Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
She will be in a cross country skating show called "thank you Canada" all the best to her no matter what direction she takes with her skating.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I hope to see her back competing next season she loves skating too much... Have a nice break Kaetlyn - will miss your exciting jumps!

rlopen

On the Ice
This is super unexpected, IMO, and I can't say I'm happy about it. Partially because it because depletes the field and makes everything less interesting. And I just don't like it when anyone on top decides to take a break. Just my opinion - nothing to do with Katelyn personally.

I also hope that everyone who is admiring what a smart and strategic decision this is would feel the same way if Evgenia and/or Alina decided to sit out as well.

(If either of them were to do so, I kind of think they'd be inviting the negative "oh look her career is over just like Adelina lol. look how afraid she is to lose to someone better." types of criticisms.)

Alina and Evgenia being top 2 was worthy and wouldn't put doubts of not being good enough in their head. Adelina being anywhere near the gold medal rightfully deserved mega controversy and put doubts in her head. (I do feel sorry for her though after all the hate she received for being the gold medalist. It's not her fault...it's everyone else's who conspired to make sure a Russian girl would be #1. It's kind of ironic to think about how they wouldn't let Yuna win at their games now that they basically had a almost guaranteed gold medalist in the 2017-2018 season for the Olympic Games.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's kind of sad that with Canada hosting the GPF that none of the Canadians on the gold medal winning team will be on the Grand Prix because of a tour. I highly doubt Osmond had much to do with organizing the tour and there would be a hole without her. I don't really hold it against her(and I previously ranted about all the skaters skipping after Worlds/Olympics) and I doubt many in the ISU will either since Canada would be the one missing out for the home Grand Prix event.

Kaetlyn would have been the Canadian skater most likely to bring home a GPF medal on home ice.
Now the prospects for a Canadian medal are dimmed for sure.

Maybe Gogolev in the JGPF?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaetlyn would have been the Canadian skater most likely to bring home a GPF medal on home ice.
Weaver and Poje are probably the default bronze medalists in ice dance, based on 2018 Worlds. So that’s one medal.

If you’re including the juniors, any of the three notable junior men would be contenders, along with Lajoie/Lagha.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
I was super looking forward to seeing Kaetlyn at the GPF, but I guess this is a good time to take a break for her. And hey, I can always start pinning all my hopes that this will be Gabby's year for the GPF. I might actually expire if she makes it and I can watch her live ...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was super looking forward to seeing Kaetlyn at the GPF, but I guess this is a good time to take a break for her. And hey, I can always start pinning all my hopes that this will be Gabby's year for the GPF. I might actually expire if she makes it and I can watch her live ...
This’ll be as good a shot as she’s ever had. If she can win SCI, especially, she’d be virtually certain to make it as long as she didn’t completely tank the second event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Maybe Gogolev in the JGPF?

Gogolev, Conrad or Joseph all have a chance in JGPF... Lajoie/Lagha as well.

Weapo have a chance of course. Gabby had a terrible season filled with injuries and illness but when you look at what she can do, 2017 worlds for instance or LP during team event, she is always a contender. I am sure her competitors never take her for granted.

Pairs are rebuilding. Seguin/Bilodeau will be helped by Duhamel and are not injured (touching wood) right now as far as I know.

Yes, Kaetlyn, of course, as a world champion would be no matter what circumstances the biggest Canadian hope for a medal at GPF... but I am sure Skate Canada would prefer our athletes to medal in 2020, at home worlds... and of course, the main event is now 2022.

- - - Updated - - -

Weaver and Poje are probably the default bronze medalists in ice dance, based on 2018 Worlds. So that’s one medal.

If you’re including the juniors, any of the three notable junior men would be contenders, along with Lajoie/Lagha.

oups.. my post is almost a duplicate LOL

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not totally surprised by this. I wondered if she would pull a Jeff Buttle and retire all together. I wonder if she has done any schooling; mind you if she is planning to go to Nats and Worlds in 2019 it would be hard to go to school full time. If she can't do shows if that is true I am not sure what she can do professionally? I suppose she could work on a triple axel and new artistry and better stamina perhaps. Maybe tanos? It is kind of like the bride once she is married. She cut her hair and made some drastic changes. The other day she was noticeably absent from her normal practice time but there is a nice tribute to her at the mall she skates at. They had to cover up Silver world medallist to change it to world champion and oddly they talk about her Olympic Gold Medallist (Team) but we all know she won the big Bronze too individually.

TGee

Record Breaker
Looks like someone is late to the party ;) , and the opportunity to train off rink with Meagan Duhamel everyday, BONUS!
Let's not forget skating in and some stroking perhaps with some of the greatest skating skills on the planet...

Or some jump thoughts from the amazing Elvis Stokjo -- who doesn't want the regular coaching thing, but is keen to advise on a short term basis.

New thought, creative energy, some monetary ease, and the chance to ponder next steps with other Canadian World Champions who, among them, have taken just about every possible path post success...

When looked at it this way, why wouldn't she jump on the opportunity...

We haven't heard from Plushenko on this or the tour, but I bet, as the creator of his own exhibitions, he'd say "Bravo" to them all for exploring a new way to bring figure skating to North American audiences.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Let's not forget skating in and some stroking perhaps with some of the greatest skating skills on the planet....

Or some jump thoughts from the amazing Elvis Stokjo -- who doesn't want the regular coaching thing, but is keen to advise on a short term basis. New thought, creative energy, some monetary ease, and the chance to ponder next steps with other Canadian World Champions who, among them, have taken just about every possible path post success...

When looked at it this way, why wouldn't she jump on the opportunity...

We haven't heard from Plushenko on this or the tour, but I bet, as the creator of his own exhibitions, he'd say "Bravo" to them all for exploring a new way to bring figure skating to North American audiences.

TGee, I could not have phrased this better. Why not learn from legends of the sport on a daily basis. Even if she misses 2018/2019, it's like a university skip year, with a plan. Who better to be mentored by, than THIS crowd.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Does Gabby have a better shot at making the Final now???
......I think not, unless she ups her technical content. AND stops doing the layback spin (replace it with a different variation, one that’s more aesthetically pleasing and gets u more points)

TGee

Record Breaker
......I think not, unless she ups her technical content. AND stops doing the layback spin (replace it with a different variation, one that’s more aesthetically pleasing and gets u more points)
I do think she has a serious opportunity depending on how the rule changes fall out.

Everyone's layout will need to adapt and the first season in the new quadrennial is the time to train and bring out elements that skater's haven't focused on previously.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Removing one major competitor inherently improves her odds, and beyond that, yes, it does improve things for her considerably. She’ll be one of the top two seeded skaters at Skate Canada next year; winning would virtually guarantee a spot unless she tanks the other event, and a silver would also be a big boost.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chances are strong that the other seed will be one of Higuchi or Miyahara (both of whom beat Gabby by 14 points at Worlds), so Gabby may need a little extra help---like Leanna Caron on the Ladies judging panel, or an Amano-like TS to keep others' TES scores in check.

If Kostner decides against doing the GP, then Zagitova becomes 3rd seed and Sotskova, 6th seed. That would increase the odds of Gabby having to face both Zagitova and Medvedeva at her second event.