru Hanyu
Carolina Kostner
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Patrick Chan

All reuse or retool a program for Sochi? And won a medal?
And as mentioned previously, reusing programs has been a successful formula for several other Olympic Medalists over the years.

Like it or not, skaters do it because it can work.
I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I understand the decision.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I honestly do not mind at all that Ashley Wagner is doing her SP from the 2015-2016 season. I LOVED that program. Such high energy. And I can see why she would reuse it for the Olympics: High energy, it'll be watched by MANY people, and it'll show casual fans who still think classical music or soft music is only used in skating (I said CASUAL fans or ones that only follow during the Olympics).

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Didn't these skaters:

Yuzuru Hanyu
Carolina Kostner
Savchenko/Szolkowy
Patrick Chan

All reuse or retool a program for Sochi? And won a medal?
And as mentioned previously, reusing programs has been a successful formula for several other Olympic Medalists over the years.

Like it or not, skaters do it because it can work.
I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I understand the decision.

yes. they did it. And I didn't like it either. :noshake:
Caro and Savchenko/Szolkowy at least tried new programs for 13/14 season. Then returned the old one. but at least they tried....

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Olympic season is gonna be the most boring season.... :hopelessness:
50% warhorse
30% reuse programs
20% new interesting music and programs. :love: