Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
https://thethankyoucanadatour.ca/

She will be part of a new Canadian ice show tour on October/November.

Wow!!! How exciting for them and us, their fans! I see there are no repeat cities from SOI 2018, as all are new stops for them...smart. There are close to 30 stops in total and Tessa said in a release, they want to visit communities that don't ordinarily get skating productions because they know how important grassroots programs are in small towns.

Thanks @thethankyoucanadatour.ca!

millie

Medalist
Tickets on sale June 8th.....wow coming to St.John’s....Newfoundland will get their Kaetlyn fix before Nationals...you go girl......I’m wondering is she will be debuting her new programs in these shows before Nationals.

sakurano

Final Flight
I must say that I did not expect but if it allows him to come back stronger for the world championship so I'm with her wholeheartedly, I like her broadway side like Ashley and it's true that it's going to me miss

Ulrica

On the Ice
What a bummer, I was really looking forward to seeing her on the GPF, while not my favorite out of the ladies, I really like her skating and personality on the ice, she's so fast and her jumps are huuuuuge. But best of luck to her on her future endeavors if she chooses to retire.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yes, they complain, but nobody listens. You chose your job, so you do it. And the tennis players do it, with or without complaining...

But people can take breaks from their jobs. You chose your job, but it doesn't mean you have to do it forever. You can choose something else. The average person changes careers multiple times in their lives; as they should. You should always do what you're passionate about, and there's nothing wrong with taking a break or deciding to do something else. Why live such a mundane repetitive life when there are so many other possibilities?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow!!! How exciting for them and us, their fans! I see there are no repeat cities from SOI 2018, as all are new stops for them...smart. There are 30 cities in total and Tessa said in a release, they want to visit cities that don't ordinarily get skating productions because they know how important grassroots programs are in small towns.

Thanks @thethankyoucanadatour.ca!

I believe SOI was in London, and this tour is going back. But that makes sense since Tessa and Scott are from that area.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
While this smells like retiring, and OMG, I am shocked, it only talks about GP. So, I assume she might still go to Nationals, 4CC or Worlds. I am not sure this will happen. Talking about new opportunities, does not look very well mixed with competing, even for Nationals. I love Kaetlyn and I wish her all the best in whatever she does! Sill, I hope she does NOT retire yet.

Ziotic

Medalist
Since she will be doing shows, I would think it likely that she does variations of her potential competitive programs to be ready for nationals

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how the ISU will react to Kaetlyn's forgoing the GP to do a tour that coincides with GP dates. Actually, the tour is in direct conflict with Skate Canada International, which will affect revenue. Audience which would have gone to SCI will go to the tour instead. Worse, from the ISU point of view, Skate Canada will lose viewership with no major headliner: not only is there no Chan or V/M, now there is no Osmond.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder how the ISU will react to Kaetlyn's forgoing the GP to do a tour that coincides with GP dates. Actually, the tour is in direct conflict with Skate Canada International, which will affect revenue. Audience which would have gone to SCI will go to the tour instead. Worse, from the ISU point of view, Skate Canada will lose viewership with no major headliner: not only is there no Chan or V/M, now there is no Osmond.
Ontarians planning to spend over $1000 per person (once tickets, hotels, travel, etc. is factored in) to travel to Montreal to attend a major international competition are unlikely to be diverted to an ice show in Barrie.

Beside which, speaking as somebody who bought SCI tickets over a month ago, SCI tickets (particularly the good seats) are already mostly sold.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

I don't think so. The tour will be just arriving to Ontario by the weekend of SCI which is in Montreal... it's not like the tour is coming near Montreal at all...closest being Quebec city... Also, for having been to different events (SOI and Nationals and ACI) in the region, the competitive skating public is very different from the SOI public. THere were many family/children/kids with parents at SOI compared to the competitive events I have been to.

I do not think that Skate Canada will lose money because Kaetlyn will be skipping, especially since it opens the door to our national champion Gabby... V/M will be "sort of" replaced by Weapo... Duhamel and Radford in Montreal will be a much bigger loss and one that will be hard to fill. Patrick will be missed as well, but Keegan has grown on people very quickly. If they get Jo Phan and/or Nic Nadeau to compete, two guys from the area, they will have local interest.

I think Kaetlyn is doing the right move for her, and i think ha skate Canada is probably behind her in that decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Ontarians planning to spend over $1000 per person (once tickets, hotels, travel, etc. is factored in) to travel to Montreal to attend a major international competition are unlikely to be diverted to an ice show in Barrie.

Beside which, speaking as somebody who bought SCI tickets over a month ago, SCI tickets (particularly the good seats) are already mostly sold.

I bought my seats at the presales MONTHS ago... xmas time...

Haleth

On the Ice

What 4everchan said. Plus, if Shoma or especially Yuzuru appear, most or all of the remaining tickets will likely be sold. I suspect many tickets were sold outside Canada long ago because there was always a fair possibility one of them would be there. I mean, ACI tickets last year sold out within 15 minutes, and yesterday the first round of presale tickets for ACI this year still were all gone within a couple hours. They opened more and now only Thursday passes are left, until the main sale starts on the 19th. Let me tell you I expect those tickets to go extremely fast again, even without the biggest Canadian stars present. I will be in a sweat until I nab at least one Saturday/all-event pass in those precious minutes of availability.

So I imagine that the CBC livestream will still be quite busy for SCI. As for any broadcasts, they might reasonably expect a fall in the year after the Olympics, correct? Still, given how well SOI went, there still might be a significant bump thanks to the Oly, SOI, and the upcoming Thank You tour. I'll be in Laval, but I'll still be recording the CTV or CBC broadcasts to watch when I get back. Why wouldn't people attending the tour do the same? I would not be surprised if the show will inspire more interest, perhaps enough to offset a significant part of the loss in a non-Oly year..

NaVi

Medalist

It's kind of sad that with Canada hosting the GPF that none of the Canadians on the gold medal winning team will be on the Grand Prix because of a tour. I highly doubt Osmond had much to do with organizing the tour and there would be a hole without her. I don't really hold it against her(and I previously ranted about all the skaters skipping after Worlds/Olympics) and I doubt many in the ISU will either since Canada would be the one missing out for the home Grand Prix event.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think so. The tour will be just arriving to Ontario by the weekend of SCI which is in Montreal... it's not like the tour is coming near Montreal at all...closest being Quebec city... Also, for having been to different events (SOI and Nationals and ACI) in the region, the competitive skating public is very different from the SOI public. THere were many family/children/kids with parents at SOI compared to the competitive events I have been to.

I do not think that Skate Canada will lose money because Kaetlyn will be skipping, especially since it opens the door to our national champion Gabby... V/M will be "sort of" replaced by Weapo... Duhamel and Radford in Montreal will be a much bigger loss and one that will be hard to fill. Patrick will be missed as well, but Keegan has grown on people very quickly. If they get Jo Phan and/or Nic Nadeau to compete, two guys from the area, they will have local interest.

I think Kaetlyn is doing the right move for her, and i think ha skate Canada is probably behind her in that decision.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought my seats at the presales MONTHS ago... xmas time...

I am quite sure Skate Canada is behind Kaetlyn. It's the ISU that may be far from pleased with her. By "viewership" I was referring to ONLINE viewership of which ISU gets a cut. Gabby Daleman, Keegan Messing and Joseph Phan can't make up for the absence of Osmond for some non-Canadian viewers.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am quite sure Skate Canada is behind Kaetlyn. It's the ISU that may be far from pleased with her. By "viewership" I was referring to ONLINE viewership of which ISU gets a cut. Gabby Daleman, Keegan Messing and Joseph Phan can't make up for the absence of Osmond for some non-Canadian viewers.

fair enough but again, now that Kaetlyn is not at SCI, it means that most likely Satoko, Wakaba or Carolina (or Alina if Caro is out) will be at SCI... perhaps it's even a better thing for the ISU streaming as you mention.