2021-2022 Team China Update | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Team China Update

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Wang/Huang have improved so much, I thought they were really unimpressive on the JGP and thought the third Olympic spot was a pipe dream but they've really improved, wow. That twist!!!

Here is their program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhuL_IzYws
Right?! I'm also very excited about this "behind the scenes" training the team's been getting now. Maybe they all have made great strides. The improvement from W/H makes me very hopeful that Chinese pairs still has tricks up its sleeve after P/J and S/H retire, too.

brakes

On the Ice
What's going on with Nini, great novice sensation from China?
Shouldn't she have debuted in JGP this year?

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
What's going on with Nani, great novice sensation from China?
Shouldn't she have debuted in JGP this year?
China didn't send anyone to the JGP - but Xiangyi (Nini, not Nani, BTW!) participated in the local Grand Prix.

The channel has some of her other performances, and a lot of other Team China performances from this season's grand prix (well club league as they call it lol) too (think they uploaded them from Weibo). She's clearly grown, and I think she needs more work on her basics and overall skating, but I'm happy to see her jumps have more strength to them than before, and still a good spinner. Think she would have done well on the JGP though.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Love Wang/Huang's LP too, works well with their speed, have great transitions that aren't overdone (and with good body positions to boot), have SBS 3S (!!!!!)... just needed those throws under control.

I think Chinese Pairs needed a kick up its butt :( Worked on a new Pair too late (though who knows where they'd be without the pandemic). But the future seems hopeful if Wang/Huang and Zhang/Yang can step up to it.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Here is their LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ95-RONmYc It really is quite lovely.

They've really turned into such a pleasant surprise. The jumps especially are so impressive. That was probably a freak error on his part on the 3T. Too bad about the throws, she fell on all three so definitely some work to do there. I wonder if it's mental because as far as I could tell she was landing them beautifully in warmup.

Agreed @Skatesocs the next generation of Chinese pairs suddenly look bright again. Whether Huang/Wang stay together or not (is she still getting taller? idk), their improvement speaks volumes.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Here is their LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ95-RONmYc It really is quite lovely.
I like that double catch they do in the Pairs spin... I'm actually quite sad we won't see it at Beijing. Not a masterpiece by any means, but I bet it's a better program than most of what we will see. I think they didn't deserve the third spot after failing all their throws, but I do think they were underscored on PCS, and they have some nice lifts, too.

I wonder if it's mental because as far as I could tell she was landing them beautifully in warmup.
I guess so, they just didn't compete as seniors before this (the local CoC last season doesn't really count), and don't even think they were in the local club competitions this season (can't spot any of the top names either...). Probably a bit too much pressure. She seemed to be overrotating every throw, maybe the timing was off because of nerves. If only they'd been sent to worlds 2021, they'd probably have made the free if they'd skated the SP like they did here, and they wouldn't have had to bother with Nebelhorn :( But IIRC, the rumour was that Wang couldn't get her vaccine because she was underage.

But they're clearly good jumpers. I wonder if they'll succeed with a 3T+3T+2T, her jumps get good height, and have very clean take-offs. And he's not so tall that he can't rotate the jumps, he can seek help from the Chinese coaches who teach the men their jumps.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Might as well ask here. I feel somewhat differently after seeing the Chinese Pair at Nebelhorn, but think there's still a chance China might not send athletes to anywhere outside China (based off W/L not going to Montreal, and Boyang not being at TCC even though he said he wanted to go IIRC... and of course W/L and C/S ditching ACI). But admittedly I am not keeping up with other winter sports currently. Are the Chinese athletes being sent to foreign competitions, or will they be?

Sabine

On the Ice
Might as well ask here. I feel somewhat differently after seeing the Chinese Pair at Nebelhorn, but think there's still a chance China might not send athletes to anywhere outside China (based off W/L not going to Montreal, and Boyang not being at TCC even though he said he wanted to go IIRC... and of course W/L and C/S ditching ACI). But admittedly I am not keeping up with other winter sports currently. Are the Chinese athletes being sent to foreign competitions, or will they be?
Is there any winter sports Chinese athletes are internationally competing at a certain level, except figure skating? Maybe speed skating or short track, but I'm not sure. So it might be difficult to answer this question, because China maybe doesn't have very many world class athletes to send anywhere.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
They also got a medal (a bronze) in long track speed skating at the last OWG. On the 500 meters.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Asian Open updates:

Peng Zhiming being added to the men, but not Han. I guess that's it for him. =/

Do wonder what's up, since Hongyi has been subbed out, too.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Asian Open updates:

Peng Zhiming being added to the men, but not Han. I guess that's it for him. =/

Do wonder what's up, since Hongyi has been subbed out, too.
Could it be that they're maybe both injured so they're being left alone to be healthy for the OG?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Could it be that they're maybe both injured so they're being left alone to be healthy for the OG?
Hongyi, maybe. Han is probably not injury. As stated, he's not been on the national team (and probably not training in the Beijing rink, as a result) since his return. That he's been withdrawn from all events, and isn't being assigned to anything new, only further serves to make me think he's done.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The gossiping messages from Chinese forum (Baidu) hinted that the same will happen/is happening to Hongyi as well, as she's no longer part of the National team.
I didn't know Hongyi was removed from the national team too... Who is on it now, then, for the women? Zhu Yi? That's the only one I can think of, and she's at Asian Open.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
...'forced' to be done. The gossiping messages from Chinese forum (Baidu) hinted that the same will happen/is happening to Hongyi as well, as she's no longer part of the National team.
What?! How is that possible? I don't understand Chinese Fed's reasoning :scratch2: Yan placed higher than Jin at WC, so why would they diminish their top placement chances like this?

yqs100

On the Ice
What?! How is that possible? I don't understand Chinese Fed's reasoning :scratch2: Yan placed higher than Jin at WC, so why would they diminish their top placement chances like this?
dont forget - the training model is different from a lot of other countries. in china, the fed pays for everything,,,, if you dont want to be part of the system, it's difficult for the fed to manage things...