Copyright question re: Skate America videos on youtube | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Copyright question re: Skate America videos on youtube

sisinka

Medalist
No. The videos are not from a US TV station such as NBC, it's actually from a Chinese TV station CCTV5. The videos were not uploaded from U.S. to youtube, they are viewable to people in other countries.

I have the same problem with one video from NTV+ (Russian chanel). I understand that it is a nonsense to pay for something what you can see on youtube (so icenetwork want to stop youtube uploading of SA videos). But I don't understand how U.S. Figure Skating can decide about other country chanel's videos. It is like Alexei Mishin would try to command Kimmie Meissner what to jump in her free skate.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
these channels aren't using just their equipment, though. They are using the same camera feeds as the US network(s) they've probably bought the rights to use the footage for their broadcast. Even if it's live they're connected into the NBC footage.

jcoates

Medalist
Ugh, that's terrible. They had so many great, essential videos.

Anyone remember emdiaz? That person had a ton of skating videos and their account was suspended nearly 2 years ago.

It's really horrible, people who try to erase this historical documentation.

The Skate America thing I can understand.

But, I don't see anyone trying to release a definitive DVD of the 1980 Olympics or 1990 World Championships or anything like that. The censorship is an outrage.

That's exactly my point. my job deals with some intellectual property and copyright issues, but much of the content I'm talking about is more than ten years old. It's never going to put into wide circulation again. This is taking the relevant law and stretching their definitions to such a point that it may actually drive skating fans away. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Antman, thanks for yopur contributions to this thread. I understand the issues quite a bit better.

Still -- it is pretty hard to control what people post to the Internet. If I were the USFSA I would take the position, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

They ought to be glad that people are posting figure skating videos on You Tube that are getting thousands of hits. The more publicity for the sport the better. I don't think anyone is refusing to go to skating shows or cancelling their subscription to Icenetwork just becasue there are free skating videos on You Tube. It might even draw in more customers.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
but then there are people like me who don't mind not being able to watch teh stuff live and so I don't subscribe to ice network because - hey! in a couple of hours I'll find it all on youtube!

but then there are people like me who don't mind not being able to watch teh stuff live and so I don't subscribe to ice network because - hey! in a couple of hours I'll find it all on youtube!
Plus -- the best of all worlds -- I can read the play-by-play live on Golden Skate, then watch the videos later. :agree:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that's how this college student does it.

while this whole thing is frustrating, I understand the reasoning behind it. They're just as strict when it comes to who can and cannot sell their photos ( I can't even been reimbersed if a parent wants prints of their skater... ) so as long as they're consistent across the board it doesn't surprise or anger me.

Love_Skate

Rinkside
This seems happening all over the world. In Korea SBS has an exclusive right to broadcast SA and they requested youtube Korea and other video forums to pull down videos of SA uploaded from Korea, and the videos are being deleted one by one. :disapp:
I heard that youtube has a policy to terminate a membership if s/he violates the intellectual property law more than four times. All videos uploaded by the member are deleted as soon as the membership is terminated even if not all videos violate the law. I think that all tripleaxel96's videos might be deleted at the same time s/he lost the membership at youtube.

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Although I don't usally watch YouTube have seen some videos that I'd never would have. And enjoyed them. Strange part of all this is after I say this it will probably get pulled off. But just in the Skate Canada GP thread and yestardays comps. are there.
I do get IceNetwork and enjoyed yestardays Skate Canada no one talking over the skating, you got just skating and music, when the skater finished still no one saying what they missed, how good that jump/spin was.
To me it's worth the $29.95, can't go for that price, and NBC sure isn't going to show it.

babyoscar

On the Ice
footage

not if they - the international television networks - have a contract with the USFSA that says otherwise. (which I imagine they do) - and they were probably using the US camera feed, just dubbing their own commentary. Therefore it is not their exclusive property.

If I remember correctly, what you said is correct. Because when I watch other country's feed, the camera angles are the same. If people doesn't like how youtube is complying with copyright law, they are free to open and support videos on their own sites. Or find other sites where you can post/find those videos. I do appreciate all those people trying to upload Skater America videos on youtube, even if short lived, I have enjoyed watching them.

antmanb

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, what you said is correct. Because when I watch other country's feed, the camera angles are the same. If people doesn't like how youtube is complying with copyright law, they are free to open and support videos on their own sites. Or find other sites where you can post/find those videos. I do appreciate all those people trying to upload Skater America videos on youtube, even if short lived, I have enjoyed watching them.

While i do agree that people are free to start whatever sites they like, people do not seem to be objecting to how youtube are complying with copyright laws, rather, people are objecting to the fact that youtube are complying with copyright laws!

Ant

babyoscar

On the Ice
Youtube

While i do agree that people are free to start whatever sites they like, people do not seem to be objecting to how youtube are complying with copyright laws, rather, people are objecting to the fact that youtube are complying with copyright laws!

Ant

personally I have no problem with Youtube pulling down videos, knowing fully some videos violate copyright law. But I can understand some people's frustration as they may not able to get the skating channels regardless how much money they are willing to pay, such as Ice Network. I think people are mad because for years Youtube never followed copyright law until the last 2-3 years. And of course Youtube have videos from Skate Canada , but not Skate America, people may have hard time understanding why some videos are allowed while others are not. But I agree with another poster getting rid of all USFSA videos on Youtube does not help figure skating popularity. And if people do not like Youtube, they can start their own site and will realize how much work it is. Remember the Stage66 site that closed down because it was too much work for the web owners at that site!

antmanb

Record Breaker
personally I have no problem with Youtube pulling down videos, knowing fully some videos violate copyright law. But I can understand some people's frustration as they may not able to get the skating channels regardless how much money they are willing to pay, such as Ice Network. I think people are mad because for years Youtube never followed copyright law until the last 2-3 years. And of course Youtube have videos from Skate Canada , but not Skate America, people may have hard time understanding why some videos are allowed while others are not. But I agree with another poster getting rid of all USFSA videos on Youtube does not help figure skating popularity. And if people do not like Youtube, they can start their own site and will realize how much work it is. Remember the Stage66 site that closed down because it was too much work for the web owners at that site!

Like MM said earlier - policing intellectual property rights breaches on the internet is an extremely difficult if nigh on impossible job. That is why some things are done almost instantly and others are not. Obviously USFSA were waiting in the wings to have videos removed. It might be nice if USFSA actualyl decided to host all the videos to whcih they own the copyright, and i'm sure if they charged a subscription fee people wouldn't mind paying to say a back catalogue of events.

It is also worth looknig into how long US copyright for broadcasts lasts - it might be that copyright protection in footage from the 70s and early 80s might have ended now.

Ant

babyoscar

On the Ice
copyright

Like MM said earlier - policing intellectual property rights breaches on the internet is an extremely difficult if nigh on impossible job. That is why some things are done almost instantly and others are not. Obviously USFSA were waiting in the wings to have videos removed. It might be nice if USFSA actualyl decided to host all the videos to whcih they own the copyright, and i'm sure if they charged a subscription fee people wouldn't mind paying to say a back catalogue of events.

It is also worth looknig into how long US copyright for broadcasts lasts - it might be that copyright protection in footage from the 70s and early 80s might have ended now.

Ant

No idea about TV footage, but I know for books is 95 years, this is US only though, it can be totally different story for other countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

antmanb

Record Breaker
No idea about TV footage, but I know for books is 95 years, this is US only though, it can be totally different story for other countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

In the UK (and i think a fair number of European countries) copyright in literary and artistic works is 70 years after the death fo the author/artist, but there are shorter periods in place for corporate owners and for broadcasts in particular.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This YouTube "crack down thing is really making me mad. I understand but a number of my videos have been "removed" do to these silly little issues of C.R. I understand much of the Cartoon Network ones because they are selling the videos - like it will help in selling to take out people "snips" of C.N opposed to the whole thing, whatever. Blame us when really no one likes them enough to buy but would help possibility wise ... Haven't they heard about the Guitar Hero case against the Rammon's. Fools - but music with a different video that is Mono is not going to hurt their sales. "Farggen" Idiots.

Ah it feels good to rant.:cool:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IceNetwork is selling a subscription. what's the difference if you're selling them on DVD or online streaming?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I got to say I am a little pleased with some of the result I found today regarding my YT site. 4 bands have approved use of their music on my page to the vids.

I am working on NIN right now, but wonder if it is not Sailor Moon that is disputing the vid. ???? Anyhoo I just removed the sound to So I Fall Again from Phantom Planet because those small timers did not approve although the song came off a free promotional CD. And the song was not that great anyhow, just fit the vid. Think their issue was because it is not at all what the intent of the lyrics were and felt their fan base maybe so small minded they couldn't decipher the true meaning of the song and it was slightly parodied to F.S. Must be F.S hate again. Eegad the things bands choose to qualm about while being self-defeatist at the same time. After all it had been on there for a long time and had over 20,000 view as just coincidence would say Phantom Planet has has a SLIGHT resurge of interest in their music. Yah sure nothing to do with the vid I am sure - or am I???? Also the Mono sound should not be anything satisfactory to a listener if they really like the music anyhow.

Whatever, but I cannot tell you how happy I am that Garbage gave the :agree: WOW!!!!

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
To fully understand and appreciate the YouTube crackdown, perform this little exercise ...................

Remember Caroline Zhang's wonderful, tear jerking free skate at Nationals back in January?

Find it on YouTube !!!! :biggrin:

Raatkirani

On the Ice
I feel so bad for tripleaxel96. He put so much effort in uploading old competitions--it was a great trip down memory lane and it was renewing my interest in figure skating. I understand there is a copyright issue, but it's really nonsensical law when the companies owning the copyrights have done nothing to put out DVD's for sale or to upload the videos themselves. I personally loved looking at the videos from the late 80's to mid 90's, when my love affair with skating was at its peak. But it's exactly this Big Brother/"nyah nyah nyah" attitude that will once again turn me off from skating. The poster wasn't making any money off of it, and the organizations owning the rights certainly weren't losing revenue (after all, exactly what is for sale out there), so what's the problem?! Come on ISU and USFSA and IOC, just where on God's green earth am I supposed to watch 1991 world pairs competition or the the 1994 Men's Olympic competition or 1994 Skate America? I don't recall seeing the DVDs for sale at my local Walmart. Only true fans care about the old stuff. You're completely hoarding footage without giving access to the public. Shame on you.