2023 Skate America Rhythm Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Rhythm Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I struggled with placing skaters 3-4-5 in my predictions and this helps me sort them out a bit.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That means Max is much closer in age to me than to you, kid :) MINE :)

oh-please-eye-roll.gif

he calls me 'daddy'.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, gang.

(Not that I understand ID judging, so I am just a hanger on).

I don't understand the "Madi and Evan are so overscored" refrain. Particularly here. They were *miles" ahead of the teams that came before them. I saw one twizzle "off" (at least I think I saw it) but that's it. The other teams were either slower, had less refinement, fewer striking elements, etc.

And I quite liked many of the other teams. :)

Now to rest until men.....

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well... i think this ranking is fine. I thought maybe GP may edge the Taschlers but they are pretty much even with them. The rest is good with me. LaLa still have room to improve here. I am a bit sad that GP trashed their Paula Abdul program. I loved her too but not as much as I loved Mylène Farmer ;)

I would have had the Taschlers third here if I were judging on ordinals.

I was glad to see LaLa FINALLY get some respect. Long overdue.

But I hated that Paula Abdul program, and I'm glad they trashed it. This was an excellent debut of their new program, and it will only get better.

Andrea82

Medalist
Detailed scores

France, Spain, Korea and Azerbjain judges had Lopareva/Brissaud into 2nd.
Azeri judge didn't like Lajoie/Lagha and disliked Smart/Dieck (last place).
Spanish judge disliked the Taschlers
Australian judge wasn't impressed by the Browns

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I enjoyed everybody. And Evan and Maddy were having the best time out there! So good to see. Oona and Gage have really upped their speed. Olivia and Tim are going to be a great team, give them a season or two.

I will rewatch the whole thing!!!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Madi and Evan 😍 Love it - great vehicle for them. I held my breath through the whole thing after seeing the fall in practice.

What a great rhythm dance competition from top to bottom - no major errors... actual variety in music choices among them and a really fun time! Kudos to all!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry, gang.

(Not that I understand ID judging, so I am just a hanger on).

I don't understand the "Madi and Evan are so overscored" refrain. Particularly here. They were *miles" ahead of the teams that came before them. I saw one twizzle "off" (at least I think I saw it) but that's it. The other teams were either slower, had less refinement, fewer striking elements, etc.

And I quite liked many of the other teams. :)

Now to rest until men.....
I don't think they are super overscored here, but I admit that I often think that of them, just not today :) (my friends too btw LOL) Today : the twizzles were overscored live. But take half a point away... that won't change much. I saw a few iffy moments for Evan here and there, again, nothing to change the score that much. I think they were the best today. Zach and Marjo are not done polishing their dance. Lopareva Brissaud were really excellent and true to character. I think what people may complain about is the triple axel lead they have going into the FD. People love a tight competition. However, even with a harsher panel, I don't think they would have been more than 2-3 points lower than how they ended up, so still a huge lead on the others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Detailed scores

France, Spain, Korea and Azerbjain judges had Lopareva/Brissaud into 2nd.
Azeri judge didn't like Lajoie/Lagha and disliked Smart/Dieck (last place).
Spanish judge disliked the Taschlers
Australian judge wasn't impressed by the Browns
nice try by the korean judge to put LALA in sixth (like the Azeri judge)... WOW

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think it must be hard for Madi to keep up as they have a significant height difference. Her moves are always gonna look tinier next to Evan.
I think mostly it's just how Schpilband built up couples. It's very much traditional (Old-fashioned) ice dance. He liked a tiny woman, who could perform well and a strong man to drag the woman around the ice. That's how he set up teams, and despite the montreal influence, it doesn't undo the years of Schpilband (yes Tessa/scott, shibs etc did have schpilband, but I think Marina Zoueva had her own influence on direction of programs for these athletes).

Madi has improved a lot in skating with Montreal, as they tend to like well balanced couples rather than the traditional ice dance, and I think Evan has improved in performance. But the skating skills are still not on the highest level.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I will not pretend I am an expert on ice dance. But I would love some expert to explain to me why their skating skills are considered much better than the others, because from what I see they are not even the best.
They also don't really dance the music in this program, they are skating and doing their thing, but it's not necessarily the music.
I don't get their levels.
The only thing that really stands out to me are their lifts.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think mostly it's just how Schpilband built up couples. It's very much traditional (Old-fashioned) ice dance. He liked a tiny woman, who could perform well and a strong man to drag the woman around the ice. That's how he set up teams, and despite the montreal influence, it doesn't undo the years of Schpilband (yes Tessa/scott, shibs etc did have schpilband, but I think Marina Zoueva had her own influence on direction of programs for these athletes).

Madi has improved a lot in skating with Montreal, as they tend to like well balanced couples rather than the traditional ice dance, and I think Evan has improved in performance. But the skating skills are still not on the highest level.
This is not true. I don't have time to respond in detail, but Madi & Evan initiated the partnership and Igor had reservations over the height difference. Somewhere there is an article about this.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yay!! I missed the dance. Happy to see the Canadians in second place though… I was worried they would be lower base on how they scored in their last competition. Now, I can enjoy their performance in peace. Go Canada 🇨🇦

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
This is not true. I don't have time to respond in detail, but Madi & Evan initiated the partnership and Igor had reservations over the height difference. Somewhere there is an article about this.
I'm not saying related to the height, I'm saying Schpilbands preference for teams having strong boy provide power to the girl who performs. Thats about the way he taught technique, trained skaters in off ice and put programs together, rather than natural characteristics (although there was a lot of stuff in Schpilbands academy about weighing girls etc and wanting them to be very thin).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, after Evan had his Achilles tendon cut through by his previous partner Emily Samuelson, he spent a year recovering. After his recovery, Emily was too big for him, and he was looking for a new partner. Greg Zuerlein had retired and Madi was also looking for a new partner. They were both in Shpilband's school, and the rest is history.