NYTimes article on the U.S. Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NYTimes article on the U.S. Ladies

russianfan

Match Penalty
Yes, I also think with America being so obsessed with football, basketball, baseball, and hockey, all our money and the government’s goes into their sports. This leads to many skaters becoming deterred from the sport not just because it doesn’t have a lot of money offering, but also because socially, nobody focuses on it. Not many people even consider skating a sport (as we have seen in the ESPN article), so many girls just don’t even think of skating anymore. It’s really sad how far the Federation and these ladies have fallen, mb one day we will rise again...

But imagine, being a parent, what kind of sport would you choose for your girl? I believe this is one of the best options for girls... may be rhytmic gymnastics as well. It's strange if girls don't think of skating as an option... what would they choose instead?

P.S. Regarding football(actually soccer) and hockey we have literally the same - people are very obsessed with those sports and there is enormous amount of money in those sports, but still government somehow manages to find money for FS as well. It's funny though, that in football(soccer) we almost NEVER WIN ANYTHING significant, despite much bigger amount of money being thrown there :biggrin:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the big problem with US ladies like Wagner and Nagasu is the inability to rotate many of their jumps, at least if judged properly. Will that be ignored at US Nationals and Olympics? Hopefully not!!!

brightphoton

Medalist
Lipinski said, it may be difficult to find a wonderfully artistic skater in her 20s who can also perform the technical requirements needed to be a champion.

That's funny coming from someone who won the Olympic medal at age 12 and then never skated competitively again.

MalAssada

Medalist
But imagine, being a parent, what kind of sport would you choose for your girl? I believe this is one of the best options for girls... may be rhytmic gymnastics as well. It's strange if girls don't think of skating as an option... what would they choose instead?

I don't like labelling sports in girl sports and boy sports. When I have children, I will be much happier if they choose a sport that demands less hours and has a smaller risk of injury, not to mention something they will be able to do for the rest of their lives if so they wish, such as swimming.

I love figure skating, but it isn't a sport I would sign my imaginary children to: too expensive, too risky, very stereotype enforcing, short span of time someone can start if they hope to progress.

Barb

Record Breaker
That's funny coming from someone who won the Olympic medal at age 12 and then never skated competitively again.

Why is funny?, she is right. And she said ¨maybe difficult¨, not impossible. And she praised to Ashley ¨She described Wagner as someone who has “had a lot of life experiences” and “is a beautiful artist and storyteller.”¨.

lappo

Final Flight

P.S. Regarding football(actually soccer) and hockey we have literally the same - people are very obsessed with those sports and there is enormous amount of money in those sports, but still government somehow manages to find money for FS as well. It's funny though, that in football(soccer) we almost NEVER WIN ANYTHING significant, despite much bigger amount of money being thrown there :biggrin:

I did artistic gymnastic, dance and swimming (I still swim), both are very accessible for all kind of people in my country (Italy); most of the girls I know did volleyball or basketball (both popular here because we practice these also at school since young age), ballet or dance. Tennis is also another option. All of the aforementioned are very affordable, require only basic equipment whereas not every area has a rink (my city which is quite large doesn't have one) and the costs for basic lessons are crazy high (not to mention equipments and the rest). Since in my country there are not the basic conditions to operate skating at high levels, I'm totally fine with them encouraging other sports that are affordable and can give to children of all social background exposure to sport and teach them the value of sport for a healthier life.
As for the US, I also follow ballet and dance and, while I might be wrong, I got the idea that a number of children are very interested in them (the various reality shows and the chance of being more recognized and have a longer career than skating also help in this matter).

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

See that's the thing... You're Russian, and you see that figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics are excellent sports for girls (I don't like thinking of a sport as for GIRLS per se but beside the point) But in America, people haven't even heard of rhythmic gymnastics! And there's a mentality that figure skating is only for the rich snobs. Why? Because they're the only ones that can afford it... :disapp: We need a revamp of the system in America.

By the way: I like your new title :biggrin:

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
P.S. Why have they chosen such ugly photos of Evgenia and Alina? :biggrin:
because it's NYTimes, they do it in automated manner.

russianfan said:
It's funny though, that in football(soccer) we almost NEVER WIN ANYTHING significant, despite much bigger amount of money being thrown there :biggrin:
there are too much money inside Russian soccer so players almost nothing to loose if they are week outside Russia. And Russian beach soccer has some great victories with not big state donations (even small). So motivation rulezzz.

Manitou

Medalist
I don’t think it has anything to do with government money. Why isn’t figure skating popular in Argentina or Chile? Just because it isn’t. There is no tradition. Or why is India weak on practically all sports, especially when considering the population size? Again: there is no tradition in sports. No supporting culture.
Why is US good in swimming and tracks? Tradition, supporting culture and role models. Money and government has nothing to do with it.
Why is Russia so good in figure skating? Again: tradition and culture, not the money.

And look: US is actually good at figure skating. There is history, there are medals and historical accomplishments. US is in the top three in the world. Now and historically. There is a very good media coverage, there is a decent number of rinks, there is a quite good social and cultural support. So what do you complain about?
Do you want FS to be as good and popular as tennis in the US? Will never happen. And if it does happen then it will be a natural cultural process, not a government decision.

We need a revamp of the system in America.

I agree. We need to make America great again.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
See that's the thing... You're Russian, and you see that figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics are excellent sports for girls (I don't like thinking of a sport as for GIRLS per se but beside the point) But in America, people haven't even heard of rhythmic gymnastics! And there's a mentality that figure skating is only for the rich snobs. Why? Because they're the only ones that can afford it... :disapp: We need a revamp of the system in America.

By the way: I like your new title :biggrin:

I agree, also, the mentality in the US is so different. People do sports just for fun, they aren’t always ready to put in the dedication of being a FULL TIME ATHLETE at such a young age. Just see Mirai Nagasu’s daily routine at age 13: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Egkc9Imc4og (go to 2:40 in video).

Many Americans at 13 are only worried about 8th grade graduation! It’s just a totally different mental image, which I hope changes soon!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Haha, they chose such interesting mid-air photos for Med and Zagitova. :laugh:

Wow @ Ashley's comment about the Russian girls burning out. It's kind of true, and it's super gutsy of her to say that.

Manitou

Medalist
Wow @ Ashley's comment about the Russian girls burning out. It's kind of true, and it's super gutsy of her to say that.

Nothing gutsy, but an obvious truth. It applies not only to figure skating, but to all sports. If you want to be an Olympic champion you must start very early and keep going. Is swimming or gymnastics different? And if you burn out then there others on your place. Not everybody has to be an Olympic champion.

I don’t think it has anything to do with government money.

I agree. By and large, the U.S. federal government is not in the business of developing sports programs or supporting athletes with public money. Serena Williams never got anything from the federal government, nor Michael Phelps. A rich athlete like (basketball player) LeBron James pays millions of dollars per year to the federal government. in the form of income taxes.

Possibly these athletes benefitted from local governments building public playgrounds where children can shoot hoops or whack a tennis ball. And of course there is always a hue and cry when city and state governments give sports teams a tax subsidy to build a new stadium. But for the most part individual athletes and sports organizations are on their own.

The most important involvement by the federal government in sports is the Title IX initiative, which says that schools and universities must provide equal opportunity for girls to participate in sports as for boys. As far as I know the feds don't give schools any extra money for girls' sports, the schools just have to provide equivalent sports access for girls and for boys.

Maybe a college like Alabama with a strong boys (American) football tradition could balance it out by offering girls' competitive figure skating. :yes:

Manitou

Medalist
Mathman said:
The most important involvement by the federal government in sports is the Title IX initiative, which says that schools and universities must provide equal opportunity for girls to participate in sports as for boys. As far as I know the feds don't give schools any extra money for girls' sports, the schools just have to provide equivalent sports access for girls and for boys.

Maybe a college like Alabama with a strong boys (American) football tradition could balance it out by offering girls' competitive figure skating. :yes:

I support this initiative 100%. My knowledge about college sports comes only from having three kids at US colleges, but I know that our state college has such programs.
The problem is, however, you don’t really start figure skating at the age of 18...

Amei

Record Breaker
Haha, they chose such interesting mid-air photos for Med and Zagitova. :laugh:

Very gutsy considering those burn-outs have been more successful than her with much shorter careers.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

If I had a daughter, I would discourage her from skating just due to the cost, and I'd consider myself upper middle class. It is just WAY too expensive. I'd put her into tennis or golf where just maybe down the road she could get a college scholarship. Two of my friends from high school did that. I thought it was crazy what their parents were spending even then for those sports, but they ended up at good schools on full scholarship so when all was said and done it paid off. My ex's daughter was an equestrian and she got a full scholarship to Southern Methodist University (one of, if not the most expensive colleges in Texas) to compete! There's just nothing down the road for a figure skater, even if they are good enough to make USN.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well aren't you sympathetic? How is one person supposed to change their entire country's social and economical environment?