2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 78 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate

mrrice

Record Breaker
Because Americans want Brown. They can enjoy Brown for years to come.
Lariko, you need to relax. Americans love Jason because he's been skating and smiling for us for most of his life. He gives his heart and soul for his fans and we love to show our appreciation for him. I don't know why you have a problem with that. He has no power to sway the committee.

dhjh811

On the Ice
I think everyone should keep in mind it is a National championship. Not an Olympic trials. It’s rumbling around in my mind that there’s an actual reason we don’t have an Olympic trials. But I can’t remember what it is.
It still doesn't change that Nationals has always been seen as the crucial determining factor for selecting the Olympic team (yes, ik about Nagasu and Ross Miner, but my point still stands). I'm just upset that such a talent who delivered outstanding skates will not be able to compete in Beijing. It's like the results of Nationals were not at all taken into account. Btw, not really directed at you, but it's not that I wish Ilia would be going in place of a specific other skater. I do not wish for either Jason or Vincent to lose their spots, but I am just so sad for Ilia. I've been really excited about him as an American figure skating fan for the past year and going to Beijing could have helped him hone his mental game throughout the next quad. Maybe even an outside chance at top 5 or podium?? (unlikely I know, but a small chance nonetheless). He doesn't seem like the type to be devastated by this, so it could well be that I am taking this too hard haha...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
No, you're just salty because Jason got picked. You're not the SJW for the skating world. I can pretty much guarantee you Ilya isn't obsessing over this "shaft" as much as you are.
Now you are saying that the injured party is actually not injured because you just know. In fact, it’s really even better for him to see the legendary Jason Brown to get his spot. It’s such a wonderful teaching moment. Wow, that’s pretty cruel and cynical way of making it okay.

Also, in the interview after the skate Malinin clearly stated that his goal is to go to Olympics, and that he deserves to go.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Because Americans want Brown. They can enjoy Brown for years to come.
Lariko, you need to relax. Americans love Jason because he's been skating and smiling for us for most of his life. He gives his heart and soul for his fans and we love to show our appreciation for him. I don't know why you have a problem with that. He has no power to sway the committee.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Which is all fine and good, until someone gets shafted for Brown. even with the win this clean. Even with 6 quads. Two cleanest skates. Lutz and flip… just inconceivable.

readernick

Medalist
It still doesn't change that Nationals has always been seen as the crucial determining factor for selecting the Olympic team. I'm just upset that such a talent who delivered outstanding skates will not be able to compete in Beijing. It's like the results of Nationals were not at all taken into account. Btw, not really directed at you, but it's not that I wish Ilia would be going in place of a specific other skater. I do not wish for either Jason or Vincent to lose their spots, but I am just so sad for Ilia. I've been really excited for him for the past year and going to Beijing could have helped him hone his mental game throughout the next quad. Maybe even an outside chance at top 5 or podium?? (unlikely I know, but a small chance nonetheless). He doesn't seem like the type to be devastated by this, so it could well be that I am taking this too hard haha...
This is fair. I think Ilya will be fine though. I don't think he thought he had a realistic shot at the Olympics prior to this weekend. This weekend put him on everyone's radar. He has 4 years to prove to everyone he is wonderful. But, in terms of the selection criteria. They were known to everyone since the beginning of the season. Most of us realized the team was definitely going to be Vincent, Jason, Nathan regardless of Nationals. If you object to the selection criteria, that's fine. But, this result was not unexpected and another result would have been unfair given the criteria that was named prior to the Olympics season starting.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see this going to be the new "Vincent vs. Jason going to worlds 2017" argument 2.0. That debate lasted for like four months! A controversial decision, which I think was for the best at the time. Vincent won worlds and Jason got the third spot back.

As for today's decisions, I think was complicated. But I think the main decider was Vincent bombing his FS. If he had done well, USFS could assign him to the team event FS without much worry. Instead, it was clear his nerves are still a problem. Jason is more consistent and would at least not drop to the bottom.

According to the rules, Jason was more likely to be chosen because of his body of work and the stability of his international scores. Ilia wasn't consistent during the fall. Yes he won at the junior level, but it wasn't clean. This was his best performance. It's not uncommon for skaters to skate their very best at nationals after a mixed season.

I maybe there are other reasons under the radar. Maybe NBC wants feel good comeback story for ratings. Who know? All I know is this decision won't stop Ilia. It's the beginning of his story. Michelle Kwan was left off the Olympic team in 1994. I've always said that's one of the decisions that pushed her to be better. (The second not medaling in 1995 worlds.) So while Russia is laughing at USFS right now and a lot of people are perplexed and disappointed, maybe slowing down and letting Ilia get more experience will be a better decision in the long run.

This.

I guess it's because I lived through the great "Jason v. Vincent" debate and the ohmagerd we're discouraging young talent and Worlds isn't a popularity contest and we need to give the young guns this and that.

And Jason going to Worlds was the right decision then and Vincent turned out just fine afterwards without treating Worlds like it was a training camp.

And before that, Adam Rippon and his one iffy quad wins Nats over Nathan Chen. Nathan Chen! Quads! Young! The future is being discouraged! Now Nathan was named to that Worlds Team and ended up not going due to injury. I am sorry for that, but Grant Hochstein had the skate of his life at Worlds and I think that Nathan kid turned out pretty well too. ;)

This too shall pass :)

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Nathan, Ilia (pending achieving min technical score) and Vincent named to Worlds team. Jason, Camden, Jimmy alternates according to Figure Skaters Online tweet.
Seems like they'll be sending Ilia to Bavarian Open then? Unless there's another competition I don't know about.

EDIT: Looked into it and there's a lot of options, I'll be interested to see where he goes.

dhjh811

On the Ice
This is fair. I think Ilya will be fine though. I don't think he thought he had a realistic shot at the Olympics prior to this weekend. This weekend put him on everyone's radar. He has 4 years to prove to everyone he is wonderful. But, in terms of the selection criteria. They were known to everyone since the beginning of the season. Most of us realized the team was definitely going to be Vincent, Jason, Nathan regardless of Nationals. If you object to the selection criteria, that's fine. But, this result was not unexpected and another result would have been unfair given the criteria that was named prior to the Olympics season starting.
do you happen to know what priority groups each of them are according to the criteria that USFS set?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Seems like they'll be sending Ilia to Bavarian Open then? Unless there's another competition I don't know about.

EDIT: Looked into it and there's a lot of options, I'll be interested to see where he goes.
The only other option is 4CC.

edit: no, 4CC is out, it has a team announced. He will have to find a qualifying competition

ks777

Record Breaker
Do you remember the music that Malinin skated to in the LP? Me neither. It's like it wasn't there. He's a great kid who can jump like crazy and good for him! But to give him such high artistry marks is nuts. His artistry will come, no doubt. I know that Jason will be a very dark horse for the Olympic podium but he provides such joy in his very good triple jumps and his superb spins, foot work and expression. Ilia can cetainly learn from Nathan Chen and Mikail Kolyada who honed their artistry after excelling at jumps.
To be honest, I don't remember what music Jason Brown skated to either.. his skating bores me...

Horsefeathers

On the Ice
Interesting that Nathan and Vincent are on the list for Worlds. If Nathan gets Oly gold, I would expect him to withdraw, unless he wants to put an exclamation point on his career of battling with Yuzu for the title of GOAT. Of course that depends on whether Yuzu wants to go to Worlds too. I expect Yuzu to retire at the end of whatever competition he lands the 4A at. If he doesn't land it at Olys, he'll go to Worlds. If he doesn't land it there, it wouldn't surprise me if he came back for one more season just to get credit for that jump. And then he'll get it in his head to do a 4A-3T and then .... :pray:

Vincent? I don't even know what to think/predict about him. His performance today could either get him so riled up that he'll come out guns blazing at Olys (the preferred outcome; I love a skater who can channel their anger into amazing performances like Nathan did in 2018) or he might get caught up in his own head.

Ilia gets his shot assuming he gets the tech. I hope he does, because I want to see what he can do on the world stage. Maybe he can justify all the pearl-clutching on his behalf today.