Jenny on Favoritism- Joubert Fans will love this | Golden Skate

Jenny on Favoritism- Joubert Fans will love this

This woman totally rocks! :rock: Is this my shy, sweet, petite little ice princess? What happened to, "I just want to skate and have fun?"

By the way, about the Jordan rules in basketball, just last month he NBA officially changed the rules so that a player is allowed two steps instead of only one. Two more, and they'll catch up with Michael! ;)

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Is their any topic she won't tackle??
Nope! And even if I don't agree with everything she says, I love that she's not afraid to say it! :agree:

I do agree with her on this particular topic. I was really surprised how most people on this forum accepted the results of the Mens SP but at other places, many vehemently disagreed with the judges' scores.

There's no denying Brian skated well, but his PCS were ridiculous compared to Jeremy's. There's just no comparison between the 2 programs in terms of choreography and Jeremy's SS, transitions, interpretation verses Brian's.

I think people and judges get too wrapped over the idea that a quad automatically equals a higher PCS score. The advantage of completing a quad over a triple is already rewarded in TES points and should not be reflected in any of the components under PCS.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think people and judges get too wrapped over the idea that a quad automatically equals a higher PCS score. The advantage of completing a quad over a triple is already rewarded in TES points and should not be reflected in any of the components under PCS.

Personally I dont' think the quad base value is worth enough. The difference between Jeremy and Joubert TES wise was only 1.4. So I'm fine with the quad getting in an extra padding PCS wise.

merrybari

Final Flight
I agree the quad should be worth more. That said, here's a random observation.

Seems to muddy the waters - as if they aren't cloudy enough already - to compensate for a lower base value by rewarding in the PCS. They are SUPPOSED to be two separate areas to judge. So to me the obvious "fix" is to increase the base value of the quad and not reflect it's success in the PCS.

Elementary, my dear Watson! At least to me.

OOPS - ETA: Jenny gets an A+ for calling it like she sees it. I also agree with her! Unfortunately, I don't see it happening before February either - or for that matter in my lifetime! ( And no, I won't tell you how long that might be. :)

So best for us to sit back and enjoy the performances. In the grander scheme of things, the performances will live on long after the standings are forgotten.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
6.0 cheating, change to COP favoritism, manipulation of PC's same thing.
Posters on figure skating boards have been discussing the PC manipulation issue since the implementation of COP.

janetfan

Match Penalty
She has a point. I am glad she brought this up.

It makes me wonder about Miki's marks in Russia and also today.
With Mao out of the GPF is there anyway possible a healthy Miki won't be at the GPF? How poorly would Miki have to skate tomorrow to miss the final in Japan?

Perhaps the argument could be made that it would not be good for skating and the JSF to have both Mao and Miki miss the final.

Stars must receive preferential treatment in a skating world weaker than it has been in years.

This stuff Jenny is talking about is simply good politics. Skating needs to protect and favor it's stars and CoP is the perfect system to allow such manipulation.
We can't blame it on the Eastern Euro judge anymore just as they can't blame us - but skating is still full of the same old dirty tricks.

ETA: Anybody think ISU would like an American Lady in the GPF? Let's watch Ashley very carefully and see how she gets marked tomorrow........

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I believe this is the first time I read Jenny's writing till the end. And I did so only because Joubert is mentioned.

SusieH

On the Ice
Isn't it somewhat too exaggerating to call the result "disheartening" when Joubert's and Abbott's PCS were only less than one point apart? I liked both performances and I thought it could go either way in terms of PCS. And Joubert did a very beautiful quad-combo.
(But I would give a slight edge to Joubert's since I happened to feel very tired and exhausted after a long day of work when I watched the men's event. Joubert's performance was way more exciting. At least his "mugging and pointing to the audience" totally woke me up! :biggrin: I kept laughing when I watched him. Well, I guess I belong to the "audience of young women" that Jenny Kirk has referred to ;)).

BTW, I think maybe it's better for her to call on non-European skaters as well. She mentions Korpi, Kostner, and Joubert---all of them Europeans. That just looks weird in an article championing for non-favoritism.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Part of my issue too is that what about Daisuke's PCS. He didn't exactly have more transitions than Joubert (at all). And he got the highest PCS over all and even the highest Skating Skills scores, when he FELL on his footwork.

Plus to be frank, I actually find Abbott's program a bit boring, and I kind of feel like watching him and Kozuka back to back that Abbott can be a bit slow. Of course I've never seen him live, but I'm not so sure he has the speed and flow accross the ice someone like Joubert has. (That's something Joubert excells at) Although Joubert looked a bit slow to me this time too.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I did not watch Abott attentively enough to comment on. But I personally liked Jourbert's performance and came to agree more with people who have been saying that he has improved a lot in his presentation. He also had great speed and energy.

I thought Daisuke held up compared to Johnny but I did not check protocol and there may be perhaps something that was invisible to my eyes to which Johnny lost point. Also Johnny looked a bit slow.

MasterB

Final Flight
Favortism, in skating, never........................

On a different note, did anyone notice the number of clean programs in the men's competition? I think more than half. Can't say the same for the women.

prettykeys

Medalist
Favortism, in skating, never........................

On a different note, did anyone notice the number of clean programs in the men's competition? I think more than half. Can't say the same for the women.
Of course! This men's field is brutal...the women's, kinda meh.

prettykeys

Medalist
I did not watch Abott attentively enough to comment on. But I personally liked Jourbert's performance and came to agree more with people who have been saying that he has improved a lot in his presentation. He also had great speed and energy.

Isn't it somewhat too exaggerating to call the result "disheartening" when Joubert's and Abbott's PCS were only less than one point apart? I liked both performances and I thought it could go either way in terms of PCS. And Joubert did a very beautiful quad-combo. (But I would give a slight edge to Joubert's since I happened to feel very tired and exhausted after a long day of work when I watched the men's event. Joubert's performance was way more exciting. At least his "mugging and pointing to the audience" totally woke me up! :biggrin: I kept laughing when I watched him. Well, I guess I belong to the "audience of young women" that Jenny Kirk has referred to ;)).
Completely agree with you both!

prettykeys said:
Jeremy's program was sooooo beautiful...it looked like his skating was the electric guitar creating the music! I loved it, but the performance was a bit muted and introverted. There were sequences where Jeremy could have made stronger strokes, more powerfully projecting into the audience (a la Michelle Kwan). But unfortunately, it wasn't quite there (almost...almost), so while the program itself was gorgeous and had depth, it didn't go as deep and powerfully as it could have.

Joubert's performance was more pop-artist, perhaps a bit cheesy at times. HOWEVER, I thought it really was electrifying and drew the audience (live, and myself at home :p) in. His step sequences are awesome and energetic! So perhaps slightly inflated on Choreography, but everything else that he did was appropriate with the music he had, so I can't see glaring faults in the rest of his PCS.

My preference goes to Jeremy's SP :love:, but Joubert earned what he got.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I don't know why is such a complain when the PCS score is only a point or two away. It's not like 10 points (which will be fishy in that case).

A choreography is only one of the 5 criteria use for PCS. I for one didn't have any problem with Brian in the lead. If Yuna can get +2 GOE on her 3+3, why can't Brain get one on his 4+3, which was greatly done and one man in the competition did it.

Brain program is fun, lots of energy, dynamic and his footwork is :love: :love: awsome. It totally suit his style. while Abott has cleaner program, i found it a bit slow and boring.

shine

Record Breaker
(But I would give a slight edge to Joubert's since I happened to feel very tired and exhausted after a long day of work when I watched the men's event. Joubert's performance was way more exciting. At least his "mugging and pointing to the audience" totally woke me up! :biggrin: I kept laughing when I watched him. Well, I guess I belong to the "audience of young women" that Jenny Kirk has referred to ;)).
Well, I thought the point of having an educated panel of judges is to eliminate opinions like this from factoring into the actual scores and results. But I guess I was wrong. The judges obviously judge just like another fangirl.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Well, I thought the point of having an educated panel of judges is to eliminate opinions like this from factoring into the actual scores and results. But I guess I was wrong. The judges obviously judge just like another fangirl.

I get your point, and even though I'm not exactly Joubert's biggest fan, don't you think projecting like Joubert did to the audience and a charismatic performance like that should be rewarded? At the very least, definitely his performance scores.

Judges are human too after all, and perhaps they were also influenced by the extra-loud (and well-deserved) cheering Joubert received.

Last edited: