Jason Brown | Page 507 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I just thought of something (or rather someone) that made me feel better about Tammy and jumps (I need to think about something skating related for Jason, since he’s not giving us info:biggrin:)

Yaroslav Paniot. Doesn’t Tammy coach him? When I saw him at Liberty last summer, he had gorgeous quads. Even I could tell they were quads and even I could tell they were gorgeous. I have no idea if Tammy or some Russian coaches taught him those jumps.....

If Jason could get one quarter of Paniot’s quads, and Paniot get one quarter of Jason’s interpretation, artistry and performance, it would be to both skaters’ benefit:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

He says he wanted to make the "peace" sign like Jason, but unconsciously pointed his hand downward. (Presumably due to being nervous/star struck.)

Thank you!:clap: makes much more sense now:)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
OK, I just thought of something (or rather someone) that made me feel better about Tammy and jumps (I need to think about something skating related for Jason, since he’s not giving us info:biggrin:)

Yaroslav Paniot. Doesn’t Tammy coach him? When I saw him at Liberty last summer, he had gorgeous quads. Even I could tell they were quads and even I could tell they were gorgeous. I have no idea if Tammy or some Russian coaches taught him those jumps.....

If Jason could get one quarter of Paniot’s quads, and Paniot get one quarter of Jason’s interpretation, artistry and performance, it would be to both skaters’ benefit:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_MenSingleSkating_SP_Scores.pdf
Thank you!:clap: makes much more sense now:)

Erm. Have you seen the protocol for his SP at Olympics? Scroll down. To the end.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_MenSingleSkating_SP_Scores.pdf

Then there’s his Euros SP (keep scrolling down):

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/ec2018/ec2018_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Seriously, Ricky D and Brendan K have both done beautiful quads in competition sometimes - but never consistently. And Vincent is prone to < and works with Tom Z and Christy Krall for jumps. Of course it’s hard to say what has caused the jump problems for those skaters, so I guess it’s unfair to judge. But it gives me pause.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for clarification on the different SOI!

It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with his coaching situation. I know he really likes Karen and I’m sure he’d enjoy training with her, but I wonder if Tammy would be able to help him with his jumps.

You're welcome.

I'm not sure, I do know that she also coaches Sean Rabbitt and formerly (until the middle of this current season, Aussie Brendan Kerry who was a jumper), Tammy specializes in jump technique and uses video analysis in her coaching.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Erm. Have you seen the protocol for his SP at Olympics? Scroll down. To the end.

Then there’s his Euros SP (keep scrolling down):

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/ec2018/ec2018_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Seriously, Ricky D and Brendan K have both done beautiful quads in competition sometimes - but never consistently. And Vincent is prone to < and works with Tom Z and Christy Krall for jumps. Of course it’s hard to say what has caused the jump problems for those skaters, so I guess it’s unfair to judge. But it gives me pause.

ooops! I did say, I hadn't seen Paniot since, :laugh: just not for me, personally, the kind of skater I need to see again. But then I looked up the protocol for Philly International and he landed a quad flip, that's a big deal jump, right? And a 4T3T combo? I don't remember him being hunched or rushed, but then again I don't remember anything else except he had cool hair.;)

Oh well, until we hear from our international man of mystery himself, no real news. Maybe I'll scream from the seats at SOI and see if I get an answer. (Knew I should have shelled out for the high-five seats or the meet-n-greet, neither of which are my thing at all:biggrin:)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Okay, for those of my fellow Jason fans who can’t ABIDE TSL (you know who you are :devil:) Dave says that Jason has had some lessons with Frank and Anthony Liu “and will be visiting Lori Nichol.”

Which is not to say he might not also be having lessons with Tammy, of course.

But....no Rohene? :shocked: If it’s true, I know some people will be happy to see what another choreographer will do with him. And I did like some of her programs for D10.

I guess (again assuming truth) he’s changing everything. Which makes sense. But end of an era. Sniff. :sad21:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There are two programs -- so I don't think it's absolutely out of the question he could work with Rohene again, even with a different coach.

The thing with Lori is that she can be absolutely magical (see Mao, Carolina and Denis) or an absolute miss.

ETA: I also liked Caro's Bolero FS from Sochi. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbyZAEjFlU0

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
Okay, for those of my fellow Jason fans who can’t ABIDE TSL (you know who you are :devil:) Dave says that Jason has had some lessons with Frank and Anthony Liu “and will be visiting Lori Nichol.”

Thank you for the info, since I'm one of those who cannot abide. :devil:

Except for the bit about Lori, it's nothing new. The assumption has been that he was working with Liu and I think the expectation was that Frank would return to Palm Springs after the Olympics since he's usually there this time of year. Jason has done this much before. The bit about Lori is interesting. My biggest concern about working with a new choreographer is Jason's admitted difficulty learning new choreography. Not having a choreographer based at his rink could present a challenge. But I'm honestly eager to see what someone new could do for him.

ETA: Re the all-important hair: :)

Here's another photo for the "has Jason cut his hair" installment. At least we know he isn't starving. :laugh:
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/974058594948866048

This definitely looks like a new cut, right? I had assumed he had his hair cut in CA but doesn't this FroozerGram seems to be at the Monument rink? So maybe it was cut before he left CO. :confused2:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So, for research purposes, nice that the Jason Brown fan page permanently captures moments from insta stories. These are both things we’ve seen before, and Katmari actually posted the first one here a couple of weeks ago, only I wasn’t too observant:

This one is from Desert Ice Castle. I didn’t notice because I was so focused on Jason doing Hamilton, but he’s clearly working with Frank, who is watching him intently from the rink wall:

https://twitter.com/jasonbrownfp/status/970651663907282945

This one is I think from Sean Rabbitt’s recent story, and shows Jason’s hair:

https://twitter.com/jasonbrownfp/status/972017520159858688

This is an even older post by Desert Ice Castle, from Feb 15:

https://instagram.com/p/BfPDYzxnQlV/

He’s got the sideswept bang but still has the manbun.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Desert Ice Castle has posted another Jason video (there are two videos in the post):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgW9PiMlY3h/?taken-by=deserticecastle

deserticecastle Happy Thursday skaters! Sometimes you gotta just have fun on ice not only about boring trainings 🤗 we love having @jasonbskates here ⛸💛 #tbt #jasonbrown #deserticecastle #figureskating #skaterstar #wow #fun #thegreatestshowman #notenough

These videos make me miss Jason's skating even more! :gaah:

RE: Choreography

Jason recently liked a tweet from a person hoping Rohene would continue to do his choreography so I think we'll continue to see Rohene programs from time to time.

I am interested in seeing how someone else choreographs Jason. Lori Nichol wouldn't have been my first choice, but it will be good for Jason to experience working with other people and getting used to different program styles.

shirleyc89

Rinkside
Desert Ice Castle has posted another Jason video (there are two videos in the post):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgW9PiMlY3h/?taken-by=deserticecastle

deserticecastle Happy Thursday skaters! Sometimes you gotta just have fun on ice not only about boring trainings 🤗 we love having @jasonbskates here ⛸💛 #tbt #jasonbrown #deserticecastle #figureskating #skaterstar #wow #fun #thegreatestshowman #notenough

These videos make me miss Jason's skating even more! :gaah:

I know it probably won't happen, but I would love to see Jason skate to Never Enough (the song that's playing in the background) and include that beautiful spiral in it!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another of the “Not abiding by Dave unless he interviews someone awesome like Meagan Duhamel crowd”:dev3:, so I appreciate the heads up from our intrepid reporter, but I have to admit his info has been right. I think he’s right about Jason leaving 7k, whatever the reason, and we all know the tell-tale signs of training with Frank;) (and great catch @Tavi, that’s our Frank staring intently on the ice by the boards)

Kind of meh about Lori Nichol, but she does work with Frank’s students, so ..... hopefully she’s around to drill afterwards too:yes:

And for the very very very important questions, is Jason wearing that new hoodie into the ground, or ice? :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So is someone technologically savvy enough to stop actin on the first Desert Ice Castle clip and see if his hair is shorter?????!!!! It’s too fast and blurry on my phone.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So is someone technologically savvy enough to stop actin on the first Desert Ice Castle clip and see if his hair is shorter?????!!!! It’s too fast and blurry on my phone.

No, I am not technically advanced, but it sure looks shorter to me ... well, the first SOI is the first week of April, right? He can't wear that cap forever.:laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, I am not technically advanced, but it sure looks shorter to me ...

FWIW: If my naked eyes do not deceive me (I also am not technically advanced :hopelessness:), I could swear that Jason's man-bun -- or else a rather short ponytail -- is visible in the second video? :reye:

Although I see a shorter wisp at least on one side, I see the man-bun/ponytail sticking out from under his cap as well. YMMV.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
FWIW: If my naked eyes do not deceive me (I also am not technically advanced :hopelessness:), I could swear that Jason's man-bun -- or else a rather short ponytail -- is visible in the second video? :reye:

Although I see a shorter wisp at least on one side, but I see the man-bun/ponytail sticking out from under his cap as well. YMMV.

I think you’re right. In fact, I think I see it in both clips.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Another FWIW: The photo also has a hashtag of #tbt, which means it could be a video that was filmed a while ago.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There's a chance that Jason was just working with Frank on jumps as usual.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Another interesting thing is if Jason does decide to work out of the LA area, Misha Ge is known to choreograph out there, a program from him would be wonderful.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
There's a chance that Jason was just working with Frank on jumps as usual.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Another interesting thing is if Jason does decide to work out of the LA area, Misha Ge is known to choreograph out there, a program from him would be wonderful.

Yeah Jason seems determined to be a mystery so I guess we’ll just have to wait until he feels like telling the full story.

The first clip I posted in #10,130 above is dated 3/5/2018 and shows Frank watching Jason doing part of Hamilton. Of course, it could well be that the jumps or overall polishing are his main focus. I think it’s been reported several times that he’s retired from full time elite coaching, so it seems unlikely that he will be Jason’s head coach. But who knows. If D10 is continuing (?) it would be great if he and Jason trained together from time to time - I’m sure they’d both learn from each other.

I think Misha did one or both programs for Kovtun this year? I really liked those a lot for him and thought in many ways Kovtun looked the most comfortable and most “himself” I’ve ever seen him. So yeah, it would be interesting to see what he’d do with Jason. Personally, I’d really love to see what Jeff Buttle could do with him.

@vla13, thanks so much for delurking to post those screen captures - welcome, and post long and often!