Yuna Kim | Page 272 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Izabela

On the Ice
Yes, Les Mis is her most complete program and I strongly argue the most sublime ladies program under CoP. Personally, I’m more in awe with the 16 y/o Yuna who gave justice to TLA, since I also kind of had a high expectation to the 22 y/o and expected her to give something new with more maturity. TLA stands out IMO not only because of the program itself but also because of the SP that accompanied it, TLA is the flowing river to her Tango’s fire. And for a 16 y/o to showcase this kind of range is mesmerizing.

lappo

Final Flight
Yes, Les Mis is her most complete program and I strongly argue the most sublime ladies program under CoP. Personally, I’m more in awe with the 16 y/o Yuna who gave justice to TLA, since I also kind of had a high expectation to the 22 y/o and expected her to give something new with more maturity. TLA stands out IMO not only because of the program itself but also because of the SP that accompanied it, TLA is the flowing river to her Tango’s fire. And for a 16 y/o to showcase this kind of range is mesmerizing.

That's truly a beautiful image and I couldn't agree more...both programs still stand the text of time (even though my sentimental favourite LP is HtK).

Haha I scored Les Mis a bit back:

Yuna Kim

3Lz-3T: +2/+1.4 11.5
3F: +2/+1.4 6.7
FCCoSp4: +1.5/+0.75 4.5 Nice changes of positions to the music, good control, exit to the music
3S: +1.5/+1.05 4.25 Good extension on landing, and good lift
StSq4: +1.5/+1.05 4.95 Beautiful speed, and great control demonstrated at the beginning
3Lz: +2/+1.4 8.0 Fantastic
2A-2T-2Lo: +2/+1 8.04 Timed really well to the music with SE entry
3S-2T: +1/+0.7 6.75
LSp3: +0.5/+0.25 2.65 Nothing special, but good exit to the music earns her a small bonus
ChSq1: +1.5/+1.05 3.05 The beginning is good and timed well, the ending is not. The midsection could be better.
2A: +1.5/+0.75 4.38 Wonderful timing
CCoSp4: +1/+0.5 4.00 I-Spin to the swelling music gets her a bonus, along with good control. Low speed and not the best positions though.

SS: 9.25 Excellent speed, very good edges and control.
TR: 8.50 Quite a few dance steps before a few elements, like the solo 3S. SE into her 2As. SE out of 3Lz. Excellent flow out of jumps helps.
PE: 10.0 Instead of writing an explanation for this, I invite you to listen to the crowd reaction to each of her elements. But here's one anyway: She isn't the most expressive with her face,
but all her movement in the program, done with breakneck speed, conveys the very concept of the program -- one of introspection, realization, and eventual triumph.
This program has three parts: "Who am I?", "On My Own", and "Do you Hear the People Sing?". Who was Yuna, if not a skater? Would she never get to do it again? Would the audience rise for her performance again?
These are questions that her fans asked of themselves for the two years she wasn't there, and she answered them all. Her movement is extroverted, and the audience is invited to join in, and with her 2A the audience realizes that she has won.
CO: 8.75, IN: 9.25: The elements match the musical structure really well (2A-2T-2Lo, 3F, 3S), the concept of eventual triumph is conveyed really well, the movement is slow when needed. The final I-Spin rises to the cresendo really beautifully.

TES: 68.52
PCS: 73.20

LP: 141.72

Izabela

On the Ice
I’m actually surprised you gave her a very slightly lower PCS here :laugh: , but I completely agree with your PE score. If someone wants to truly see how her performance made the audiences crazy they should check the fancam. It was truly excellent.

OTOH, I was under the impression that she exhibited better skating skills in her Adios (which I would give 9-9.25) and Les Mis 9 the most. I’m not good when it comes to judging this part but I thought she had better edge control in Adios. As someone who only relies on impression, I want to know what you think about it?

Also, post 2011, I generally wouldn’t give Yuna’s flying camel combomore than +1 GOE but I really get how her FCCoSp looks so in tune with the music, and I love in tune she was to the music exiting the spin. (And sadly couldn’t say the same thing to Adios).

I’m actually surprised you gave her a very slightly lower PCS here :laugh: , but I completely agree with your PE score. If someone wants to truly see how her performance made the audiences crazy they should check the fancam. It was truly excellent.
:yes:

OTOH, I was under the impression that she exhibited better skating skills in her Adios (which I would give 9-9.25) and Les Mis 9 the most. I’m not good when it comes to judging this part but I thought she had better edge control in Adios. As someone who only relies on impression, I want to know what you think about it?
Maybe I overmarked her here, but she was slower in Adios Nonino. In general, I think the step sequence was more difficult in AN because of how controlled she had to be, but here the speed was bound to have been a challenge to control on its own, and it was maintained throughout, but often coming to the appropriate changes and pauses. I think it balances out, because that ought to be around the same amount of skill. Maybe I overmarked her on TR because of the speed too. Since it's unofficial, and PCS should technically be hard to get, let's say she's >72, and that's good!

Also, post 2011, I generally wouldn’t give Yuna’s flying camel combomore than +1 GOE but I really get how her FCCoSp looks so in tune with the music, and I love in tune she was to the music exiting the spin. (And sadly couldn’t say the same thing to Adios).

The musical interpretation is definitely what made me give her a bonus.

Izabela

On the Ice
Somehow I can only make sense how I would score Les Miserables in comparison but did you also happen to score her Adios Nonino? Would you likely give AN higher TR, like how differently she entered her solo 3Lz there? I think in terms of PCS I would give her high marks on Les Miserables on PE and IN (she deserved the 10s here), but higher scores in SS, and TR for AN. With CO I agree LM (and Adios too) could have been choreographed better on the final part, although I would still give an edge to LM here because I think she really got tired in AN and it showed in the last part.

In general, I would give Les Mis the highest TES and highest PCS in the competition, but in Adios Nonino IMO I agree she doesn't deserved to get the highest TES (that should be Mao's) but will strongly argue she deserved to get the highest PCS there.

Also, is she one of the firsts to structure her programs in non-linear way? Like putting her StSq in the middle of the program rather than at the end of it?

SS: 9.25 I think she shows good speed, control, and edges. A well balanced show.
TR: 8.00 It's light on these. Her ability to ride an edge out of her jumps is what aids this.
PE: 8.50
CO: 8.50 Placement of elements is good, and there's an idea, but not the most stunning piece of choreography.
IN: 8.50

PCS: 68.40

How would you score them?

Izabela

On the Ice
SS: 9.25 - Same as yours. I prefer her flow and edge control here than Les Miserables even though she seemed to be slower.
TR: 8.50 (and 8.25 for Les Mis) I would give her higher marks here although I may be looking at different stuff. For example, I love her transition going out of her 3Lz-3T combo. It's sharp and shows her edge control. (Maybe I'm confusing TR with SS in this regard.
PE: 8.25 - for this specific event because I honestly think this program is too subtle for an Olympic LP, but also personally her changing facial expression can be jarring. She looked introspective and so expressive in different moments (At first watch I was actually taken aback by this LOL).
CO: 8.5 - Same
IN: 9 - I would give Yuna a higher mark here and If I'm more honest with myself (and more generous than I am now :laugh:), I would give it 9.25 because I think her movement really did capture the nuance of this music. They not only capture the elegaic tone of this piece but also the ups and downs of Piazolla (and his non-traditionalist approach) as he composed this song. Her interpretation and her movements' dedication to the "non-traditional" (i.e. her sharp arm movements which are almost reminiscent of cubism) for me is a solemn respect to the equally non-traditionalist Piazolla. Again, I think the IN may not looked so strong because hers doesn't feel like she's skating to a tango, and may be too sophisticated for a tango, but I think they paid more attention to the nuevo here.

PCS: 69.6

TR: 8.50 (and 8.25 for Les Mis) I would give her higher marks here although I may be looking at different stuff. For example, I love her transition going out of her 3Lz-3T combo. It's sharp and shows her edge control. (Maybe I'm confusing TR with SS in this regard.
I've seen arguments for 8.25 in TR for Les Mis, and I can agree with those. However, 8.50 for TR for AN seems too much. At times, she really does seem like she's just building into jumps. It's not lower than 8, though, because she can hold edges out of her jumps, and does steps between a few beginning elements, and there's that ina into 2A-2T-2Lo.

I would give Yuna a higher mark here and If I'm more honest with myself (and more generous than I am now ), I would give it 9.25 because I think her movement really did capture the nuance of this music. They not only capture the elegaic tone of this piece but also the ups and downs of Piazolla (and his non-traditionalist approach) as he composed this song. Her interpretation and her movements' dedication to the "non-traditional" (i.e. her sharp arm movements which are almost reminiscent of cubism) for me is a solemn respect to the equally non-traditionalist Piazolla. Again, I think the IN may not looked so strong because hers doesn't feel like she's skating to a tango, and may be too sophisticated for a tango, but I think they paid more attention to the nuevo here.

I deducted points because she missed a few cues. That ChSq had her skating through the music at points, and that final spin was mistimed, except for the exit. I think the tango part was fairly well represented in the opening parts, and the step sequence actually, and she generally had a feel for the music, but it could have been deeper at points, and they could have gone a bit further at others. It's sad, she was clearly trying to get the points in with the ChSq and move on to the 2A, when with different rules that would actually reward the artistic aspect fairly, that ChSq would've been amazing. Interesting relation to cubism, though.

It's still the highest PCS of the night for me. That event was a disaster, and not because of who won. Ladies' FS has been on a downward trajectory since Les Mis, though Mao Asada tried and tried, and failed to be noticed and rewarded for it, except rightly so for her 2014W SP. Maybe especially because of how they failed to reward her. I see something in Wakaba Higuchi, but in general, since everyone in the ladies field is skating for points... The sport is dead.

Izabela

On the Ice
I guess we have to agree to disagree with TR in AN because I also took into consideration the differences in her crossovers and those litle movements that bind the entire choreography together. It’s not on par with what she did in Gershwin but I feel though that even simpler movements/transitions can be better at the right moment.

Ditto with the Interpretation. I know timing with the music is a part of it but in AN although I agree with you on the ChSq, in the grand scheme she really presented a nuevo tango that is as authentic as Piazolla’s non traditionalism.

I will still put Sochi ladies event close to my heart because of Mao, Yuna and Carolina, but looking back the 2011-2014 quad is not strong as people made it out to be. This is not like the 2007-2010 era. I guess the difference is that in the 2006-2007 transition we got Mao and Yuna that made it so interesting yet in the 2014-2015 transition we haven’t had the same kind of emerging talents? I remember back then we also didn’t have conversations about inflations and whatnot as intense as it is now in this forum. I agree with you on Higuchi she gives me similar feelings as Yuna when I watch her; but she’s in the situation of Mao and how she is held back in PCS.

(And I am also dreading for the Men singles once Yuzu retires tbh).

I will still put Sochi ladies event close to my heart because of Mao, Yuna and Carolina, but looking back the 2011-2014 quad is not strong as people made it out to be. This is not like the 2007-2010 era. I guess the difference is that in the 2006-2007 transition we got Mao and Yuna that made it so interesting yet in the 2014-2015 transition we haven’t had the same kind of emerging talents? I remember back then we also didn’t have conversations about inflations and whatnot as intense as it is now in this forum. I agree with you on Higuchi she gives me similar feelings as Yuna when I watch her; but she’s in the situation of Mao and how she is held back in PCS.

I think the 2011-2014 quad wasn't strong at all, and only Higuchi is worth watching currently. I do see Yuna's pre-Vancouver fire in her.

(And I am also dreading for the Men singles once Yuzu retires tbh).
I have hopes for a few.

Izabela

On the Ice
I think the 2011-2014 quad wasn't strong at all, and only Higuchi is worth watching currently. I do see Yuna's pre-Vancouver fire in her.

Agree. Different people remember this quad differently I guess, because I see some claim that this is a strong (strongest?) quad because of Yuna-Mao-Carolina (and Yulia), when Yuna only competed in 5 international events, Mao had her slump, and Carolina is not at her best. And 2011-2012 season being the worst of them all; nostalgia just tend to color the past so much better :laugh:

Agree. Different people remember this quad differently I guess, because I see some claim that this is a strong (strongest?) quad because of Yuna-Mao-Carolina (and Yulia), when Yuna only competed in 5 international events, Mao had her slump, and Carolina is not at her best. And 2011-2012 season being the worst of them all; nostalgia just tend to color the past so much better :laugh:

I think it might just be because of who won the WCs -- Yuna in 13, Mao in 14, Caro in 12, all with one beautiful routine. One could argue Yuna should have won in 2011, too, with another set of good routines. Sometimes a season is literally just defined by the eventual winner. And, of course, the sheer mystery of what was going to happen in 2013 with Yuna, culminating in the single best ladies' LP under CoP is a memory to be held. Overall, however, nowhere close to the depth of field we saw in 2007-10 and the true culmination of that quad is what we're seeing today...

Izabela

On the Ice
I think it might just be because of who won the WCs -- Yuna in 13, Mao in 14, Caro in 12, all with one beautiful routine. One could argue Yuna should have won in 2011, too, with another set of good routines. Sometimes a season is literally just defined by the eventual winner. And, of course, the sheer mystery of what was going to happen in 2013 with Yuna, culminating in the single best ladies' LP under CoP is a memory to be held. Overall, however, nowhere close to the depth of field we saw in 2007-10 and the true culmination of that quad is what we're seeing today...

What I love about the 2007-2010 era is that no one skater can clearly claim to dominate the quad. Even if one can make the narrative that Yuna did because she won the Olympic gold, there's no year where she dominated the entire season. While often it was a back and forth between her and Mao, it really made the quad so exciting to watch. Pushing each other throughout the years, and then coming into the Olympics with so much depth in the field, I honestly thought it would be like that every Olympic season.

Now, while Mao is about to have her ice shows featuring her old programs (which I am so excited to watch), would it be funny if Yuna and Wilson decided to make an exhibition piece for The Lark Ascending? (I KNOW I KNOW THERE IS LIKE 0.000001% possibility on this but IMAGINE!).