2023-2024 Russian Nationals Jumping Championships | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2023-2024 Russian Nationals Jumping Championships

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Psychologically she seems unbreakable to me. At this young age I dont remember anybody with her level of mental integrity. But physically I think they are going to push her over the limit. Some girls are built for the iron hand training - she isnt.
Psychologically, she seems far from unbreakable to me. There are few skaters who I've seen get as emotional as often as Lena, even among skaters as young her.

Being able to withstand pressure in competition is one thing, but being able to withstand the pressure of expectations (from yourself, your parents, coaches, or fans) and keep the joy and motivation outweighing the negativity is another, and that's what I'm worried about for her (see Kevin Aymoz, though he's much older).

alix15

On the Ice
Country
France
I think she'll keep her triples for a very long time, and obviously her skating skills, but her mental & physical health are what I'm worried about, especially with her mother. :( The future of her quad(s) will also really depend on that.
Her body is very fragile and i think she will be the kind of skater who will struggle a lot with injuries.

Btw, i saw there was dramas with her mother but didn’t found out what exactly. Can someone summarize quickly what’s the matter?

Skating91

Medalist
The internationals are going to turn Kostyleva's fall into 9/11 so they can ignore Bazyluk's immortal performances

Haha they will latch on to it. All that is evil with Russia and Russian skating.

What's the coach supposed to do in that situation? They see these falls all the time and know when it is serious or not, and she does seem to have the temperament where she cries when something goes wrong like with the salchow yesterday.

It's a sport with no medical time outs, and skaters all over the world are told from a young age to get up straight away and skate through the pain.

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Trankov pronounces Liza's surname differently than it's usually done. This caused a debate in the comments on the Russian resourses. In fact, no one really knows how to pronounce it correctly, even from Liza's interview it is not clear how to pronounce it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think you need to look up what cyberbully means, you are constantly using it in very unfitting ways.
Yes, cyberbullying now means protesting sending a girl in obvious pain to go jump a quad after a quick-freeze. Horrible, horrible people who can't see the greatness of tough training.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Psychologically, she seems far from unbreakable to me. There are few skaters who I've seen get as emotional as often as Lena, even among skaters as young her.

Being able to withstand pressure in competition is one thing, but being able to withstand the pressure of expectations (from yourself, your parents, coaches, or fans) and keep the joy and motivation outweighing the negativity is another, and that's what I'm worried about for her (see Kevin Aymoz, though he's much older).
Yes, you're definitely right about expectations. That can take down anybody.

But being overtly emotional isnt really correlated one way or another with mental strength. Its just how you express yourself. Muravieva is also a crybaby but has demonstrated the highest level of determination and fortitude.

Kostyleva doesnt cry and lie on the ice, she cries then gets even more invigorated and goes for the next attempt even harder - I've seen it consistently. She is a classic fighter. The strong quiet type is very rare with our young girls, I can think only of Shcherbakova. The rest are all strong but very expressive.

Caliban

On the Ice
1705844593874.jpg

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What's the coach supposed to do in that situation?
Simple: take the athletes of the ice. How difficult can it be to wrap your mind around this concept that injury means injury, and ignoring injuries and gaslighting athlets about their body signaling that something is wrong is counterproductive and plain cruel.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Haha they will latch on to it. All that is evil with Russia and Russian skating.

What's the coach supposed to do in that situation? They see these falls all the time and know when it is serious or not, and she does seem to have the temperate where she cries when something goes wrong like with the salchow yesterday.

It's a sport with no medical time outs, and skaters all over the world are told from a young age to get up straight away and skate through the pain.
You should have seen reddit yesterday, on every video of Bazyluk's 4-1-4 historical brilliance: "Eteri will rot" "Eteri wont see heaven" "Poor girl"... absolute quotes of exact comments, these people are demon possessed.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Yes, cyberbullying now means protesting sending a girl in obvious pain to go jump a quad after a quick-freeze. Horrible, horrible people who can't see the greatness of tough training.

I mean I don't know if they could feel the arm was okay, but it's so strange and actually upsetting me some people cannot understand that some people are genuinely worried for kids. Like, are they never?