2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate

badknees

Medalist
Huh???? He will be 23 at the next Olympics (older than Nathan is now). Not sending him for Olympic experience now is basically US Feds way of saying they have no confidence in his future. It’s so ugly. I hope that Jasons 11th place finish is worth it (and I say that as someone who loved Jason).
I thought Ilia is 17? that will make him 21 in 4 yrs,

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When a few quads are required to win, it matters. The casual viewer wants to see what cannot be done by others. It is always the case that there is so much love for skaters who seem to have everything but jumps that they are seen to deserve placement above others, even when the motto is Faster, Higher, Stronger.
2 quad difference ?
okay
4 quads?
Seriously?
It's as if jumps are least important element.

Jason is beautiful on the ice, but if I want to see something with great emphasis on artistry, I would go see an ice show or a world famous dance company performance.

By the current standards, 1 or 2 quads should be the minimum requirement (for Team USA).
If "artistry" is special, 4 or 5 quads are too.

Right, there was an article talking about his options. His parents thought US was the best choice.

I don’t care about quads.

taikwan

On the Ice
Oh, believe me, i am very happy. I am looking forward at team event, and hoping Brown will skate here. I mean our Russian men need all help they can get.
Also...wonder why his family thought the US was ...I don't know.....a better place to dream, perhaps?

taikwan

On the Ice
When a few quads are required to win, it matters. The casual viewer wants to see what cannot be done by others. It is always the case that there is so much love for skaters who seem to have everything but jumps that they are seen to deserve placement above others, even when the motto is Faster, Higher, Stronger.
2 quad difference ?
okay
4 quads?
Seriously?
It's as if jumps are least important element.

Jason is beautiful on the ice, but if I want to see something with great emphasis on artistry, I would go see an ice show or a world famous dance company performance.

By the current standards, 1 or 2 quads should be the minimum requirement (for Team USA).
If "artistry" is special, 4 or 5 quads are too.

Right, there was an article talking about his options. His parents thought US was the best choice.
For .....what, exactly? A better life or a .... what?

taikwan

On the Ice
Prob for going to the Olympics, but I guess it didn't turn out that way.
Well then, if you're willing to trade your country, your nationality, your, dare I say, spirit for living for an Olympic medal....uh.....perhaps this is...nope won't go there. Just asking for consideration. How do we establish nationality anyway? I can understand escaping repercussion due to political/religious beliefs but to change nationalities for - well here we are again, aren't we? I want the option to remain open....but...but...

frida80

Record Breaker
I see this going to be the new "Vincent vs. Jason going to worlds 2017" argument 2.0. That debate lasted for like four months! A controversial decision, which I think was for the best at the time. Vincent won worlds and Jason got the third spot back.

As for today's decisions, I think was complicated. But I think the main decider was Vincent bombing his FS. If he had done well, USFS could assign him to the team event FS without much worry. Instead, it was clear his nerves are still a problem. Jason is more consistent and would at least not drop to the bottom.

According to the rules, Jason was more likely to be chosen because of his body of work and the stability of his international scores. Ilia wasn't consistent during the fall. Yes he won at the junior level, but it wasn't clean. This was his best performance. It's not uncommon for skaters to skate their very best at nationals after a mixed season.

I maybe there are other reasons under the radar. Maybe NBC wants feel good comeback story for ratings. Who know? All I know is this decision won't stop Ilia. It's the beginning of his story. Michelle Kwan was left off the Olympic team in 1994. I've always said that's one of the decisions that pushed her to be better. (The second not medaling in 1995 worlds.) So while Russia is laughing at USFS right now and a lot of people are perplexed and disappointed, maybe slowing down and letting Ilia get more experience will be a better decision in the long run.