2023 Skate America Pairs Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Pairs Free Skate

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My stomach is still queasy from all the lift aborts or wobbles, but I really enjoyed the last 3 pairs.

By the way, I will go on record as saying I really like Chelsea's blond hair. I've gotten used to it, now love it. Wasn't sure a few weeks ago, but I like the whitish-blond better than the yellowish.

Plus, I can really understand why she wanted to do something visual to symbolize her new beginning.:dance3:

She and Balazs have a GP medal! Only 5 months after partnering! I'm looking forward to watching them for a long time.

To people who are worried about her health, well it's understandable. But she really took her time and every precaution to healing. She followed her concussion protocol to the letter. She said the only exercise she did for 8 months was walk up and down the stairs at home.
This is the reference, and it's a very good read. https://adivinesport.com/2023/10/18/were-back-the-surprising-return-of-chelsea-liu-balazs-nagy/

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My stomach is still queasy from all the lift aborts or wobbles, but I really enjoyed the last 3 pairs.

By the way, I will go on record as saying I really like Chelsea's blond hair. I've gotten used to it, now love it. Wasn't sure a few weeks ago, but I like the whitish-blond better than the yellowish.

Plus, I can really understand why she wanted to do something visual to symbolize her new beginning.:dance3:

She and Balazs have a GP medal! Only 5 months after partnering! I'm looking forward to watching them for a long time.

To people who are worried about her health, well it's understandable. But she really took her time and every precaution to healing. She followed her concussion protocol to the letter. She said the only exercise she did for 8 months was walk up and down the stairs at home.
Recovery is important. That's why it's a protocol.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
For some reason I thought Liu and Nagy already had a second spot! I can see now that they don't.

Which pairs are eligible for the cup of China spot that's available?
Roscher/Schuster, Osipova/Epstein (though they withdrew from SkAM, so I'm guessing no), Beccari/Guarise, Caldara/Maglio, Vouillamoz/Giniaux, Valesi/Piazza, Vaipan-Law/Digby, Gamez/Korovin, Piegad/Strekalin, Simioli/Zarbo would be the 10 highest ranked teams from last season without two assignments.

Now it depends on what the Chinese fed wants to do - Choose someone who is unlikely to be a podium threat, or choose someone like Beccari/Guarise who could challenge for the GPF if they had two assignments.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Ok, so some crashy twists and scary / aborted lifts, but I still love LOVE pairs! :slink: Audience thank you for being so encouraging to the skaters. Now go out into that hot Texas sun, have some Margaritas and some awesome Tex-Mex food! 🌮 🍸
You are making me hungry. :laugh:

Andrea82

Medalist
Marks breakdown

Ogawa (Japan): P/M by 1 point over H/K
Johnson (USA): P/M leading by over 7 points
Vuylsteker (France): Liu/Nagy first. Germans 5 points ahead of Canadians
Abele (Latvia): P/M by 3 points over Germans
LeBlanc-Richaud (Canada): P/M by 1 point
van Gerwen-Maas (Netherlands): P/M by less than 0.5 ahead
Liu (China): Germans ahead of Canadians by 10 points. She had Liu/Nagy in 2nd
De Agostini (Italy): Germans ahead by 8+ points
Stahnke (Germany): Germans by 3 points

Last edited:

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Roscher/Schuster, Osipova/Epstein (though they withdrew from SkAM, so I'm guessing no), Beccari/Guarise, Caldara/Maglio, Vouillamoz/Giniaux, Valesi/Piazza, Vaipan-Law/Digby, Gamez/Korovin, Piegad/Strekalin, Simioli/Zarbo would be the 10 highest ranked teams from last season without two assignments.

Now it depends on what the Chinese fed wants to do - Choose someone who is unlikely to be a podium threat, or chose someone like Beccari/Guarise who could challenge for the GPF if they had two assignments.

Do China have a pair who are a podium threat? I know Peng did very well with her previous partner, but I haven't seen her and Wang together and so don't know if they have a realistic chance of the podium or GP final.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Terrible coverage. Peacock ended the stream, without letting us see the pairs victors' interview. They simply do not care. And neither does U.S. figure skating. Where is the RD replay???

Looks like Val & Max did well enough to move up, but their performance was not shown. Reading a review of how they did isn't the same as seeing them. I'll have to make changes in my platform viewing. New technology landscapes and pay-per-view streaming sucks to the nth degree.

So, the final results are fairly expected, but everyone could have skated better, particularly in the free program. Had Lia/ Trennt turned it on to skate clean in the free, there would have been a bit more excitement to the competition, with them placing more pressure on H/K, but that didn't happen. Oh well, start of the series, and that's a wrap for SA pairs. Hopefully, there will be more excitement and stepping up by teams at other GP events.

Liu/ Nagy are going to be a work-in-progress for awhile. They have some exciting attributes, but Chels has to figure out the jump landings. Modifying to doubles in a pinch, does not cut it long term.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Do China have a pair who are a podium threat? I know Peng did very well with her previous partner, but I haven't seen her and Wang together and so don't know if they have a realistic chance of the podium or GP final.
If they can land their sbs triples, I do think so. They narrowly beat Hocke/Kunkel at Shanghai Trophy with a score of 180.67, though that was down to H/K having a bit of a meltdown at the end of their FS as Annika fell during the pairs spin and they lost the whole element.

Basically, H/K, G/A & P/W currently land in a similar scoring bracket, and it will probably be down to the sbs jumps on who will end up on the podium.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The Italian team have nice lines, and like a number of pairs teams, and at least 2 ice dance teams, they went for a vampire theme. 🧛‍♀️ But they have no spark at all, and of course, their mistakes didn't help. Sorry for V-L/ Digby. They looked so much improved at Autumn Classic. Too bad this was a bit of a setback. But they'll use it as a learning experience. So far, the men have been the most compelling, and the ice dance was good.

rain

Record Breaker
Overall comments: Please, please, please can they change the rules and stop making the woman grab her skate during lifts. It ruins the lines of most of the lifts. And just ban outright the lift where the woman lies along her own leg perpendicular to the ice in the split position. It's hideous, and everybody does it, so there's not even a novelty factor. Just in general, so many ugly lift positions, so little time.

Lui/Nagy: I see why people are excited about them. They have lovely lines and a nice light quality. And an epic twist.

Pereira/Michaud: Shame about the double axels. They've improved so much in just a year. Triple throws compared to doubles a year ago. The twist wasn't as good here as in the SP. Nice fast pair spin.

Hocke/Kunkle: deserved win here in the LP, while I thought they should not have beaten P/M in the short. Beautiful throws.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Marks breakdown

Ogawa (Japan): P/M by 1 point over H/K
Johnson (USA): P/M leading by over 7 points
Vuylsteker (France): Liu/Nagy first. Germans 5 points ahead of Canadians
Abele (Latvia): P/M by 3 points over Germans
LeBlanc-Richaud (Canada): P/M by 1 point
van Gerwen-Maas (Netherlands): P/M by less than 0.5 ahead
Liu (China): Germans ahead of Canadians by 10 points. She had Liu/Nagy in 2nd
De Agostini (Italy): Germans ahead by 8+ points
Stahnke (Germany): Germans by 3 points
Looking at ordinals only, the Canadians would have won both the SP and LP :)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Yes to "forget the grab the skate" move. At this point I wish they'd give points for NOT grabbing the skate. That is the ugliest, most predictable contortionist move. :mad:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^^Yes to "forget the grab the skate" move. At this point I wish they'd give points for NOT grabbing the skate. That is the ugliest, most predictable contortionist move. :mad:
Why not make it a feature for levels for ONE lift. Not all the time :) I don't like prohibiting stuff... but i also don't like making it pretty much mandatory.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Had the same problem -Peacock home screen said starting in 2 minutes and when I click on, Plazas and Fernandez are getting their scores. Annoying.
I am watching on CBC so i am good... just really "interesting" commentary

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No idea. They withdrew during the week. They are still listed for NHK at the moment.
Spencer Howe had shoulder surgery during the summer, which is why they chose China and NHK for their GPs. But apparently he needs more time to heal, they've WD from China.