Ladies' Free | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Free

fiercemao

Match Penalty
The thing is that if Mao fixes her lutz by the Olympics it could make her unbeatable...

We've been hearing all these hefty talk about xxx having fixed xxx. So far only Ando might have improved her lip. Wagner still got a big 'e', Mao is even too scared to try lutz, and she still doesn't have a 3Sal. Yu Na Kim still hasn't been able to land a 3loop. It's said Joannie fixed her 'flutz', but the truth is we don't know how harsh her original 'flutz' would be judged under this new system. I doubt she had ever flutzed as bad as Mao/Caroline/Wagner etc.

Fixing a jump technique learned at age of 6 or 7 is far more difficult than most posters realized.

Mao is facing real danger of losing her jumps by trying to fix some minor things.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:scratch: Very questionable GOE judging on Mao's 3toe attempt in the LP: -2 -2 0 0 0 0 1 1 1

Seriously, judges, get your act together! There shouldn't be that much disparity. How in the world does a 2-footed 3toe qualify for +1 or 0 GOE? :sheesh:

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
We've been hearing all these hefty talk about xxx having fixed xxx. So far only Ando might have improved her lip. Wagner still got a big 'e', Mao is even too scared to try lutz, and she still doesn't have a 3Sal. Yu Na Kim still hasn't been able to land a 3loop. It's said Joannie fixed her 'flutz', but the truth is we don't know how harsh her original 'flutz' would be judged under this new system. I doubt she had ever flutzed as bad as Mao/Caroline/Wagner etc.

Fixing a jump technique learned at age of 6 or 7 is far more difficult than most posters realized.

Mao is facing real danger of losing her jumps by trying to fix some minor things.

Miki's flip is a bit inconsistent now. But Yu-na landed a triple loop twice last year. She was landing them in practice at Skate America, and landed them as a Junior. The Jump is just inconsistent. But she "can" land them.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Miki's flip is a bit inconsistent now. But Yu-na landed a triple loop twice last year. She was landing them in practice at Skate America, and landed them as a Junior. The Jump is just inconsistent. But she "can" land them.

Until she can consistently land in competitions, landing sth in practice simply does not count. We've seen these videos in which Mao landed beautiful 3S, and TT proudly claimed she landed true lutz 7 out of 10. Well, we all know what happened.

Too little credit has been given to Caroline Zhang on this front. She had no 3S two years ago, attempted an underrotated one last season. She has been landing two out of two so far this season, even did a 3S+2T.

fairly4

Medalist
i am not going to say much except you guyscomplain last year about Joannie, this year guess what high scores. Caroline zhang shouldn't have got in --guess what low scores.only skater to get downgrade . joanne should have been downgraded also.but alas cheat for canada-complain-whine get thego
figure skating bias/discrimnation will never change. becuase you, judges and the figure skating community doesn't see anything wrong.why-it has been done to the skaters, former coaches,choreographer in the past.

olympics in canada--bias judging in favor to canada.
money from japan-1million payout-biased judging for japan
past -us now not so much.

madibe

On the Ice
What an upset win for Joannie! When is the last time Mao lost to someone other than Yu-Na in competition?

L

LKR722

Agree

:think: Since she is so nervous about her flutz that makes all her jumps a mess, why not continue using it? I mean it doesn't matter actually (except for some deductions), who cares she flutz or lutz?

Congratulations to Joannie:clap: it would be perfect if she landed 3loop today. Sounds like she eventually be treated in a rational way. She deserves it!!!

I totally agree about Mao and the flutz. She can win with it. Everything else in her skating is wonderful. If I was Mao I would just work on the 3 Sal. I am so happy for Joannie!!:love::love:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The last two seasons, Mao's worst showing was at her first Grand Prix event. She has always done better later on, I'm not too worried.

Likewise, Rochette has always been a strong early season skater.

It's not an FP, if Fis meant to meaFree. Very little is Free with CoP. It's LP.

btw. I was always amazed to see Kim's inverted camel (very difficult move and should be rewarded with high GoEs.) also done by Asadao. Who did the invention first? I want to call the camel by one of their names, like Hamel Camel.

btwII - The LP was a total waltz which she did very well but it's an easy tempo once one gets the hang of it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The earliest person of those named on the other thread was Tonya Harding :laugh: Josee Chouinard picked it up from her.

shine

Record Breaker
So I guess those who ASSERTED that Joannie could only get the PCS she got at SC when skating on home ice can eat their words. Oh wait, now Joannie is getting those PCS because the ISU and Skate Canada are working together to make Canadians look better for the 2010 Olympics. :sheesh:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just saw pictures of Mao's costume. It was as "sexy" and decorative as Miki's last season's LP costume and I am afraid I don't like either of them. Mai's designer made a similar Ex costume for Mai before and Mao wore it as well this season. That Mai costume looked more weird than pretty because it just revealed the skin (i.e., covered by the skin tone cloth) too much around her tummy. This design seems a variation of it with see-through patterns. I am afraid I just don't understand why this had to the decision for this music. I guess I was expecting to see something more gorgeous and classy. I don't like the multiple strings above her chest that stand out so much on her fair skin. I also don't like the see through design around her tummy. Both look so loudly-colored on her fair skin and look too decorative. There would be a lot of costumes that could show more understated sexiness and elegance. I am sorry, unlike other dresses of hers that she has had, I just can't find it very tasteful. But this is just my personal taste and I respect ppl who love it. I understand it's sexy. I myself have very fair skin and when I wear black dresses with even simpler designs, some guys just love it too much. I think even if you are revealing just the same amount of your skin as you do in a white dress, the vivid color contrast between the dress and your skin tone makes it more suggestive.To me, this dress seems too loudly-colored and loudly-designed for her.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
So I guess those who ASSERTED that Joannie could only get the PCS she got at SC when skating on home ice can eat their words. Oh wait, now Joannie is getting those PCS because the ISU and Skate Canada are working together to make Canadians look better for the 2010 Olympics. :sheesh:

I can already see how tiresome this is going to become over the next couple of years. The sheer amount of vitriol I've read directed at the Canadian skaters on this board of late is ridiculous at the same time it's depressing. Skaters like Rochette, Chan, Dube/Davison and Virtue and Moir have been working their butts off for years and it's finally starting to pay off in results and it seems all I read about it how undeserving they are, and it must be Canada buying off judges/the ISU/some nebulous "them". It can't possibly be because they are good skaters performing well. I'll echo the "sheesh".

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I can already see how tiresome this is going to become over the next couple of years. The sheer amount of vitriol I've read directed at the Canadian skaters on this board of late is ridiculous at the same time it's depressing. Skaters like Rochette, Chan, Dube/Davison and Virtue and Moir have been working their butts off for years and it's finally starting to pay off in results and it seems all I read about it how undeserving they are, and it must be Canada buying off judges/the ISU/some nebulous "them". It can't possibly be because they are good skaters performing well. I'll echo the "sheesh".

I second that. this is petty and pathetic. However, let's not get worked up on this. It is just not worth your breath. I think we should just ignore these people, and don't bother responding to them, well because they are idiots, who have nothing better to do.

lmarie086

Medalist
Caroline: I think this has a lot of potential. Congrats on landing everything (although I'll never know how she got into some of them). But before she can really "perform" it, she needs a major overhaul on the jumps. Fix the technique, and fix the downgrades (which she seemed to acknowledge in the KnC). Then she can think about expression, although I did like that she made an attempt at it here; much better than at SC. And her spins and spirals were exquisite. Who would be the best person for her to go to for jumps?

Mao:...well I guess I can't watch because Icenetwork's video stops right after Caroline. Hmm.